Tomorrows World

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Tomorrows World

Postby James P on Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:33 pm

Fifty years til we can recreate a human brain from atoms presumably with all the old brain’s memories, knowledge, experiences, skills etc inside it?

I’m sceptical.
James P

Postby Monkeybubbles on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:06 pm

James P wrote:Fifty years til we can recreate a human brain from atoms presumably with all the old brain’s memories, knowledge, experiences, skills etc inside it?

I’m sceptical.

Yeah, I'm sceptical too, to be honest. But the bloke explaining it to me seemed pretty convinced and I have to concede that he almost certainly has a better grasp of the probabilities than I do.

Your memories and stuff are stored as electrical connections between neurons, I know that much, so I'm guessing that it's theoretically possible to reconstruct the neurons in such a way that the charges between them remain the same as in your 'real' brain.

As regards timescales, according to many learned commentators the rate of technological advancement continually increases exponentially. It took millions of years to evolve the wheel, from there it took thousands of years to evolve the silicon chip, then tens of years to evolve the internet. This is seen as another point on the same curve. Again, to be honest, I don't fully understand the theorem myself but I do find it fairly fascinating.
Monkeybubbles

Postby Samba on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:16 pm

Monkeybubbles wrote:I'd flick the switch myself. No room for sentiment here, get in the queue.

I was wondering where poor, old Cuenca was, lately..
Samba

Location: Playing Humm Bug & trying to hum, 'Ballroom Blitz'...

Postby Samba on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:17 pm

Sliema1990 wrote:The DFS Sale will end.

You're in the realms of fantasy now, mate..
Samba

Location: Playing Humm Bug & trying to hum, 'Ballroom Blitz'...

Postby Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:16 pm

FreeWheeling wrote:They are called swarm drones
these pint size little ****ers are the future of modern warfare.
I have seen some details of this kit (which for obvious reasons I wont do into detail)
but drones are going to become a massive thing in future battlespace, along with other AI kit

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-must-be-ready-to-use-hard-power-says-defence-secretary-11634264

Also was reading about Chinese and Russian future military tactics, whereby they used drone swarms to overawe naval defences (was a fictional book mind, but can see that it would work. As drones are so cheap to manufacture and deploy compared to complex anti-missile defences).
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Previous

Return to The Snug