My name is .... and I'm ....

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: Rio, Gnome, chalks, -DL-, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

Re: My name is .... and I'm ....

Postby DasNutNock on Sat May 04, 2019 3:03 pm

V-M wrote:By the way, I feel bloody great today. 4 days with no real urges, just a positive outlook on my life and what to do with the future. Just need my loved ones to know I mean it.

Just a word of caution - when you're on the up, feeling happy and confident and you're in control of your life, and you've got on top of your addiction, and you've kept off it for X weeks, months or years, and the sun's shining, and everything's just ticketty-boo, that can often be the time you're most tempted to think "yeah, go on, I can have a drink/snout/line etc, won't be a problem, just the one".

That's certainly the time I've been most likely to fall off the wagon, and it's amazing how quick you go from "just the one" to "caning it again, bigtime". I'm having my annual battle to stay off the snouts at the moment, and it won't really pass until September, when the nights draw in a bit. I do rather wonder if I'll ever stop wanting to smoke.
DasNutNock

Postby Samba on Sat May 04, 2019 8:56 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Just a word of caution - when you're on the up, feeling happy and confident and you're in control of your life, and you've got on top of your addiction, and you've kept off it for X weeks, months or years, and the sun's shining, and everything's just ticketty-boo, that can often be the time you're most tempted to think "yeah, go on, I can have a drink/snout/line etc, won't be a problem, just the one".
That's certainly the time I've been most likely to fall off the wagon, and it's amazing how quick you go from "just the one" to "caning it again, bigtime". I'm having my annual battle to stay off the snouts at the moment, and it won't really pass until September, when the nights draw in a bit. I do rather wonder if I'll ever stop wanting to smoke.

That's all so true, Dan.
I think if you've realised that you've got a problem with overindulging OR just don't want to be doing something anymore, maybe the only way IS to never touch it again.
Giving in & going back on something again just means that you're never really going to be free of it.
I know that everyone's different & some people haven't got a problem & can stay sensible.
I also know that I'm not one of those people.
I firmly believe that the longer you go without something addictive, the more you get away from it & the easier it is. Going back on it & giving in, is just fatal.
Samba

Postby V-M on Sat May 04, 2019 9:12 pm

Tough one today, real temptation.

Was at the Peterborough v Burton game and queued up at half time for some refreshments. Ice cold bottles of Carlsberg were looking sooo good. Had a word with myself and got a bottle of water instead.

5 days dry.
V-M

Postby S-H on Sat May 04, 2019 9:24 pm

Good work dude :thup:
S-H

Postby DasNutNock on Sat May 04, 2019 9:29 pm

V-M wrote:Tough one today, real temptation.

Was at the Peterborough v Burton game and queued up at half time for some refreshments. Ice cold bottles of Carlsberg were looking sooo good. Had a word with myself and got a bottle of water instead.

5 days dry.

TBH, it's unlikely to get much harder than that. One way to keep off the sauce is to drive everywhere, all the time.
DasNutNock

Postby ageing hammer on Sun May 05, 2019 4:41 pm

V-M wrote:Tough one today, real temptation.

5 days dry.

That was a hard one mate but well done you got through it :thup:
ageing hammer

Postby V-M on Sun May 05, 2019 8:15 pm

6 days in and still going strong. Treated myself to some fresh fruit juice (orange and pineapple) tonight. A week ago the only fruit juice I would have considered would be fermented grapes.

I'm feeling annoyingly great. And I've lost a couple of lbs this week as well. :raver:
V-M

Postby Samba on Sun May 05, 2019 8:21 pm

Samba wrote:Only just tonight in Sainsburys, I saw bottles of 'Old Speckled Hen' at only 0.5% alcohol.
Seems a very good idea.

V-M wrote:They sell this at my Golf Club, apparently it's pretty decent and its been suggested to me by a couple of mates. I think it's a bit too early to try (need to keep away from the taste of beer for a while) but long term it could be a winner.

I wasn't sure about posting that here VM as it did feel a bit stupid of me when someone is trying to get away from it altogether. Your reply was spot on.
Congrats on 6 days!
Samba

Postby V-M on Tue May 07, 2019 9:08 pm

8 days in and I'm starting to feel like a complete fraud, I've read and heard loads of stories of people who were drinking much more than me and who have gone through hell trying to knock it on the head. A couple of times I've fancied a cold beer but had no urges for the red wine, however I know that the beer WILL lead to wine so total abstination is the only thing for me for now.

If i can ever get to the stage where I can have a beer or two and just leave it at that I'll be a happy man. For now though, I'm really enjoying feeling good, losing weight and sleeping properly. And the improvement in my golf game is no coincidence either. Plus I've got a few extra quid in my back pocket too.
V-M

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed May 08, 2019 12:26 am

V-M -

What I found was after reaching 14 days things got a bit easier - those first few days are always going to be horrible and you'll be thinking that a couple of beers won't half make you feel better - Stay Away from temptation .

The time I knew I had beaten it was when I walked past the booze aisle without giving the drink a second thought - nowadays I'll choose Jennie a nice bottle of wine and bring home our son's favourite pear cider without giving myself a single thought - my tipple is over in the soft drink section . :)

The hot summer days when the barbeques come out I sometimes will get the urge for a cold bottle of Peroni but I know that I've only to drink a cold orange juice & lemonade and the urge disappears , it's only a genuine thirst and that can be quenched without the use of alcohol .

Get yourself to 3 weeks and you won't be feeling the need to post so much - get yourself to 2 months and you can forget about it altogether - but if it helps , we're here .

You'll be free of it forever soon . It's a brilliant feeling trust me .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby S-H on Wed May 08, 2019 6:50 am

V-M wrote:8 days in and I'm starting to feel like a complete fraud, I've read and heard loads of stories of people who were drinking much more than me and who have gone through hell trying to knock it on the head. A couple of times I've fancied a cold beer but had no urges for the red wine, however I know that the beer WILL lead to wine so total abstination is the only thing for me for now.

If i can ever get to the stage where I can have a beer or two and just leave it at that I'll be a happy man. For now though, I'm really enjoying feeling good, losing weight and sleeping properly. And the improvement in my golf game is no coincidence either. Plus I've got a few extra quid in my back pocket too.

All positive, good work.

:thup:
S-H

Postby V-M on Wed May 08, 2019 7:31 am

Cheers fellas.

I really thought it would be harder than this but I guess I'm lucky that I dont have any physical withdrawal issues.

What I didn't mention is that I separated from my wife 2 weeks ago (she moves out today) and alcohol played a big part in the problems we had. Whilst it was never really confrontational, I did use the booze to slip into my own little 'bubble' and ignore the differences between us and avoid trying to build bridges. We are still good mates and can talk openly but need our own space.

Anyway, I really appreciate all the support Ive had on here.

Thanks.
V-M

Postby Monkeybubbles on Wed May 08, 2019 7:38 am

V-M wrote:Cheers fellas.

I really thought it would be harder than this but I guess I'm lucky that I dont have any physical withdrawal issues.

What I didn't mention is that I separated from my wife 2 weeks ago (she moves out today) and alcohol played a big part in the problems we had. Whilst it was never really confrontational, I did use the booze to slip into my own little 'bubble' and ignore the differences between us and avoid trying to build bridges. We are still good mates and can talk openly but need our own space.

Anyway, I really appreciate all the support Ive had on here.

Thanks.

Jesus, mate.

If it's any help, I feel sure that your missus will appreciate the efforts you are making now and you can work towards a reconciliation, should you want one.

Once again, more power to you V-M, you are taking control.
Monkeybubbles

Postby S-H on Wed May 08, 2019 7:46 am

I haven't had a drink since Friday, and I have discovered that I only really crave one when I'm on the Xbox (usually have one or two when I'm on it) so it's just going to be a case of reconditioning myself to get out of the habits.
S-H

Postby V-M on Wed May 08, 2019 8:14 am

Monkeybubbles wrote:
Jesus, mate.

If it's any help, I feel sure that your missus will appreciate the efforts you are making now and you can work towards a reconciliation, should you want one.

Once again, more power to you V-M, you are taking control.

Cheers mate.

Its a bit the other way at the moment, she asked why I couldn't do it before she decided to go. I just didn't expect it and was happy in my own little alcohol fuelled world.

I dont know if a reconciliation will be possible, we are very different people and the differences did cause me to slip into my own bad habits. I dont want anyone hurt (especially with an 8 year old around) so its definitely the best for move for now even though its not easy.

Anyway, trying to be positive, at least Ive had time to adjust to her leaving whilst getting off the booze. If I'd come home that night and she was already out the door I doubt if I would be in the same position now.
V-M

Postby V-M on Wed May 08, 2019 8:15 am

S-H wrote:I haven't had a drink since Friday, and I have discovered that I only really crave one when I'm on the Xbox (usually have one or two when I'm on it) so it's just going to be a case of reconditioning myself to get out of the habits.

Weirdness.

I can play my Xbox sober but as soon as I have a drink I have to turn it off!
V-M

Postby S-H on Wed May 08, 2019 8:25 am

V-M wrote:
Weirdness.

It's my middle name.
S-H

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed May 08, 2019 11:11 am

V-M wrote:Cheers fellas.

That was a huge bit you omitted there , V-M - having to deal with a separation AND give up the booze , that is one hell of a challenge there , mate .
Perhaps that was the reality check you needed but I'm truly sorry to hear that it affected your marriage to the point of separation - perhaps there'll be hope of a reconciliation in the future if it's something you both want ?
The Old Man of Storr

Postby ereford ammer on Wed May 08, 2019 8:17 pm

We are all rooting for you V-M. :thup:
ereford ammer

Postby V-M on Wed May 08, 2019 9:16 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
That was a huge bit you omitted there , V-M - having to deal with a separation AND give up the booze , that is one hell of a challenge there , mate .
Perhaps that was the reality check you needed but I'm truly sorry to hear that it affected your marriage to the point of separation - perhaps there'll be hope of a reconciliation in the future if it's something you both want ?

I dunno mate, like I said in an earlier post we still have our friendship, if we reconcile and it all goes pear shaped again then there's a good chance that could go bad as well. Not really sure I want to risk that with a young un mixed up in all this.

Its tough, I just watched her drive off taking the two dogs with her as well as a car full of other crap. The lad is staying here tonight (and tomorrow) with me, he'll have his first night at her new gaff on Friday.

One good thing is Im finally free of the beast, not my wife but that werewolf hound of hers that I spoke about in a different post a few weeks ago.

Got to take some positive out of this...
V-M

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug