Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by Rays Rock »

smuts wrote: Gone proper Barber Shop Raga.
Sounds better in Dobly !
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Letwin amendment passed by 27.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

York Ham(mer) wrote:Brexit debate in the Commons begins. Three amendments selected:

Labour amendment - calls on the government to provide parliamentary time this week for indicative votes.

Letwin/Grieve/Benn amendment - takes power to control business in the Commons away from the government on Wednesday to allow MPs to put forward business motions relating to Brexit.

Beckett amendment - provides for a vote on whether to leave with no deal or request an extension for Parliament to agree on a different approach, if U.K. is seven days away from leaving without a deal.

Voting after 10pm.
Labour decides not to move its amendment.

MPs go straight on to the Letwin amendment. Ayes 329 Noes 302 Majority 27. The amendment is passed. The way is paved for MPs to sort out a indicative vote.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

An alliance of ultra wet Surrey Tory drips with the left wing/Scottish nationalists?

Not going to end well, is it? An alliance that won't last very long.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

The suggestion is that the indicative votes won’t indicate anything.
I’d be shocked now if the Weasels didn’t clan together to revoke article 50 or completely Weasel out and pass the buck back to the public somehow !
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Beckett amendment to require a vote on delaying a no deal exit defeated by 3.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

The Beckett amendment, which calls for a vote between no deal or Art. 50 extension if the U.K. is seven days from a no deal Brexit. Ayes 311 Noes 314 Majority against 3. Not passed.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Rays Rock wrote:The suggestion is that the indicative votes won’t indicate anything.
I’d be shocked now if the Weasels didn’t clan together to revoke article 50 or completely Weasel out and pass the buck back to the public somehow !
Doubt they'll have the balls to revoke it but they will pass the buck to the public though as we have a collection of invertebrate's as MP's these days

If it goes to a 2nd Ref I can see something like 3 options, Remain, No Deal, Mays Deal, however both No Deal and May's Deal must be combined in terms of the overall result so the leave vote isn't split. Make it binding so the result has to be implemented in a set time frame without political interference.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Three ministers resign.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

MPs voting on the main motion, as amended, essentially a rerun of the vote on the Letwin amendment

The main motion is passed by 327 votes to 300, a majority of 27.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 811 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

For months I have heard Remainers say there are preparations for rioting on the streets and troops being used, as part of the projected bleak outlook that Brexit will bring.

If A50 is cancelled by MPs I'll now make the same prediction.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

Bend it like Repka wrote:For months I have heard Remainers say there are preparations for rioting on the streets and troops being used, as part of the projected bleak outlook that Brexit will bring.

I would imagine Weaselminster will be heavily protected very soon, all at our own expense.
delbert
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Bend it like Repka wrote:For months I have heard Remainers say there are preparations for rioting on the streets and troops being used, as part of the projected bleak outlook that Brexit will bring.

Unless there's a hard core element keeping below the radar all the pictures of reluctant leavers demonstrating look as threatening as Charlton supporters, as you say, it will be leave voters kicking off if we don't exit the EU......
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 811 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

With perfect timing as we reach a 1000 pages on KUMB those who planned all along never to "respect the vote" end up getting their way.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 801 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

My feeling on this is if we don't leave there will be trouble but that will peeter out.

However there will be a general election and despite the best efforts of the mainstream political parties it will be yet another one issue election. I see a rise in voter defection to UKIP and other fringe parties.

Our worst nightmare will be realised when Westminster is full of right wing crackpots.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 308 likes
Total likes: 1079 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

RichieRiv wrote:My feeling on this is if we don't leave there will be trouble but that will peeter out.

However there will be a general election and despite the best efforts of the mainstream political parties it will be yet another one issue election. I see a rise in voter defection to UKIP and other fringe parties.

Our worst nightmare will be realised when Westminster is full of right wing crackpots.
And left wing ones lol

It depends when the election comes. If its soon there wont be time for newer parties to get sufficiently organised. If there is time them the brexit party is likely to make a huge impact. That will mean a parliament comprised of a lot of unknown, unprepared mps.

Like you I cant see much in the way of trouble, a few right wing loons maybe but most of the demographic tagged as leavers dont go big on rioting. It will be further disillusionment that comes out of it.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

The bigger issue if it is don't kick could be a nightmares, brexiteers, remain, antifa, everyone inbetween and the hoodlums seizing the opportunity to go rob JD sports
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 494 likes
Total likes: 1971 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

I can't see many Labour voters shifting to UKIP as a protest. Probably they won't even vote Libdem after the coalition. Maybe Green.

Safe Labour seats will remain safe. Marginals will swing to Labour as the opposition votes split. Some Conservative seats might go UKIP.

All Corbyn has to do is hold some kind of party together and he can ride his Brompton backwards into Downing St.

Heaven help us all.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 494 likes
Total likes: 1971 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

fmgod wrote:The bigger issue if it is don't kick could be a nightmares, brexiteers, remain, antifa, everyone inbetween and the hoodlums seizing the opportunity to go rob JD sports
Those were the old days. Like I said a couple of days ago, there'll be a couple of punches thrown and a metric buttload of a chippy tweets but everyone will soon fall back into line and the heehaws will still be in control.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

I just don’t see a general election helping. Clearly we will have a hung parliament again and still nothing will get agreed by the MPs. Apologies for repeating myself in this thread but the only way for me to resolve this is to put the deal (or no deal) to the people to decide if that’s the way to proceed.

If there was to be an election Labour would do well to replace Corbyn as they’d have a chance of winning without him, I don’t see it happening whilst he’s leading the party. The Conservatives should lose after the terrible mismanagement of the country the past few years but I don’t think there are any credible alternatives.