Burglary what more can you do

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Burglary what more can you do

Postby peter49uk on Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:28 pm

Found this now https://www.patlock.co.uk/installation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you use one of these or not make sure the handle securing screw heads are only accessible from inside the house.
peter49uk

Postby Mega Ron on Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:01 pm

We have **** all of any real value in our house. Unless they want to make off with the sofa and my Baker Mayfield shirt
Mega Ron

Postby mumbles87 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:13 pm

Next door has gone to mr don’t worry about security to mr paranoid

Installed an outside light he can turn on from his phone with siren

Cctv

He called me today saying he saw a car drive over his front yest could I check my camera

Car clearly came from one direction on a main road and used our drives and pavement to turn round rather than hold up traffic lol
mumbles87

Postby Officer Dibble on Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:55 am

Not sure where you live Mumbles, but the MO for the burglary is the same as we have in Surrey/ Hampshire/ Thames Valley borders.

A lot of them happen around dusk/ early evening at this time of year, the scum can see which houses are empty as lights are off, curtains open. As good as the locks on the doors are, or those locks fitted over handles, all they do is smash rear UPVC glass sliding doors and go through the gap, normally they don't open the door. These doors are normally in the back of the house, access via side driveways or over neighbours fences. A lot of the time they will knock the front door to see if there is an answer, Ring doorbells are a deterrent.

Best advice I can give is have an alarm and also Ring/ Hive cameras. I honestly cannot remember the last burglary I attended where the victims had one or both of these.

I have been to burglaries with dogs left in the house, they are normally locked in the kitchen.

The scum that commit these use cloned plate cars and tend to travel over big areas. They tend to turn the house over, everything is pulled out of cupboards/ drawers.

My advice, as horrible as it sounds, make YOUR house look more of a challenge than other houses on the road/ area. If they look at two identical houses, House One is fitted with an alarm/ cameras, House Two without then 99.9% of the time it will be House Two that gets targeted.

Register all property on https://www.immobilise.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - it is free. Anything you purchase of value then list, include Serial Numbers etc. We do recover property, if we can guarantee who the owner was then the items are returned.

If you see anything suspicious then report it - personally I would rather attend nothing incident than a burglary victim. If ANYONE knows someone doing this then report them to Police. You're not a grass/ snitch - you are a decent person who can prevent people losing some really sentimental items.
Officer Dibble

Postby mumbles87 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:47 am

Officer Dibble wrote:Not sure where you live Mumbles, but the MO for the burglary is the same as we have in Surrey/ Hampshire/ Thames Valley borders.

Elm Park in Havering dibble ,

Thanks for the tips

I’m looking at ring 2 but the reviews seem very hit and miss.

This is what we have at moment / what is on way to be installed

A dog
An alarm (with box externally)
Cctv (one on the front door visible another reason I’m unsure of ring as I have a camera their already)
Fence spikes (with signs to warn people their there)
The patlock thing across the french doors
A dog warning sign front and back of house
Cctv warning signs front and back
mumbles87

Postby S-H on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:30 am

Blimey mumbles, You must have loads of stuff worth nicking...

Well that's what I'd be thinking if I was a thief anyway..

:arry:
S-H

Postby Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:17 am

S-H wrote:Blimey mumbles, You must have loads of stuff worth nicking...

Well that's what I'd be thinking if I was a thief anyway..

Nah, he's spunked all his dough on the security features..
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Postby FreeWheeling on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:21 pm

He will come home one day to find all his security devices nicked

Funniest one I have heard of recently was 4 grands worth of AstroTurf stolen from someones back garden, considering the tonnage of sand that goes on top , thats some work
FreeWheeling

Postby mumbles87 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:45 pm

FreeWheeling wrote:He will come home one day to find all his security devices nicked

Funniest one I have heard of recently was 4 grands worth of AstroTurf stolen from someones back garden, considering the tonnage of sand that goes on top , thats some work

modern day astro doesnt require sand though

ours hasnt got it for certain
mumbles87

Postby jastons on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:56 pm

Someone must've nicked it
jastons

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:39 pm

ive just put a sign up on in my front garden listing what next door have in their house and shed and an arrow pointing towards it
psychoscoredthelot

Postby S-H on Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:40 pm

psychoscoredthelot wrote:ive just put a sign up on in my front garden listing what next door have in their house and shed and an arrow pointing towards it

S-H

Postby Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:12 pm

psychoscoredthelot wrote:ive just put a sign up on in my front garden listing what next door have in their house and shed and an arrow pointing towards it

I'd laugh my tits off if your neighbour spund the arrow around to point at your house...
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Postby upton girlie on Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:17 pm

FreeWheeling wrote:Funniest one I have heard of recently was 4 grands worth of AstroTurf stolen from someones back garden, considering the tonnage of sand that goes on top , thats some work

Happened to me. A week after £20k of Astro was laid, burglars turned up and tried lifting it. Luckily it alerted my cctv (alerted from my mobile app) and we quickly sent the police round to catch them in the act.

Since then I’ve got more cctv (7 cameras), electric (ram proof) gate and spikes on all the external walls and fences in addition to a top notch alarm system and 2 dogs.

The police have caught 3 burglars and 4 car thieves from my cctv, on neighbouring properties as well as a silly bunch of kids drug dealing in our cul de sac. I have no problem with them asking to view the recordings and I think they like popping round for a cuppa anyway.

Myself and another neighbour are linked in with our additional ring apps and therefore cover every bit of action.

There is absolutely no way I would hesitate in getting a decent alarm and cctv - you’d be mad not to.
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery

Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."

Postby Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:33 pm

upton girlie wrote: Happened to me. A week after £20k of Astro was laid, burglars turned up and tried lifting it. .

Inside job?

I remember many years ago working over at White City, spent best part of a week laying out several hundreds of meters (probaly closer to thousands) of armoured cabling and even terminating the ends, only to have someone nick it over the weekend.

Must have been an inside job as they would have had to have used motorised cable reels, drums, rollers, a large flatbed,etc. They broke into the plant sheds and sliced the terminations, so they would have had to used power tools, the lot.

Another time had my tools all nicked, being self-employed ended up getting pumped, as the guy who employed me said I was no use to anyone without tools.
Wouldn't have minded, but all I needed was a square, hacksaw and file, as all I was doing was doing tray work. But was told what if he wanted me to go to another job? Timing sucked, had a holiday booked, so it was either spend my hard earned on tools, or keep for holiday spending money.

Bastards, the lot of them.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Postby upton girlie on Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:57 pm

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote:
Inside job?

We have one pathetic, evil neighbour in our road. I’ve mentioned her before when her car got nicked and she asked to see our cctv to try and find out more, which I politely declined.
It was her son and his mates (before her nicked car event) that tried to lift the Astro. She has never forgiven me despite the fact that her sons are complete (Chelsea supporting) thugs that spend their time at her majesties pleasure for various assault/drugs charges and she is a witch that is detested by all.

We had to call the police last night regarding one of her sons as he was being physically and verbally aggressive to my neighbour, who also happens to be in a wheelchair. Absolute lowlifes.
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery

Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."

Postby mumbles87 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:32 pm

They say you should use times for lights and stuff when you go away so I used this as an opportunity to invest in some tech

couple of smart plugs and smart bulbs

schedules for them to come on at diff times to look like someones in

found that modern TVs you have internal timers so can set them up to go on and off at certain times.

cant beat a bit of tech
mumbles87

Postby Heysel76 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:28 pm

Mumbles it sounds a very similar job to the one on my elderly Aunt in Grays a week or 2 ago.
I don't live locally, but believe it was in the Thurrock Gazette online.
Not sure if that helps you, but thought it worth mentioning?
Heysel76

Postby mumbles87 on Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:13 am

Heysel76 wrote:Mumbles it sounds a very similar job to the one on my elderly Aunt in Grays a week or 2 ago.
I don't live locally, but believe it was in the Thurrock Gazette online.
Not sure if that helps you, but thought it worth mentioning?

Think it’s happening a lot more and burglary has changed

A neighbour who moved recently said of the incident when he heard that when he was young it was hire a moving van and just empty a house

Crime stays the method changes I guess
mumbles87

Postby shakawakahislop on Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:41 am

Rottweiler
Multiple katanas
Multiple machetes
Chef knives
Paintball guns

Stopped 1 attempted in my life, heartbeats racing but get yourself a well trained dog and you will have the jump on said Intruder, the rest is incase they don't go away
shakawakahislop

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug