27 storey London Tower block Fire -Latimer road

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Re: 27 storey London Tower block Fire -Latimer road

Post by White Goodman »

sendô wrote:Only an issue if said person is using that house as a commodity rather than a home.
Well sort of. Unless they ever want to move I suppose.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

I caught up with the Panorama that was aired a couple of nights ago - and I said to my wife that some of the words the blogger used when speaking about the tower and the risks they envisaged seemed - for want of a better word - quite sinister really. Almost too prophetic if you know what I mean. I sincerely hope that the cause of this is a tragic accident and not somebody trying to prove a point.

I don't mean to cause any offence in this - but there was something about some of the wording that really didn't sit comfortable with me.
Whitters
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 73 likes

Post by Whitters »

On a slightly lighter note, and apologies if mentioned before, but a mate of a mate is in the fire service and was called into action that night.

They were using the yard of a Sikh community centre to store and change their breathing gear. The senior Sikh guy saw what they were doing, and within a few hours had arranged for a massive Indian buffet to be set up to serve the firefighters, complete with hot stone to make fresh bread.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 1636 likes

Post by chalks »

New developments now have to have an element of affordable hoUsing, so looks like they have been acquired
mushy
Has liked: 654 likes
Total likes: 879 likes

Post by mushy »

White Goodman wrote:The person in the 8.5m penthouse must be absolutely ecstatic .

Just seen a couple mill come off .
Residents in the Standard tonight, complaining that it will knock their house prices down.
Meanwhile, I reckon that those flats have already been earmarked for other social housing residents, result will be even more pissed off people.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

bubbles1966 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40357280" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Are these 68 flats part of a development yet to be built or are there 68 flats lying empty in Kensington - if it's the former then those 68 families have to be housed somewhere until they're built so why not stay there , if it's the latter why are there 68 flats lying empty in such a prestigious part of London ?
At £1.5m a pop I'd be looking at some sort of ' right to buy ' clause .
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Are these 68 flats part of a development yet to be built or are there 68 flats lying empty in Kensington - if it's the former then those 68 families have to be housed somewhere until they're built so why not stay there , if it's the latter why are there 68 flats lying empty in such a prestigious part of London ?
At £1.5m a pop I'd be looking at some sort of ' right to buy ' clause .
One in 20 properties is empty as a general rule, based on what I used to see - I worked every borough in East London and most in North London, plus some West Essex.

These places have been sold to the Corporation of London at cost price by the developers and the corp. are making them available to the council as social housing, so the cost per flat is a fraction of retail, I believe.

I think quite a lot were already planned as social housing of some kind, though they are accelerating readiness.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40357280

Seems to be a soon to be finished development. Luxury apartments but with some social housing on the side. Not ready until end July.

Nothing like pressure to hit the PC date!
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

sendô wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40357280

Seems to be a soon to be finished development. Luxury apartments but with some social housing on the side. Not ready until end July.

Nothing like pressure to hit the PC date!
The people working on it are waiving 'employee' rights to get it ready for the survivors, the developers are writing off profits and signing off quickly etc.....

Everyone seems to be doing the decent thing.
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

A bit of a tricky one this.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/n ... mmigrants/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously anyone caught up in this tragedy should be getting all the help they require, however we could be encouraging some dodgy characters to jump on the back of this.
I suppose we can only wait and see what pans out.........
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

delbert wrote:A bit of a tricky one this.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/n ... mmigrants/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously anyone caught up in this tragedy should be getting all the help they require, however we could be encouraging some dodgy characters to jump on the back of this.
I suppose we can only wait and see what pans out.........
Khan really is a helmet. There should be no amnesty for illegal immigrants regardless of them having come here and been in a fire.

Two separate things
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Whitters wrote:On a slightly lighter note, and apologies if mentioned before, but a mate of a mate is in the fire service and was called into action that night.

They were using the yard of a Sikh community centre to store and change their breathing gear. The senior Sikh guy saw what they were doing, and within a few hours had arranged for a massive Indian buffet to be set up to serve the firefighters, complete with hot stone to make fresh bread.
That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. All the Sikhs I've met have been top fellas, whether at work or in the cricket team I used to play in, they've been real down to earth fellas with absolutely no hang-ups whatsoever.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:All the Sikhs I've met have been top fellas, whether at work or in the cricket team I used to play in, they've been real down to earth fellas with absolutely no hang-ups whatsoever.
Yet 30 years ago they'd be victims of 'paki bashing', whilst 20 years before that London was full of signs saying 'no blacks, no Irish and no dogs'.

No doubt our kids will be the same as you GCRO in 20 years time with the Muslim/East European fraternity. Funny how people get on just fine when they're left to it!
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

Once the real blame game gets into gear will we see failings from the local authority over sub letting and the Home Office over any illegal immigrants dragged into the arena as well?
This whole episode is a tragic mess made up of so many cock ups it's unbelievable........
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

No we won't because nobody will want to face up to the truth, much easier just to pay people off
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Another :thup: for the Sikh community from me. Know quite a few, met quite a few on my travels and genuinely found them to be the most welcoming and community oriented people.

Don't really know anything about that religion though, other than the blokes wear turbans. Think that might be some reading for me tonight.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

delbert wrote:Once the real blame game gets into gear will we see failings from the local authority over sub letting and the Home Office over any illegal immigrants dragged into the arena as well?
This whole episode is a tragic mess made up of so many cock ups it's unbelievable........
Any illegal immigrants will most definitely definitely not be blamed for anything, not even a slight contribution to their own demise.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 177 likes

Post by James P »

White Goodman wrote:Any illegal immigrants will most definitely definitely not be blamed for anything, not even a slight contribution to their own demise.
If the fire was caused by a fridge and then spread due to poor quality cladding (or whatever it is), how would any person, illegal or otherwise, have contributed to their own demise?
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1092 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Police, fire and govt all saying the cladding doesn't pass any safety tests. Yet the product installed apparently met regulations. How does that happen?

Is it a case that the elements are fire resistant but together they don't work?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

delbert wrote:Once the real blame game gets into gear will we see failings from the local authority over sub letting and the Home Office over any illegal immigrants dragged into the arena as well?
To be fair to Theresa May she's made it clear that they're going to find someone guilty...