Trump

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Re: Trump

Post by Tenbury »

1) In what way are "the far left" ( and who the hell are they,anyhow?) Undermining the anti-Trump reaction, or Brexit?
2) In real life, are you the MP for Wokingham?
WCpete
Has liked: 1497 likes
Total likes: 3201 likes

Post by WCpete »

TTS. No, it's not a big deal. His mental health is a big deal, as it should be for any person who is POTUS.

Bill Clinton used to get a lot of ribbing back in the day as well when he'd take his big ole belly jogging while wearing short, short shorts. Not a pretty sight.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 233 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Tenbury wrote:1) In what way are "the far left" ( and who the hell are they,anyhow?) Undermining the anti-Trump reaction, or Brexit?
No idea about the Brexit debate, but in the context of anti-Trumpism (and really the unification of the Democratic Party) those pushing for a more liberal orthodoxy as a litmus test are also guilty of looking to divide rather than unify. Are they a mirror image of Trump? No. But it does lend credence to the mischaracterizations of where the Dems are (or should be). Trump saying that the Democrats are shutting down the government because they're committed to unlimited illegal immigration is a lie on many levels. But them Dems won't help themselves on this if they marginalize their constituencies who are ok with a somewhat restrictive approach.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I'm seeing on the news the USA Government has been shut down as the Senate has failed to pass a new budget.

Trump is blaming the Democrats, but as the Republicans control Congress, the Senate and the White House I'm at a loss to see how. Some Republicans even voted against it but it's somehow the Democrats fault.

Please explain.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Bitter, I studied American politics at Uni, in 1975 ! ...so I think you're probably a bit more up to date than me...Suffice to say,I'm sure the Democrats have to play a clever hand here, just expecting everyone to realise that Donny Dafto is a complete dickhead won't work....a hell of a lot of people actually voted for him,and they'll only change their mind if he's shown up to be incompetent, a 24 carat ,narcissistic tossbag won't be enough.
What rattled my chain was someone whom I've always had a lot of time for suggested that any group on your side of the pond (or this,to be honest) could've been described as 'far left'!! The U.S. to my mind has an honourable history of far left militancy.Sadly,it went tits up circa 1920!
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

A fair assumption would be that people from all sorts of backgrounds have issues with Trump for a multitude of reasons. In that case it would be equally fair to assume people from all sorts of backgrounds support Trump for a multitude of reasons.
Both sides shouldn't be so quick to try to stereotype the other..........
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

delbert wrote:A fair assumption would be that people from all sorts of backgrounds have issues with Trump for a multitude of reasons. In that case it would be equally fair to assume people from all sorts of backgrounds support Trump for a multitude of reasons.
That is some seriously specious logic. Someone smarter than me can correct, but I believe that's called a contrapositive.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Tenbury wrote:Bitter, I studied American politics at Uni, in 1975 ! ...so I think you're probably a bit more up to date than me...Suffice to say,I'm sure the Democrats have to play a clever hand here, just expecting everyone to realise that Donny Dafto is a complete dickhead won't work....a hell of a lot of people actually voted for him,and they'll only change their mind if he's shown up to be incompetent, a 24 carat ,narcissistic tossbag won't be enough.
What rattled my chain was someone whom I've always had a lot of time for suggested that any group on your side of the pond (or this,to be honest) could've been described as 'far left'!! The U.S. to my mind has an honourable history of far left militancy.Sadly,it went tits up circa 1920!
Is easier to be in the opposition than it is to lead, especially when it's a slim majority that lacks unifying causes. Right now both sides are playing the blame game but I think most people will conclude that when one party controls both houses of congress and the presidency that they should be able to keep things on track. Recent history shows that voters lose patience when those in control (whichever party) blame their failures on those who are not. In order to compensate, the majority will do their best to demonize the other side as a bunch of extremists.

Personally, I'm a centrist, but positions only matter when there's a fact-based discussion, and that ain't happening in the current climate.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

delbert wrote:A fair assumption would be that people from all sorts of backgrounds have issues with Trump for a multitude of reasons. In that case it would be equally fair to assume people from all sorts of backgrounds support Trump for a multitude of reasons.
bitter-iron-ny wrote:That is some seriously specious logic. Someone smarter than me can correct, but I believe that's called a contrapositive.
Both sides are to blame :wink:
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

szola wrote: Both sides are to blame :wink:
There's good people on both sides.....apparently.
delbert

Post by delbert »

The same logic can be applied to any number of differing opposing groups, examples being:

Brexit V Remain.
Apple V Android
Tory V Labour

Embrace your inner hippy........ :lol:
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

I went to my Iaido class for the first time in about four months this morning and spent a lot of time shooting the **** with some of the guys after. Of the eight of us, only myself and one other guy, a college professor are vaguely left- leaning. There's four cops who are dyed in the wool, repeal the Second Amendment over my dead body, registered Republicans and two others who wouldn't vote Democrat long as they've got holes in their arses.

All six of these guys voted for Trump and, at the moment, they're all still treating it like kids who have recently lit a big fire.

They're basically still at the "look at all the pretty flames stage" although a couple of them have started to realize that the next stage is, "Oh f***, this is going to burn my ****ing house down and I just voted for a tax cut that means the nearest fire department is forty miles away and I haven't paid my home insurance premium."

So far, nothing Trump has done has affected adversely his core vote in the short term and the tax reform won't bite these people on the ass for another few years yet. They also quite like having a President that says "f*** the UN .... and other foreigners, generally." I

t's pretty sad really but, unfortunately, as long as things aren't affecting people today, they don't really care that they're stacking up problems for the future. The great, global truths are that most people are pretty dumb and Darwin doesn't do a good enough job when it comes to getting rid of the dumbest.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

Turkeys voting for Christmas.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Temporary Senate deal 'to halt government shutdown'
The US government shutdown is set to end after Senate Republicans and Democrats reached a deal on a temporary funding bill.

Democrat Chuck Schumer said his party would "vote to re-open the government" as it would continue to negotiate with Republicans on immigration.

Democrats are working to pass legislation that would protect young immigrants from deportation.

Mr Schumer said the three-day shutdown was expected to end in a few hours.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Clucking Bell wrote:I went to my Iaido class for the first time in about four months this morning and spent a lot of time shooting the **** with some of the guys after. Of the eight of us, only myself and one other guy, a college professor are vaguely left- leaning. There's four cops who are dyed in the wool, repeal the Second Amendment over my dead body, registered Republicans and two others who wouldn't vote Democrat long as they've got holes in their arses.

All six of these guys voted for Trump and, at the moment, they're all still treating it like kids who have recently lit a big fire.

They're basically still at the "look at all the pretty flames stage" although a couple of them have started to realize that the next stage is, "Oh ****, this is going to burn my ****ing house down and I just voted for a tax cut that means the nearest fire department is forty miles away and I haven't paid my home insurance premium."

So far, nothing Trump has done has affected adversely his core vote in the short term and the tax reform won't bite these people on the ass for another few years yet. They also quite like having a President that says "**** the UN .... and other foreigners, generally." I

t's pretty sad really but, unfortunately, as long as things aren't affecting people today, they don't really care that they're stacking up problems for the future. The great, global truths are that most people are pretty dumb and Darwin doesn't do a good enough job when it comes to getting rid of the dumbest.
I have a couple friends who are retired NYPD and they love them some Trump. They're not stupid people, but more than a bit racist and willing to bask in an echo chamber of lies.. For them it's all about personalities and identity politics. It's very frustrating that facts just don't matter to them. Their only sources of info are Fox News and other right-slanted sources. Unless there is some sort of "gotcha" moment with actual witness testimony, they will go to their grave looking at Trump as some sort visionary leader.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Bombardier wins trade dispute in US
Bombardier has won a trade case in the United States, overturning a decision to impose damaging tariffs on imports of its C-Series aircraft.

The government had suspected Bombardier would lose and unions feared sales and UK jobs would be hit.

But in a surprise ruling, the US International Trade Commission (ITC) rejected a complaint brought by Boeing.

The ITC voted 4-0 in favour of Bombardier.

It means tariffs of 292% will not now be imposed on orders of C-Series planes by American carriers.

more...
Ouch!
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1981 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

It's looking Stormy. Should be fun.
delbert

Post by delbert »

On a lighter note. The White House has told the obnoxious Emily Thornberry to do one. :lol:

If the arrogant bag was capable of learning lessons (which I doubt) then the one to take away from this incident is that actions have consequences...........
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

It's getting really ugly.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Bitter, not sure how much this makes news over your side, but there would seem to be the beginnings over here, of a ( I can't think of a less appropriate term) 'charm offensive' as a general softening up before he finally lands in UK. As such that all round good egg Piers Morgan** was doing the TV studio circuit yesterday saying how your president was ' a fascinating character', who was 'much misunderstood'. I'm sure other political heavyweights such as Farage are being lined up as we speak.

** ' All round good egg'. Def: Oily little creep who was way out of his depth when 'Pop News' journo @the Daily Mirror.