Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:
Frigging hell TOMOS you are fickle!!
It's a bit like being an Agnostic - always hedge your bets .
The Old Man of Storr

All this has achieved is make everyone in Britain angry -

The Leavers are naturally angry , if I had voted Leave I'd be seething -

The people of London , Scotland and Northern Ireland are all angry because we are being dragged out of Europe against our will because of a referendum that wasn't even lawfully binding .

All this anger can't be good for us .
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:All this has achieved is make everyone in Britain angry -

The Leavers are naturally angry , if I had voted Leave I'd be seething -

The people of London , Scotland and Northern Ireland are all angry because we are being dragged out of Europe against our will because of a referendum that wasn't even lawfully binding .

All this anger can't be good for us .
Cameron was a quite good at all things not lawfully binding, including getting shot of Col Gaddafi, which then unleashed the full fury of Isis. Some countries have no taste for western style democracies, they have no concept of what it is, and are probably better under a dictatorship. Sometimes, I wonder if people need to be told what's good for them
delbert
Has liked: 700 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

The petition only commits the slags to debate the issue in the house, which is basically all they've been doing for the last year or so anyway..........
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
More like that's the reality and where you'll end up for joining a union that requires you to surrender most of your sovereignty.
We haven’t surrendered “most of our sovereignty”, get a grip of yourself.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Rays Rock wrote:
Were they Russian ?
:D
The Old Man of Storr

delbert wrote:The petition only commits the slags to debate the issue in the house, which is basically all they've been doing for the last year or so anyway..........
You are Detective Inspector Jack Regan and I claim my free VHS copy of ' Sweeney ! [ 1977 ] .
delbert

Post by delbert »

Luckily, I've had me breakfast...... :lol:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

So they're going to vote on the same deal a third time?

That's democracy in action right there, leavers.

What was her defeat last time? 149 votes or thereabouts? Even with every single Tory behind her (which wont happen), the DUP aren't going to vote in favour, and neither is anyone else except maybe a handful of Labour rebels.

delbert wrote: Their political beliefs became irrelevant the second they lost the once in a lifetime vote though
The views of 16.4m people became irrelevant?

Wow.

What a great place Brexit Britain is going to be if that is the rationale.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

The petition is up to three million now.

So using staunch remainer logic, that's sixty million who haven't supported it.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

More like that's the reality and where you'll end up for joining a union that requires you to surrender most of your sovereignty.
Rays Rock wrote: And if she has any sense of the indignity of it, hopefully she won't want or have to do it much more in future once we've left.
Why the anger? This is exactly what you all signed up for. The EU working together and the UK sitting on the outside.

Go pet your unicorns. Might cheer you up.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

The only real surprise over her grovelling to the EU yesterday was that it took place is Brussels and not a railway carriage in Compiègne.
delbert

Post by delbert »

The views of 16.4m people became irrelevant?

Wow.

What a great place Brexit Britain is going to be if that is the rationale.
Their beliefs became irrelevant because the votes were cast and the referendum is over, leave voters beliefs became irrelevant at the same time.
You believe that something is going to happen, once that something happens your beliefs either come to fruition or they don't, hence after the event they become irrelevant.
That doesn't mean people don't or can't believe we should remain, it means that without another referendum their beliefs are irrelevant........
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Haven’t seen it mentioned on here but last month UK made its biggest ever monthly payment to Europe - £2.9 billion. Seems a awful lot of money.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Monkeybubbles wrote:"Parliamentary sovereignty!"

"When do we want it?"

"Erm, not just now actually....."
Hardly the people's fault that this shower couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.
Danny's Dyer Acting wrote:Why the anger? This is exactly what you all signed up for. The EU working together and the UK sitting on the outside.

Go pet your unicorns. Might cheer you up.
It's clearly not what we signed up for otherwise we'd be leaving on the 29th as planned. Please see my above reply.
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Call me old fashioned but I'd much rather vote for a credible party than just spoil my ballot paper. I think if Brexit was cancelled it would open the door for a UKIP-esque party as the big three have all shot their bolts with leave voters.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47668067" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You were right that the current situation has opened the door for UKIP - esque party. Guess they are anticipating that the deal won't get voted through next week and we will ask for a longer extension thereby the UK will have to field MEP's in the Euro elections.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

It's clearly not what we signed up for otherwise we'd be leaving on the 29th as planned. Please see my above reply.
I have seen a lot of people angry that we are not leaving on 29th as if that is what was voted for. It is not what was voted for, it was the date decided upon by Theresa May and her government when they triggered article 50. That this was done without any real plan or parliamentary consensus on the way forward is typical of the whole way the government has behaved throughout the whole process.

What should have happened was a proper plan to leave, one that would have been acceptable to the majority, should have been decided upon and enough time to implement it without damaging the economy should have been allowed.

I don't get this rush to crash out at any costs that many seem to be calling for.
Something as important as this should be done properly and should be allowed as much time as in necessary.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:It's clearly not what we signed up for otherwise we'd be leaving on the 29th as planned. Please see my above reply.
I meant giving up our seat at the table.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

delbert wrote: Their beliefs became irrelevant because the votes were cast and the referendum is over, leave voters beliefs became irrelevant at the same time.
You believe that something is going to happen, once that something happens your beliefs either come to fruition or they don't, hence after the event they become irrelevant.
That doesn't mean people don't or can't believe we should remain, it means that without another referendum their beliefs are irrelevant........
Does that work for General Elections as well? The views of everyone who didn't vote Conservative or DUP becomes irrelevant? Or everyone who didn't specifically vote for a Conservative/DUP confidence and supply arrangement? I think that was probably all of us, wasn't it?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

It feels like too many people are too eager to rush and crash out rather than take our time and do it properly and give ourselves the best chance of making a success of it.

It seems like more about the ideal than what is best for the country.