Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by EvilC »

delbert wrote:So, the Canadian / EU deal (CETA) that has taken 9 years to come to fruition is now under threat because the Italians have copped the hump.

https://europeansting.com/2018/07/17/ce ... ion-fears/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ignore the fact that it took 9 years to get this far ( :fsake: ).

What may become interesting is that it could take only one EU member to scupper the whole thing, (although I assume a load of wriggling around will go on to ensure it doesn't).

What may become even more interesting is if one country can do this to CETA then I assume there's nothing to stop it happening to any Brexit deal?
Yes, any Brexit deal will be subject to ratification by the 27 members.
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

Oh well, no deal it is then........
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

delbert wrote:Oh well, no deal it is then........
Yeah, there's no way they'll get that turd through parliament.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

delbert wrote:So, the Canadian / EU deal (CETA) that has taken 9 years to come to fruition is now under threat because the Italians have copped the hump.

https://europeansting.com/2018/07/17/ce ... ion-fears/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ignore the fact that it took 9 years to get this far ( :fsake: ).

What may become interesting is that it could take only one EU member to scupper the whole thing, (although I assume a load of wriggling around will go on to ensure it doesn't).

What may become even more interesting is if one country can do this to CETA then I assume there's nothing to stop it happening to any Brexit deal?
The Romanians scuppered it before because they didn't like the way the Canadians treated Romanian visa requests. It's a serious flaw in trade negotiations when a country with a tinpot economy can scupper potential trade deals with country's who's economy dwarfs their own for the most bizarre reasons.
delbert

Post by delbert »

Yeah, there's no way they'll get that turd through parliament.
Probably not, and that is obstacle number one. Number two is the EU monolith with number three being the individual member states.
On the off chance it does make it through to number three then all it would take to scupper the deal is for Farage to claim he fingered the King of Spains mum up Gibraltar.........
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Well, what does one expect when Grayling is in charge?

Chris Grayling has no credible plan for 'no-deal' Brexit, road hauliers warn (Telegraph, 15/8/18)
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

York Ham(mer) wrote:Well, what does one expect when Grayling is in charge?

Chris Grayling has no credible plan for 'no-deal' Brexit, road hauliers warn (Telegraph, 15/8/18)
As I've said all along, Brexit has exposed these charlatans for the incompetent idiots that they are. Time to get rid of the lot of 'em and start again.
delbert

Post by delbert »

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10039 ... Commission" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If we are bugging them it's about the only thing with these negotiations we've got right. :lol: Although I suspect we're not and any leaks are coming from other member states not happy with the way things are going.......
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Beginning of the end for Theresa May?

Theresa May told to come clean about her post-Brexit immigration plans (The Sun, 16/8/18)
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1092 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

York Ham(mer) wrote:Beginning of the end for Theresa May?
That was a minute past 10 on election night
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Rebuilding all those bridges all over Europe is going to cost a few quid. Not sure if it’s a good thing that we won’t have to pay towards them however could be some good business for construction companies.
666 hammer
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by 666 hammer »

From what I heard on the radio from a Italian news reporter the construction industry in Italy is very corrupt with criminal links still. A bullet dodged I think.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1981 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Forgive me for going slightly off piste, but it might be interesting.....

I'm thinking of getting some steel furniture made, hopefully a couple of million quids worth per year. I would dearly love to get it made here, but the numbers don't stack up.

It's almost unavoidable that we'll have to get it made overseas. In order to avoid getting shafted by future tariffs, where would you suggest I look?
SammyLeeWasOffside

If its just tariffs then the UK is probably the only certainty. If its overall cost I would imagine china as its cheaper already and the EU tariffs would come off when we leave.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1981 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote:If its just tariffs then the UK is probably the only certainty. If its overall cost I would imagine china as its cheaper already and the EU tariffs would come off when we leave.
Unfortunately, it's not just tariffs. The overall cost of manufacture in the UK is preclusive, unless the market readjusts to accept higher pricing for local goods. Can't really see that happening soon.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Monkeybubbles wrote: Unfortunately, it's not just tariffs. The overall cost of manufacture in the UK is preclusive, unless the market readjusts to accept higher pricing for local goods. Can't really see that happening soon.
It was just you asked about tariffs specifically and the only place guaranteed to never have tariffs would be the uk. I would guess china would be the cheapest if its just overall cost.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Monkeybubbles wrote:Forgive me for going slightly off piste, but it might be interesting.....

I'm thinking of getting some steel furniture made, hopefully a couple of million quids worth per year. I would dearly love to get it made here, but the numbers don't stack up.

It's almost unavoidable that we'll have to get it made overseas. In order to avoid getting shafted by future tariffs, where would you suggest I look?
Depends hugely on the approach the government takes to tariffs and the internal tax regime.

It could decide that imported steel (wherever it comes from) is 0% - many non producer nations in the EU actually want this. It could also decide to use tariff income raised on EU imports to cut other taxes and business rates etc also, thereby altering the price domestically and indirectly aiding UK producers.

The government has a free hand. Sadly, we have a pair of bedwetters at 10 and 11.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

He’s back! Expect more entertainment.

The time has come to teach the political class a lesson: I'm back fighting for a real Brexit (Nigel Farage, Telegraph, 17/8/18)
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Slightly worrying....

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »