Leeds Utd 1 West Ham Utd 1 (17/03/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: Leeds United v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Puff Daddy »

It is uncanny the number of times a team wins away one week, but then loses its next match at home. This is why I predict a Hammers win
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Having watched them closely today I think they are far, far more energetic in midfield than we are and I see it as vital that we play Collins and Faye at centre half and push Tomkins into a defensive-midfield role. This might offer us some protection, energy and pace compared withour other midfield options and give us he best chance of stopping Leeds getting control in the middle of the park. Leeds have some nasty bastards in their side (Robinson and Brown) but some others who look like they can really play a bit like Aiden White.

They aren't great at the back though and I hope that we manage to get some of our quicker (Faubert, Vaz Te, Maynard) players involved and stretch what is an aged and creaking back 4.

Everytime I see Leeds I find them to be one of the better sides in the division, particularly going forward where McCormack and Snodgrass are always a danger. This ain't gonna be easy.
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

Leeds have impressed me everytime i have seen them and i'm very surprised they are as far down the league as they are, even though our away form is great this lot have everything in their locker that we struggle with, high energy, tempo, constantly pressing the opposition and play some very good football, we are going to have our work cut out in this and i fear a mullering if i'm being honest and i fear for us results wise for the rest of this month, hope to f*** i'm wrong!
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

Leeds have Michael Brown in midfield, a right dirty ****er.. maybe it could be an idea to put Faye in at defensive midfield? Then we will see if Brown wants to be dirty.
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

After seeing leeds today and us yesterday i think we may lose.Obviously hope i am wrong though.Warnock seems to have fired them up and organised them very quickly.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Denbighammer wrote:Everytime I see Leeds I find them to be one of the better sides in the division, particularly going forward where McCormack and Snodgrass are always a danger. This ain't gonna be easy.
I think you have to see them in consecutive games.

Their one true failing this season has been their inconsistency.
John. Norway

Post by John. Norway »

Quite a few die hard Leeds fans around me here in Norway.

They say that their performance at the Boleyn this season is the best they have played, AND they expect this will be the new best-of-season performance as we are the team they WILL win against.

Will be on TV here in Norway.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Leeds is a **** hole, but whatever happens, I don't wanna go home!!
We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

Knighter10WHU wrote:Leeds is a **** hole, but whatever happens, I don't wanna go home!!
:|

Very strange reply. Ain't where you live up to much?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

------------------------------------Green

JOB/Faubert.............Faye......................Collins.............Linda

----------------------------------Tomkins

O'Neil.......................Noble......................Nolan.......Vaz Te/Taylor

------------------------------------Cole

Lansbury
Baldy
Collison
Morrison
Maynard
Tophammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Tophammer »

Leeds united's cup final :lol:
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

With Reading and Soton playing mid-week, the screw could be very much turned on us to win at Leeds. Very tough game, but I think we can win this. Allardyce has got to go for it in the way we are set up; respecting the point when the teams around you are winning doesn't count for much at this stage of the season; it makes it harder that we've been 'respecting' the point in our last 4 at home. Draws now are nearly as bad as a defeat when we're relying on teams around us to slip up.

Our record at Leeds speaks for itself, but going out on a limb on this; we're going to break the mould and win 1-3 :crest:
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

----------------------Green--------------------------
--------------Reid-------------Faye---------------
---------------------Tomkins----------------------
Faubert----------------------------------Taylor
--------------Lansbury----------Noble----------
---------------------Nolan---------------------------
---------Baldock----------Maynard------------

Bench:
Morrison
Cole
Collins
Collison
Linda

Hopefully Reid will be fit - if not we still have centre back options. Lansbury needs to be picked ahead of Collison on form. This system will give us width through the full backs, defensive protection through Tomkins, and two forwards to occupy the Leeds' defenders. It also gives us the means to go to a back four with Tomkins just in front, should we go 2-0 up.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an away win, but I just have a feeling we'll only be able to get a point from this. Leaving us third and potentially 5 points behind Reading before we have to play them at the end of March. The game in hand now becomes crucial.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I'm expecting a significant defeat.

I felt they outplayed us earlier in the year and had better energy in midfield especially.

IIRC Cole, Faubert and Parker dragged us round that day and we got away with it. Exploiting set plays may be our best hope.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

*gulp* not sure I want an answer to this question! Has the KO time beeen changed- as the front page of KUMB has a 1.15 KO!?

o/s is still saying 3 pm

I ****ing HOPE ITS NOT MOVED

fixed train ticket times and all that...

cheers
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

I went to the home match and Bubbs is right, they looked much more lively in midfield than we did.....I'm not confident to be honest. :?
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

w4hammer wrote:*gulp* not sure I want an answer to this question! Has the KO time beeen changed- as the front page of KUMB has a 1.15 KO!?
Must be a mistake on KUMB. Surely it would be public knowledge if the game is this weekend?!
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

Gerblatz wrote:With Reading and Soton playing mid-week
Good post Gerb, but Southampton aren't playing midweek.

Reading are away to Donny and i fancy a Doncaster win there. Ending Readings unbeaten run, sending them on a downward spiral, culminating in heavy defeat from us at the Boleyn.

We'll then go into April in a two horse race with Southampton for the title.

As for the Leeds game, I wont lie, they scare the sh*t out of me. Having picked up some form and a team full of fast attacking players, it's going to be a tough afternoon. Ever the optimist though, the win is there for the taking just as it was against Blackpool, Cardiff, Boro, Hull & Brighton.

COYI
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

I would be surprised to see Vaz Te with a supposed Hammy, even if it ended up as a twinge on Sat, he will not be back for this one.

Not sure what is wrong with JOB (short term/long term), I would put Faubert in his place (at least he can supposedly play RB)

Reid I feel has screwed his shoulder again in that NZ-Jamaca friendly, hence the quick and quiet loan signing of Collins.

Diop - still out with a Hammy? Edit - I see Diop is back in training according to DG on twitter- guessing Leeds will be too soon for his return

Demel, still out, I thought he was due to be training, but he tweeted on the 7th March that his injury keeps returning.

........................Green...............

Faubert/JOB...Tomkins....Faye.....Linda

.........................Noble
...Morrison................. Nolan........Taylor

...............Cole........Baldock

Subs, Henderson, O'Neil, Collins, Collison, Maynard/Lansbury

Im not saying Noble is playing a DM role here, just a little deeper, to give Nolan some room to move forward, then Nobes can fill his slot when we press forward and as cover when we are defending (more of a midfield diamond if I had to put a name on it)

Tough solid performance, away win to the Irons
Last edited by Absentee Hammer on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cambs Iron
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Cambs Iron »

McCormack to score.

No final score guess but a Leeds win i can predict.