Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2648 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by EvilC »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Interesting that Macron says that if France had a referendum they'd have probably voted to leave the EU as well. That's probably why France will never get a referendum.
The French had the choice to vote for a party with a Frexit pledge in the last election. They didn't get elected
delbert
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

A bit of interesting reading here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referendu ... pean_Union" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By interesting I mean in relation to this thread, in other context it's pretty boring......
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2697 likes

Post by sendô »

EvilC wrote: The French had the choice to vote for a party with a Frexit pledge in the last election. They didn't get elected
That doesn't necessarily mean the majority of them didn't want to leave, or stay even.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 334 likes
Total likes: 706 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

EvilC wrote:The French had the choice to vote for a party with a Frexit pledge in the last election. They didn't get elected
Nice try but I'd imagine the majority of the French didn't want to vote for a racist agenda. Doesn't mean they don't want to the leave the EU does it now?
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Five years of this EU appeasing wimp Macron will be the best camapign that their anti EU supporters could ever wish for.
As i said before, all of these near misses in France, Germany, Netherlands etc.. will ultimately spell bigger problems for the EU next time around. There’s not much more room for that carpet to be swept under.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Nice try but I'd imagine the majority of the French didn't want to vote for a racist agenda. Doesn't mean they don't want to the leave the EU does it now?
The last poll I could find evidence of suggested that was very strongly the case.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

delbert wrote:A bit of interesting reading here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referendu ... pean_Union" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By interesting I mean in relation to this thread, in other context it's pretty boring......
Interesting that Greece, that cradle of democracy did the following in 2015:

A referendum on the bailout conditions in the Greek government-debt crisis. A majority of the voters rejected the bailout conditions. However, shortly afterwards the government accepted a bailout with even harsher conditions than the ones rejected by the voters.
I wonder what sort of pressure the EU was putting on Greece to accept these terms. They’ve turned that country into a basket case.
EvilC wrote:The last poll I could find evidence of suggested that was very strongly the case.
So by your logic, that would mean that UKIP should have had a hell of a lot more votes than they've ever got, pre-referendum which simply isn't the case. I don't believe for one minute that everyone who voted for Macron was pro-EU.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:So by your logic, that would mean that UKIP should have had a hell of a lot more votes than they've ever got, pre-referendum which simply isn't the case. I don't believe for one minute that everyone who voted for Macron was pro-EU.
UKIP aren't a seriously electable option. Le Pen polled second in the first voting round. You aren't comparing apples with apples. The two electoral systems are different and yield different results, but the point remains.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

EvilC wrote:UKIP aren't a seriously electable option. Le Pen polled second in the first voting round. You aren't comparing apples with apples. The two electoral systems are different and yield different results, but the point remains.
Yes, but your point if true, would mean that you were sure nobody who voted for Macron was pro-leave. With what evidence can you back that up?
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Yes, but your point if true, would mean that you were sure nobody who voted for Macron was pro-leave. With what evidence can you back that up?
You are right here. Apologies.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

If this MEP has got it right then for all our government's big words they've been bent over ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 73076.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So our leaders might just be ready to walk on their own in three years.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

It seems from Friday’s papers, the Conservatives Party is on the brink of tearing itself over Soft Brexit vs Hard Brexit. But then they’ve been tearing themselves apart over Europe for 40+ years, c'est la vie.
sendô

Post by sendô »

It seems they're on the brink of triggering a leadership contest, rumour being about 40 Tory MPs have written to the chair of the 1922 committee asking for one.
delbert
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

DaveWHU1964 wrote:If this MEP has got it right then for all our government's big words they've been bent over ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 73076.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As much as I'm loathe to be critical of the news source instead of the actual news itself (something the right do with The Guardian and the left do with The Mail). I'm increasingly confused as to what it actually is The Independent is supposed to be independent from, when it comes to all things Brexit it seems like reason.......
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

sendô wrote:It seems they're on the brink of triggering a leadership contest, rumour being about 40 Tory MPs have written to the chair of the 1922 committee asking for one.

Because they're so full of potential leaders...
sendô

Post by sendô »

Who surely wouldn't be inspired by the though of Michael Gove as PM?
1011Iron

Post by 1011Iron »

off-topic. The Independent is part-owned by a Saudi investor and part-owned by the son of a former KGB agent. :wink:

God only knows what their agenda is with that combination...

As you were...
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 1070 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

DaveWHU1964 wrote:If this MEP has got it right then for all our government's big words they've been bent over ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 73076.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TBH I don't get all the fuss over this transition thing. Surely thats the sensible way to go about it. Negotiate a deal to get out, then have 2 years of out but not out yet to get adjusted.

I suppose the Rees-Mogg types will have a strop and Farage will spend 2 years warning people that this will be the end point once we all get used to it and its not what we voted for.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: TBH I don't get all the fuss over this transition thing. Surely thats the sensible way to go about it. Negotiate a deal to get out, then have 2 years of out but not out yet to get adjusted.

I suppose the Rees-Mogg types will have a strop and Farage will spend 2 years warning people that this will be the end point once we all get used to it and its not what we voted for.
Two years? The government's stated aim apparently is a transition period of "around two years". "Around" seems to be the key word here and somehow seems to mean "another year on top of the two years we've been kidding people it will be because we're scared to let go of the EU's apron strings" ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... YEARS.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even after that lengthy period of time (and who's to say "around two years" won't end up turning out to be longer than three years?) then will we will really be out? This former Tory minister believes that we may well remain in the EU "in all but name" ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 81961.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... and why wouldn't she believe that after our chancellor said the changes to our relationship with the EU post Brexit wold be "very modest". They're ripping themselves apart causing another cabinet minister to plead for unity ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42849833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... Good luck with that. Anyway, that plea looks likely to fall on death ears and there is increased talk of a vote of no confidence in May ...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... dence-vote" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On another thread people there is (mostly) post after depressing post about Corbyn's attempt to try to do something to alleviate rough sleeping. Yet this one lies dormant in amongst the turmoil and hubris of the biggest political decision of our lifetimes, one that has already brought down one prime minister and that will bring down at least one more. And that doesn't even take account of what will happen to the political party whose 'cleverness' and political shenanigans brought this mess upon our nation.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 1070 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

I am really confused now are you saying you want the hard cliff edge brexit in 2019 now?

As i said I don't see the issue with a gradual withdrawal providing thats where we end up. It seems eminently sensible.