Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by EvilC »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote:"instead opting to transfer production to North America, China or elsewhere in the EU"

So outside of the EU.. :?
There are no tariffs on aeronautical goods. However they may well have their access to personnel restricted due to the restrictions on FoM that Brexit is likely to impose. There is also our non-membership of EASA or an equivalent body, which would be a massive issue.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

This is why Airbus are making noises: http://www.airbus.com/content/dam/chann ... -FINAL.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

I think Prof. A.C. Graying is losing the plot. He said online today:
The EU needs to rule Hungary directly from Brussels, bypassing the Hungarian government. They should then do the same to the UK and stop this ridiculous Brexit.
professor of stupidity by the looks of think. He's a non-entity, yet the BBC insist on rolling him out to comment on Brexit as if he's some sort of expert or rational voice on the matter.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

EvilC wrote:
There are no tariffs on aeronautical goods. However they may well have their access to personnel restricted due to the restrictions on FoM that Brexit is likely to impose. There is also our non-membership of EASA or an equivalent body, which would be a massive issue.
Ok, thanks. makes a bit more sense.

But the big thing is "There are no tariffs on aeronautical goods." You forgot to say, Yet. :wink:
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:I think Prof. A.C. Graying is losing the plot. He said online today:

The EU needs to rule Hungary directly from Brussels, bypassing the Hungarian government. They should then do the same to the UK and stop this ridiculous Brexit.

professor of stupidity by the looks of think. He's a non-entity, yet the BBC insist on rolling him out to comment on Brexit as if he's some sort of expert or rational voice on the matter.
That'll bring us back on board wont it........
delbert
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

So a humourous article over this topic and a swipe at Brexiteers being rather thick leads to this gem of a comment from a sneering intelligentsia.

http://newsthump.com/2018/06/22/if-airb ... -brexiter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Broderick Ross
Simon forgot to say that the spitfires will be made by that British company of Airfix. Unawear that Airfix went bust on the 1970s and the kit moulds went to the contanant and are now produced by the French company Heller.
Like · Reply · 1 · 2h
What a complete throbber....... :lol:
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Boris Johnson's response to a question about the economic damage of Brexit:

‘f*** Business!!’

Not much more anybody needs to know about the whole stupid project.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

GCRO - please can you point me to the source of that Grayling quote?
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Indeed it's all hypothetical but I was referring to the conditions I suspect the EU would impose on the UK if it should ever apply to rejoin at some time in the future.
Again , I couldn't see the EU imposing any sort of penalties should we want to re-join sometime in the future , they may want to impose certain clauses or guarantees but I can't see them being bitter about it .

I guess you could compare it to re-marrying a woman you had divorced sometime in the past , you would need to establish trust , you may even want to include certain clauses such as ' I keep the stereo and the LPs should we part again ' but there would be no need for punishment otherwise you wouldn't bother getting together again .
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

Why on earth do we want to rejoin the EU? They are light years away in work competance and they hardly speak English
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

When I saw this and read some of the banners decrying the supposed unfairness of it all I could only think of Sheff Utd and their march for justice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44586638" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe Remain should sign up Sean Bean
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Bend it like Repka wrote:When I saw this and read some of the banners decrying the supposed unfairness of it all I could only think of Sheff Utd and their march for justice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44586638" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe Remain should sign up Sean Bean
:thup:

Anyone still banging on about another vote should just fuckrightoff.

You had you chance and you lost.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Junco Partner wrote:Boris Johnson's response to a question about the economic damage of Brexit:

‘**** Business!!’

Not much more anybody needs to know about the whole stupid project.
TBF, why should we listen to the pitiful whining of the shareholders and chief executives of multinational corporations as we are being implored to? They ain't in it for the workers or the local communities, are they?

I recall many "Remainers" - even before the notion of Remain existed - complaining vehemently that big business was running government.

These fair vote, fair wage, anti-capitalist, anti-globalisation, anti-'predator' preachers can barely raise their heads above the parapits now as the shallowness and duplicity of their principles has been laid bare as they fall in behind the undemocratic, free market (almost laissez faire) pro-capitalist EU elite and bank-rollers.
The Old Man of Storr

'Appy 'Ammer wrote:Why on earth do we want to rejoin the EU? They are light years away in work competance and they hardly speak English
:) - What's their written English like ?
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"

Post by Junco Partner »

bubbles1966 wrote: TBF, why should we listen to the pitiful whining of the shareholders and chief executives of multinational corporations as we are being implored to? They ain't in it for the workers or the local communities, are they?
Johnson, Fox and Davies are even less in it for workers and communities. When these Brexit nut-jobs talk about 'deregulating' - they are talking about getting rid of our rights such as sick pay, maternity rights, safety regulations etc. It's been their lifelong dream.

It's why I can never support their imagined Brexit.

Happily their vision is a busted flush. Some quasi single market/CU membership, paying something for it, living under ECJ jurisprudence and jurisdiction in goods, but diluting free movement of people is about as good as it's gonna get. But they're ideologues who are afraid to tell the truth to themselves and to us.
bubbles1966 wrote:I recall many "Remainers" - even before the notion of Remain existed - complaining vehemently that big business was running government.
Big business, specifically London big business keeps the Tory party afloat, so it does run governement. It's why these howls from CBI et al are so galling. It's their party they're screaming at, asking they get even a basic level of competency from the Tories.

2 years since the decision to leave and our government still can't tell us what type of Brexit we're going for, what it will mean and how much it will cost. Are we heading towards Norway (low sovereignty / high access) or Canada (high sovereignty / low access)?

Mrs May can't tell us. She hasn't a clue. Good information and coherent thinking has not find its way to the top. There are ideological gatekeepers who police their monopoly, loyal to scripture and will never let a fact get in the way of their Brexit mantras.

Meanwhile the most useful voices - public health officials, veterinary officials, customs officers, freight forwarders and technicians - were barely consulted or allowed anywhere near the process.

So no surprise Airbus prepares to leave, Pfizer warns UK life science dominance under threat (pharma and aerospace, our last 2 industries of note) and BMW are saying the same....

Still, blue passports eh 8-)
Junco Partner

Post by Junco Partner »

The most interesting snippet from this weeks Brexit bore-a-thon was Hammond sneaking in this little number:

He authorised the government in handing over up to £500 billion to the Bank of England to use to bail out banks if, as is likely, there is a financial crisis as a result of Brexit.

More than the £432 billion QE magicked out of thin air the last time the bankers crashed the economy.

The treasury is afraid....maybe we should be to.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Meanwhile in my little corner of the manufacturing world sales are reaching an all time high.....

Weve never had it so good.
The Old Man of Storr

Junco Partner wrote:The most interesting snippet from this weeks Brexit bore-a-thon was Hammond sneaking in this little number:

He authorised the government in handing over up to £500 billion to the Bank of England to use to bail out banks if, as is likely, there is a financial crisis as a result of Brexit.

More than the £432 billion QE magicked out of thin air the last time the bankers crashed the economy.

The treasury is afraid....maybe we should be to.
Why don't they ever share this type of money amongst the people of Britain instead of getting us to spend our own money to kick start the economy [ by relaxing pension rules etc ? ] . I could do with a few quid .
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1791 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

To put the Airbus warning another way, they have effectively told the EU that if the UK gets a bad deal from the EU, they'll move fourteen thousand jobs to the EU.

No incentive there then.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1026 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

The money isn't to bail out banks its to keep they propping up the ponzi scheme that passes for the economy. The treasury will stick in 1.2bn to underwrite a scheme that allows the boe to give out up to 500bn without asking the treasury first. The 500bn was available before this deal they just altered the procedure and cut a deal to take another underwritten scheme off the treasury books and onto the banks.

The con in all this is that in 2007 the cry from all parties was for the banks to be stricter in who they lent money to. The problem comes when your economy is a debt bubble one, reliant on lending to keep it turning. So fairly quickly and pretty quietly the priority shifted from prudent lending to we will give you cheap financing if you start lending to all and sundry again.