My name is .... and I'm ....

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: My name is .... and I'm ....

Postby V-M on Tue May 14, 2019 10:31 am

ironilunga wrote:I am on a mission for the next 6 months. I wouldn't say my alcohol consumption is out of control but I do overindulge a couple of times a week and my diet is awful. As such I am totally out of shape and rather portly.

Now in my forties I have decided I am not going down without a fight. I could easily continue putting on the pounds as I head through my forties towards the abyss - But no, I am aiming to get a level of fitness and a body back that has alluded me for many many years!!

The next 6 months are going to be alcohol free and full of exercise as I reach my goal. I have a very specific reason for doing this that is an easy motivator for me. There is of course the added bonus that by the end of it all I will look the best I have looked in two decades! (I would put up before and after pictures but dont want to scare the locals :D )

Sorry if I have gone off topic a bit but I totally get the notion of needing to add something to your life once you subtract stuff like junk food or booze.

Continued best wishes!

Best of luck ironilunga!

I too had a poor diet, eating habits and I am well out of shape. I wouldn't eat much all day then time my evening meal for when the wine ran out which would usually end up with me going striaght to bed and getting a **** nights sleep.

Since stopping (2 weeks today!) I am eating a good breakfast and snacking on better food during the day. My evening meal is a lot more healthy and much earlier than before. In these last 2 weeks Ive also shed half a stone and feel a whole lot better mentally nd physically. I start my new job on Monday and despite separating I am getting on very well with my missus even though we have made the right decision for now. Life is full of positives at the moment and the kind words on here have gone a long way to putting me where I am now.
V-M

Postby mushy on Tue May 14, 2019 11:19 am

V-M
Thats great news for you and very well done. Good luck in the new job and hope your personal life improves soon.
We're all on your side.
mushy

Postby Balhamite on Tue May 14, 2019 1:03 pm

V-M - great work, keep it up!

Ironlunga - good luck. Try Parkrun on a Saturday morning for good exercise incentives.

This thread could become as important as the mental health thread, well done all, and keep contributing.
Balhamite

Postby Samba on Tue May 14, 2019 4:41 pm

V-M wrote: My evening meal is a lot more healthy and much earlier than before. In these last 2 weeks I've also shed half a stone and feel a whole lot better mentally and physically.

That's good going in 2 weeks. They say 2 pound a week is a good rate. The slower it comes off, the less likely it is to go back on.
It's also good when you've had something obvious to give up; that's when it's a bit easier to do & you really see a difference, quite quickly.
Well done!
Samba

Postby dtp2 on Tue May 14, 2019 5:24 pm

My name's Danny - I'm a recovered addict.

If anyone needs to talk - I'm happy to speak over PM
dtp2

Postby Toulouse_Iron on Tue May 14, 2019 6:01 pm

The only thing I've managed to give up has been smoking. After several failed attempts, I just decided that that was it.
I had a packet of tobacco containing a tiny amount of tobacco dust and I rolled the smallest roll-up in the history of roll-ups. The dust was so fine, I had to keep the bloody fag vertical or it would have fallen out.
I then saw myself and how ridiculous I must have looked and decided not to smoke.

Here's the difference: I didn't decide to stop smoking, I didn't say to myself "I've given up smoking" , it was rather "I don't smoke". It is a small difference but the outlook is not the same: there is no sacrifice involved. I didn't want to be a whiny, holier than thou ex smoker (Can't abide them), so I made a point of changing nothing in my routine: people can smoke in my house, car (windows open) I don't care, it no longer concerns me: I am free.
I also know that there is no such thing as just one cigarette. My Dad gave up for 18 years, smoked 1 fag and was back on 20 a day within 2 days. It will be 10 years in september and I don't miss it.

Anyway, well done all of you!
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form

Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on

Postby Samba on Tue May 14, 2019 10:27 pm

And well done to you as well as Danny, Toulouse!
Always great to read.
Samba

Postby V-M on Wed May 15, 2019 6:03 am

When I started the thread I purposely left out the name and addiction and replaced them with '...' to give anyone the opportunity to talk about their issues. The replies have gone a long way to helping me, I hope it can help other too.
V-M

Postby S-H on Fri May 17, 2019 6:46 am

How you getting on V-M?
S-H

Postby V-M on Fri May 17, 2019 7:58 am

S-H wrote:How you getting on V-M?

Not bad buddy, still not had a drink and definitely over any cravings. Also using weight loss as a reason, I was about 18 stone (6'3") but now down to 16st 10lbs. Would like to be about 15 long term.

I do keep looking at non alcoholic beers but haven't bought any yet, still concerned they might get me back on the real stuff Image
V-M

Postby Clacton-ammer on Fri May 17, 2019 7:58 am

Fair play VM, smashing it up :thup:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby S-H on Fri May 17, 2019 8:05 am

V-M wrote:
Not bad buddy, still not had a drink and definitely over any cravings. Also using weight loss as a reason, I was about 18 stone (6'3") but now down to 16st 10lbs. Would like to be about 15 long term.

That's brilliant dude, the weight loss must be a huge bonus to the process.

Your call on the non-alcoholic beer, for whatever it's worth, someone bought me a pint of the stuff, without me knowing once, and I had absolutely no idea whatsoever, might be worth a try a bit further down the line when you're more confident you have a handle on it all, although by that time you might not want to at all, so win win.
S-H

Previous

Return to The Snug