SKY'S THE LIMIT Fascinating pics reveal how 1980s London’s E

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: Rio, Gnome, chalks, -DL-, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

SKY'S THE LIMIT Fascinating pics reveal how 1980s London’s E

Postby cockney hammer on Thu May 09, 2019 8:17 pm

SKY'S THE LIMIT Fascinating pics reveal how 1980s London’s East End transformed into city metropolis it is today
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9038507/p ... med-today/
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Re: SKY'S THE LIMIT Fascinating pics reveal how 1980s London’s E

Postby Pop Robson on Sat May 11, 2019 8:53 am

Liverpool St station had the Apple & Pears pub either under or at the top of those stairs

I worked on the build of Cascades Tower on the Isle of Dogs late 80s, first private flats built there. The DLR was running and stopping where Canary Wharf DLR station is nowdays, but there was nothing there !
Pop Robson

Postby prophet:marginal on Sat May 11, 2019 9:49 am

Pop Robson wrote:Liverpool St station had the Apple & Pears pub either under or at the top of those stairs

...and Casey Jones
prophet:marginal

Postby WHU Independent on Sat May 11, 2019 8:07 pm

High Road Letyonstone 1987 pic - that pub on the left was The Red Lion and the road opposite Lemna Road. I used to work there (Lemna Road) up till 1986 and we were in the Red Lion most days, if not we were in the North Star round the back there. Great days and a lovely place to work back in the day.
WHU Independent

Postby delbert on Sat May 11, 2019 10:25 pm

1980's East London (well parts of it) can be revisited by watching a few episodes of this gem:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/prospects/

Try watching it and recognising the same places today.......
delbert

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sat May 11, 2019 11:21 pm

WHU Independent wrote:High Road Letyonstone 1987 pic - that pub on the left was The Red Lion and the road opposite Lemna Road. I used to work there (Lemna Road) up till 1986 and we were in the Red Lion most days, if not we were in the North Star round the back there. Great days and a lovely place to work back in the day.

The Red Lion is in the third Leytonstone High Road pic on the right opposite Boots.
Well, that is where the Red Lion is now anyway
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Pop Robson on Mon May 13, 2019 4:22 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:...and Casey Jones

Don't remember that one, maybe it was pre my drinking days

I do remember the TV show, Casey Jones a steaming and rolling,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Pop Robson

Postby vietnammer on Mon May 13, 2019 6:56 pm

Casey Jones was a burger chain wasn't it? There was one in King's Cross. Maybe they were just in railway stations.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby mushy on Mon May 13, 2019 9:32 pm

WHU Independent wrote:High Road Letyonstone 1987 pic - that pub on the left was The Red Lion and the road opposite Lemna Road. I used to work there (Lemna Road) up till 1986 and we were in the Red Lion most days, if not we were in the North Star round the back there. Great days and a lovely place to work back in the day.

Wasnt the pub opposite Lemna Road called The Crown?
You will be glad to know that The North Star is still going strong and is one of my favourite pubs, if not my favourite (now that The Nightingale has become overrun with charlie heads).
mushy

Postby timc01 on Mon May 13, 2019 9:54 pm

...and Casey Jones

Blimey that's taken me back to my late teen's and early 20's, working on Old Broad St and many a late night drunken Casey Jones before getting on the train back to Essex.

I remember when the knocked down the old Broad Street Station to build Broadgate. All the rats moved into our offices, had rat **** on my desk many a morning. And the dust!
timc01

Postby Pop Robson on Mon May 13, 2019 11:55 pm

I worked on Broadgate when it was being build the money was great back then, big drinking culture though no wonder I got divorced !
Pop Robson

Postby RichieRiv on Tue May 14, 2019 6:17 am

Same thing happened when they demolished the Legal and General / SMBC building on Queen Vic Street to build the now Bloomberg building. The rats migrated out to the surrounding area including Cannon St. Apparently rats were coming up the toilet.
RichieRiv

Postby prophet:marginal on Tue May 14, 2019 7:24 am

vietnammer wrote:Casey Jones was a burger chain wasn't it? There was one in King's Cross. Maybe they were just in railway stations.

I only remember them in railway stations.

The Liverpool Street one was on the civilised side of the station, that led to the Essex lines. The barbarians for Hertfordshire etc were platforms 1-6 iirc.
prophet:marginal

Postby Chicken Run Supreme on Tue May 14, 2019 8:15 am

vietnammer wrote:Casey Jones was a burger chain wasn't it? There was one in King's Cross. Maybe they were just in railway stations.

Remember Casey Jones well, both the old b/w tv series and the burger chain - definitely used to be in Charing Cross & Victoria stations.

One of the many reasons why I love watching The Long Good Friday is seeing London's Docklands before they were completely redeveloped.
Chicken Run Supreme

Postby Samba on Tue May 14, 2019 8:24 am

Pop Robson wrote:I worked on the build of Cascades Tower on the Isle of Dogs late 80s, first private flats built there. The DLR was running and stopping where Canary Wharf DLR station is nowadays, but there was nothing there !

To coin a phrase, remember when there were fields there? Well, grassy wasteland anyway..
Samba

Postby mushy on Tue May 14, 2019 11:31 am

mushy

Postby sendô on Tue May 14, 2019 12:33 pm

Pop Robson wrote:I worked on Broadgate when it was being build the money was great back then, big drinking culture though no wonder I got divorced !

I recently worked on the rebuild of a big part of it.
sendô

Postby WestHamByTheSea on Tue May 14, 2019 11:14 pm

Casey Jones Burgers - had forgotten all about those! I don't think I ever had one, but coming back to London from Dorset as a kid on trips back to the family, they used to look incredibly exotic (no McDonalds in Poole until 1986). Waterloo and possibly Victoria IIRC.

There was recently an aerial picture of the Olympic Stadium site from about 15 years ago, and even though that's one of the later bits of redevelopment around there, it was still strange seeing that bit NE of Stratford looking as barren as I remember it from trips 'home' as a kid. My friends and workmates in Dorset understandably never understood why I got so worked up and sentimental during the 2012 Games, but once I showed them pics of what used to be there (or 'not there'), they tolerated my reminiscences a little easier!

Since leaving East Ham aged 3 I've only come back (albeit 100's of times!) for games or family visits, so I can't compare to all of you here who have seen the area change around you, but it still amazes me how much it has changed. Even when I went to the Paralympics in 2012 and was wandering around the site trying to get my relative bearings to what was there before, it was only when I got to the end of the park and saw the flyover towards Ilford et al that I got any idea of exactly where I was!

FWIW, if it's any comfort, Bournemouth is currently being concreted over to a degree that makes East London look like the New Forest by comparison. :|
WestHamByTheSea

Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Return to The Snug