West Ham Utd 2 Hull City 1 (28/04/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2428 likes
Total likes: 4257 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Hull City: match thread

Post by bubbles1966 »

If that gets posted on Saintsweb they'd see a reason to fear Saturday.....

One of Hull and Coventry has been in reasonable away form lately. They ain't playing us.
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

bubbles1966 wrote:Hull have the best defensive record away from home in the league - just 20 conceded in 22 games. Though they have yet to concede three in a game, they have conceded twice in three of their last five (at Millwall, Pompey and Leicester), We beat them 2-0 without playing anywhere near as well or coherently as we are playing presently.

Last 5 aways = W 0 D 2 L 3

Coventry have been beaten 1-2 and 2-4 by Southampton already this year - but have been level at 75 minutes in both games.
Whilst they have been totally useless away from home for most of the season recent form includes a win at Hull and draw with Cardiff.

Last 5 aways = W 1 D 3 L 1.
Could it be that Hull have the best defensive away record in the league only because they haven't played us yet ?
I see another 6:0 drubbing coming... :lol:
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

HamburgHammer wrote: Could it be that Hull have the best defensive away record in the league only because they haven't played us yet ?
I see another 6:0 drubbing coming... :lol:
On recent form - ours and theirs away - I feel strangely confident of us bagging a minimum of 3.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2409 likes
Total likes: 2620 likes

Post by sendô »

Well they've got more to fear than we have. Our recent form has been much much better than theirs, both in results and performances. If we fail to get into the top two we'll take our momentum into the playoffs. If they fail to finish in the top two the disappointment will be like a dead weight around their necks.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

It helps a lot that we know if the saints get automatic promotion; we have the play-offs to look forward to... :) I've not given up that hope that something out of the ordinary could see us up automatically on Saturday. When the chance comes about, we don't do ordinary and this is one of those moments.

I hope the atmosphere is going be a very loud and proud one and if we don't succeed, then it can be a rehearsal for what will come. Looking forward to this one a lot...it's got it's edge and something to play for. To get 3 against Hull will be a big ask, but the 6 against Brighton says it can be done. 4-0 Irons.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Really looking forward to this, in the BML near the back so should be a really great atmosphere.

Really hope results go our way, West Ham 6 Hull 0, Southampton 1-Coventry 2 COYI
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

sendô wrote:Well they've got more to fear than we have. Our recent form has been much much better than theirs, both in results and performances. If we fail to get into the top two we'll take our momentum into the playoffs. If they fail to finish in the top two the disappointment will be like a dead weight around their necks.
Agree completely.

It feels as though we have nothing to lose.
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

Such stats about what HAS happened... mean absolutely nothing

We see that time and time again ( which in turn... is no indication :wink: )

It all comes down to two lots of 90 minutes
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Hull City only bringing 2 blocks to this. :thdn: Ah well, less pressure on us I suppose!
AChicagoHammer

Post by AChicagoHammer »

Say we end up level with Soton on points and goal diff, who would hold the next tiebreaker?
freddies shears

Post by freddies shears »

scum would as they taken most points off us.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

AChicagoHammer wrote:Say we end up level with Soton on points and goal diff, who would hold the next tiebreaker?
The team that has scored the most goals, then if that's level it goes down to head to head, and S'ton beat us & we drew one so S'ton go up.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Hayden wrote:Such stats about what HAS happened... mean absolutely nothing
....cliche.....
Hayden wrote:It all comes down to two lots of 90 minutes
...... those 90 minutes are influenced by what has gone before.....preparation, expectation, pressure, planning, momentum.....
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2409 likes
Total likes: 2620 likes

Post by sendô »

Head to heads. A stupid way to decide. We should play a winner takes all game, us vs them.

A playoff if you will.
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

Head to head isnt fair as that little saints ***** dived in the game against them and we ended up playing most of the game with 10 men if i remember correctly (if not im sure someone will correct me) but if im correct then surely if there is any justice in the world, we will win and they will draw, Karma!!!
Just remembered it was on 18 mins, Billy Sharp was arguing with noble and Matty Taylor came over and pushed him away in the chest and he went down holding his face like he had been shot, cheating little ****er, i realy hope we get automatic and they miss out on promotion because of this
capt pugwash

Post by capt pugwash »

Who started the match thread against manu during the great escape? Probably should have started this 1
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

Tristan Shout wrote:Head to head isnt fair as that little saints ***** dived in the game against them and we ended up playing most of the game with 10 men if i remember correctly (if not im sure someone will correct me) but if im correct then surely if there is any justice in the world, we will win and they will draw, Karma!!!

And our own inability to convert a couple of good chances into goals cost us that match, we did play well when at 10 men, but we should have come away with all 3 points which would put this weekends games into reverse and we would be second. We can only blame ourselves im afraid!
hammer2192

Post by hammer2192 »

Interesting that the Leicester match thread only had 3 pages 2 days before the game and this one already has 5. Where was the hope and belief then?
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

Absentee Hammer wrote: We can only blame ourselves im afraid!
So the little **** gets brushed in the chest, barely any pressure at all and he throws himself to the floor clutching his face rolling around writhing in agony and we have to play the majority of the game with 10 men due to a dirty, diving, cheating scumbag, but we can only blame ourselves eh? :thdn:
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

I still think it's fair to say that if we had started more home games with two strikers (Cole / Vaz Te) as in recent games, chances are we would have won more home games, especially against weak opposition like Doncaster or Watford. We would have secured promotion weeks ago and next Saturday's games would be irrelevant.

Now of course it's nailbiting, breathtaking and just much more like the West Ham way, so let's see how that pans out and how we fare in the playoffs if necessary... :crest: