Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1092 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote:See bubbles is back to his "votes don't matter depending on where you're from" shtick.

I say that's fair but we also remove votes from anyone over 50 or without a university degree. This grey haired and uneducated -centric movement to remove us from the EU has to be stopped.
This implies some broad span correlation between lack of education opportunity and stupidity which I would say is false. It implies every student is magically endowed with wisdom by merely taking a course and that those that chose to leave school and work are automatically less aware of the world around them.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

No it doesn’t. It suggests that we can pick and choose who we want to include votes and opinions from.

bubbles seems to have a significant issue with people from diverse areas of London having their say (interesting which boroughs he chooses there, no comment on that). I equally think old people and non graduates should be excluded.

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1092 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

What he is saying is the petitions popularity varies massively. Its not nationwide 6-7% of constituents it is peaking in a few hot spots. People voting for the status quo that are suited by the status quo. He isn't saying their votes shouldn't count just pointing to a reason why they may be for remaining as we are.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2502 likes
Total likes: 4408 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: bubbles seems to have a significant issue with people from diverse areas of London having their say (interesting which boroughs he chooses there, no comment on that). I equally think old people and non graduates should be excluded.
Dearie me, DDA :)

Fixating on race blocks out the fact that it's the money primarily backing remain.It's wealth and the well-off primarily driving this; people who've done alright and won the biggest.

Just for once though those that have it, those who have done very well out of the post 1992 settlement and kept winning, have lost. And they don't like it, hence something resembling a three year long, largely well-off, middle class push to try and change the result.

That's why 40,000+ (predominantly white, possibly european) people in rich Hampstead and Richmond are in such a fume, while so few people in less affluent places (whether largely ethnic minority East Ham or Edmonton, or white working class areas like Romford) are anything but.

That's what the uneven distribution of signatures lays bare.

It isn't that they don't matter - it's that it is highly significant in indicating motivation and shows how much wealthy parts of London (plus certain uni towns) are trying to dictate this. People from these places have a huge grip on politics, money and the broadcast media. And they still want it their way.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2021 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

IronworksDave wrote:

Remain clearly can't accept a Leave vote, and 100% guaranteed Leave will not accept a Remain vote ...

So what does anyone think a second referendum will resolve? ... whichever side gets 35% of the vote the other side won't accept it ... am I wrong?
100% right.

Trouble is, the Twitter/Facebook generation won't accept anything that don't go their way.
delbert
Has liked: 725 likes
Total likes: 703 likes

Post by delbert »

IronworksDave wrote:
Remain clearly can't accept a Leave vote, and 100% guaranteed Leave will not accept a Remain vote ...
When and why did that become a thing? Sure people used to get pissed off when they lost out on a vote but they still accepted it, why are people currently incapable of handling defeat and subsequently try to change the result their way?
Could it be the type of person involved being too used to getting their own way so disappointment is an alien concept for them?
Whilst I've no doubt the likes of Farage and Tim Martin would have taken defeat at the referendum the same way as some of the more vocal reluctant leavers, I can't see us down trodden plebs getting overly excited about not getting our way, we're used to it..........
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Whitters wrote: Well, to quote chief brexiteer David Davis.
Do you think that by quoting David Davis that proves your point ?
I really don’t care what a politicians opinion is, that’s the basis of the problem.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 564 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Revoke A50 petition tops 4 million

Leave with No Deal petition tops 400,000

Clear to see what way this is swinging.
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

Yes the majority of people on the march today were 'middle class' but I believe that virtually all were there not for selfish reasons but because we passionately believe that the people should be given another opportunity to vote on the EU, with the vote based on facts and not the lies which marred and may well have swayed the last referendum. And because we believe that the best option for our country is to remain in the EU.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1233 likes

Post by Tenbury »

bubbles1966 wrote:

. People from these places have a huge grip on politics, money and the broadcast media. And they still want it their way.
Yep, thank God for true working-class heroes like Rees-Mogg and Johnson.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Tenbury wrote:Yep, thank God for true working-class heroes like Rees-Mogg and Johnson.
Someone else did that the other night, Tenners - Blair, Cameron, Osborne, Clegg, Johnson (minor), .....etc etc

It's about the electorate though, isn't it?
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote:No MV3 if they don't have the numbers. they don't have the numbers, May gone by end of the week?
Could be by the end of the weekend.

The Sun and Telegraph both want her out and they are probably a reasonable yardstick of the range of Tory opinions.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Sunday papers are piling in on “Cabinet coup” and “May must go”.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 564 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

David Littington :lol:

If he's the answer what the hell is the question.

However, there is absolutely no problem currently being experienced by our country to which Boris Johnson is the solution.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

billybondsballbag wrote: We have elections to decide these things not mob rule
Hilarious
Why is that so funny?

Mao came to power in China by using a minority of the 'people' to overthrown the communist government, Hitler came to power by using the minority of the people terrorise his way to power.

Of course these are extreme examples and in no way comparable with a million activists running around London, but the principle is the same. Whilst protesting is a right and indeed to be encouraged, it is not the tiny vocal minority that decide any national issue. We do that through the ballot box.

If you look at the crowd yesterday it's about as diverse and inclusive as your average KKK rally ... important sure, relevant sure, but representative of the UK? At less than 2% who knows

Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

dodger wrote:Why are you (and most leavers) so against a new vote which has remain on the possible options? If you’re so certain that the country wishes to leave the EU, what are you afraid of?
1) We all voted with the knowledge that it was a 'once in a lifetime opportunity'. Votes were cast under that premise. To just wipe the result out, is not democratic.
2) If we vote again & Leave wins, what was the point of another vote? How would that help the current stalemate? It wouldn't. Would Remainers then say, 'well, that's twice so we'll accept it now'? I doubt it.
If we vote again & Remain wins, especially by a similar margin as Leave did, we will never hear the end of Leavers saying, 'well, that's one all, we'd better vote again, or we'll protest in our millions'.
3) After the 1975 vote, Leavers had to respect that result for 41 years. Isn't it fair that Leavers have now had a say & Remainers respect the vote?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2410 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Rays Rock wrote:
Quite simply because we don’t want our vote eroded. And I genuinely believe that democracy will be betrayed by staging another vote that has any of the same options on it so soon.
Put quite simply, democracy means the majority wins. If we don’t abide that rule, then what do we have ?

Why do you want remain to be put on thr ballot paper when it was rejected last time ?
As I mentioned the other day is seems that for some the overarching outcome, at all costs, has to be to protect some vague notion of democracy represented by the referendum. I think, for some, sticking to the referendum outcome is the more important than the actual future of the country . Who cares what happens next, we must follow the referendum. It wouldn't surprise me that if someone proves half the country would be wiped out if we left the EU some would still say 'the will of the people' and 'upholding the referendum of three years ago' would be paramount.

Also interesting to see the people with clearly lots of cash, who will likely be unaffected either way by Brexit, defending the rights of the 'common man' as some kind of badge of honour against those pesky middle classes
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1497 likes

Post by smuts »

Cabinet to confront May on Monday asking her to resign.

Gove and Hunt being touted to step in as emergency PM. Awe inspiring eh?
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

IronworksDave wrote: Why is that so funny?

Mao came to power in China by using a minority of the 'people' to overthrown the communist government, Hitler came to power by using the minority of the people terrorise his way to power.
The rise of fascism in Germany post WW1 was a bit more complicated than that, and FWIW Mao was a Marxist-Leninist who won a 4 year civil war in order ,to come to power.
Quite what all that has to do with Brexit escapes me.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Many people, though sadly not enough from within their own party, warned Cameron and Osbourne of the perils of governance by referenda. I've not studied the Swiss system in any detail, but it seems they spend a lot of time and effort getting the phrasing of the question right. The two aforementioned cowardly halfwits were so sure they were going to win it that they played no attention. ( then ran away when it went wrong).

Nevermind, I'm sure that Hunt and/or the pimply jerk will make everything right in no time.