Gas BBQ question

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Gas BBQ question

Postby -DL- on Sat May 11, 2019 2:56 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Pretty sure there's a link there :)

Some old geezer I used to know had an old kettle one, and he said to me the reason why it's lasted so long is because he only cleans it just before use.

Gives it a good old scrub up in red hot water (he has hands that were made of asbestos, I'm sure of it) the morning of the 'event' as he used to call it. he worked on the basis that the grease and fat kept it protected in the winter :D

We never did accept an invite to one of his BBQ's to find out if it was safe or not....
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby FreeWheeling on Sat May 11, 2019 3:39 pm

Christ, mine gets cleaned after every use
every 3 or 4 uses it gets a deep clean
Then before winter kicks in it gets a good enough clean it looks like it has just come out of the box all bolts removed and all parts given a proper going over
aired enough to make sure that there is no dampness , then stored

On a side note I have 2 ribs to smoke tomorrow amounting to a full 74cm between both
FreeWheeling

Postby RichieRiv on Sat May 11, 2019 5:06 pm

RichieRiv

Postby DasNutNock on Sat May 11, 2019 5:20 pm

^
VERY nice bit of kit that. Looks properly solid & chunky. I like the way they powder-coat the hardware, built to last, even their cheapest charcoal BBQs.
DasNutNock

Postby RichieRiv on Sat May 11, 2019 5:43 pm

I have to admit I was umm'ing and ahh'ing prior to buying it. I looked at lots of other makes and models but settled on a weber after looking at lots of reviews.

When I put it together you can tell the parts were machined properly. It keeps temperature really well and cooks evenly. The grates are ceramic so burn off really easily. I don't buy the Weber foil trays, simply opt for Tescos.

I haven't jet washed it, but apparently, you can!

I love outdoor cooking, so when the gaff is done - so next summer - I may dip my toe into the world of kettles. My pal has a green egg, but that's too lumpy for me.
RichieRiv

Postby FreeWheeling on Sat May 11, 2019 5:47 pm

I Never buy the trays, they are a proper rip off, spent about 3 quid on a cheap small roasting dish from Morrisons, had it 3 years
FreeWheeling

Postby DasNutNock on Sat May 11, 2019 5:56 pm

RichieRiv wrote:I have to admit I was umm'ing and ahh'ing prior to buying it. I looked at lots of other makes and models but settled on a weber after looking at lots of reviews.

When I put it together you can tell the parts were machined properly. It keeps temperature really well and cooks evenly. The grates are ceramic so burn off really easily. I don't buy the Weber foil trays, simply opt for Tescos.

I haven't jet washed it, but apparently, you can!

I love outdoor cooking, so when the gaff is done - so next summer - I may dip my toe into the world of kettles. My pal has a green egg, but that's too lumpy for me.

Always worth having a kettle if you've got space to store one as well as the gas, for variation as much as anything else. I can't be doing with them kamodo jobs, either. My mate knows someone who gets the Green Egg ones at cost, so he's got the entire range in his garden. Says he's used his about twice. I'd rather have a pizza oven, if I'm honest.
DasNutNock

Postby jastons on Sat May 11, 2019 6:31 pm

RichieRiv wrote:If money is an issue, then I would suggest a BBQ is probably not on the priority

To be fair, the original post was about buying a birthday present so priority probably doesn't come in to the equation.
jastons

Postby FreeWheeling on Sat May 11, 2019 7:02 pm

Wood Fired Pizza oven , now you are talking Dan
I have over the last year or so torn myself over getting one done, We are however possibly going to shift quarters in the next 3-5 years so I can not justify to the Doris on the outlay
If we do shift, then a proper b*stard is on the cards , that will be used all year round
FreeWheeling

Postby RichieRiv on Sat May 11, 2019 7:05 pm

jastons wrote:To be fair, the original post was about buying a birthday present so priority probably doesn't come in to the equation.

I missed that.

I think I would look for another b'day present, but that's just me.
RichieRiv

Postby DasNutNock on Sat May 11, 2019 7:06 pm

Think we're in the same position. And if we don't move, I'll need to save some serious coin to eke out every last improvement we can. Bloody stamp duty :(
DasNutNock

Postby FreeWheeling on Sat May 11, 2019 7:23 pm

If we do shift quarters it will be for the last time, then I will get a full proper brick built cooking area in the garden , Me and the Doris spend more than the average amount of time in the garden, spent a good 5 grand on getting it nice
Looking out over our neighbours , not ****ing one of them even has a plant in the garden, ours looks cracking
FreeWheeling

Postby DasNutNock on Sat May 11, 2019 7:26 pm

If we're talking "retirement quarters", I'd like to copy my in laws and move to SW France, miles from anywhere. See out my days fishing, cycling, watching sport, and cooking.
DasNutNock

Postby FreeWheeling on Sat May 11, 2019 7:41 pm

Na, I will probably work for the rest of my life unless some serious coin comes my way
If it does you would not see my ass for dust as I would have it away on my toes to Sicily

Currently sat outside with the chimnea burning some sweet smelling old oak, roll up cig in one hand , glass of Irish whisky in the other, happy days
FreeWheeling

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun May 12, 2019 12:18 am

I love a nice barbeque - Jen bought me one of those £30 jobs from the Coop one summer but as you say you get what you pay for - after living in Morayshire for 5 months now I've discovered how much better the weather is here , no midgies , hardly any rain , it's sunny most days , honestly - we're moving back to Skye for the ' summer ' until September then back to Elgin way for another 9 months - if we were living here permanently I'd invest in a Weber too but it's not worth me getting one for Skye .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun May 12, 2019 12:20 am

RichieRiv wrote:
Anyhow, you can get yourself on Facebook Marketplace or even Ebay and pick up a Weber for their budget.

Other manufacturers worth looking at are; Cadac, Char broil, Beefeater and Broil king

:thup: I'll take a look .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun May 12, 2019 12:29 am

Just found a Cadac Safari Chef that looks brand new for £40 in Portree and a Weber in Aberdeen for £40 , cheers , Rich . :thup:
The Old Man of Storr

Postby RichieRiv on Sun May 12, 2019 11:33 am

My pleasure. Cadac is South African, so technically it's a Braai. More famous for their camping cooking equipment but it's supposed to be good kit - and for 40 quid who can complain.

I tend to sell more on Facebook Marketplace than buy, but it is amazing what's on there and how cheap it goes. I sold my old kitchen and appliances.
RichieRiv

Postby Samba on Sun May 12, 2019 11:19 pm

I hope this thread isn't shed related in some way..
Samba

Postby Hammer1972 on Mon May 13, 2019 8:16 am

FreeWheeling wrote:a 200 quid gas BBQ as you say Dan will be rust dust inside 18 months
My daughter wants a BBQ tomorrow at her place, So I have cleaned and packed up my weber to take round there, Buggered If I am going to cook on her tinny gas crap which has been left out since last year uncovered

What nonsense.

We have a gas BBQ, pretty sure it was from B+Q or Homebase and I know we paid less than £200 - about 8 years ago! Been used every summer and not a trace of rust anywhere, good as the day it was bought.
Hammer1972

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug