Manchester Utd 1-0 West Ham Utd (28/11/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Re: Manchester United v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by The Gibbins »

Its a funny chant for sure, its just with the media the way they are at the moment this is just extra material to put in the paper and make current situations worse. Would be nice if the media could lighten up a bit and appreciate its ironic however.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1726 likes
Total likes: 1480 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

The shushing last night was endless....I have never seen a home crowd so quiet for years even more quiet than spurs.
jenkins89
Has liked: 1 like

Re: "We are the racist claret and blue army"

Post by jenkins89 »

The Mail also have "Crowd Watch" as well, though they focused on much more than just ours. For what it's worth, they commented that our fans were not heard to sing anything untoward.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1726 likes
Total likes: 1480 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Up the Junction wrote:According to a boxout in the Sun's match report this morning, this is what was sung at Old Trafford last night by a section of supporters in the away end.

Can anyone confirm/deny?

Edit: I'm looking for eye-witness accounts only - if you wish to discuss/comment, please use the match thread.
We sang we are West Hams clart and blue army non stop for a good 10 minutes. I didn't hear we are the racist claret and blue army once.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

paulhs1 wrote:The shushing last night was endless....I have never seen a home crowd so quiet for years even more quiet than spurs.
I went Old Trafford before and it was pretty quiet. I think you must get a massive spread of tourists, the glory hunters and the proper mancs so its not easy to get an atmosphere going. To be fair to them their away support is usually top class, as much as i hate to say it.

But then again, going to a few grounds over the years, i think the atmosphere in general has just died all over the country. Its just the anthems of the few teams that have one, then the atmosphere goes flat and you get a few "Sloop John B" chants once a goal goes in..
"Sloop John B" chants are my biggest issue with football at the moment, they need to f*** off and die :lol:
persona non grata
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by persona non grata »

Jaaskeleinen is Finnish but he's described as Icelandic in the KUMB match report. Truly shocking. The rascist in me thinks they're all the same. But they're not.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

persona non grata wrote:Jaaskeleinen is Finnish but he's described as Icelandic in the KUMB match report. Truly shocking. The rascist in me thinks they're all the same. But they're not.
:lol:
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Clacton-ammer wrote:Much better than I expected, good effort from Sam and the boys

How can we go with two up top and still play Nolan??
Yep good effort all round :thup:

If I had to be critical, I'd say our flanks were appalling. Jarvis looked lost, and when he did get into a decent position (which, fair play to him, happened more often than anyone else) his delivery was awful. And I can't say I really noticed Taylor. It got halfway through the second half and I was wondering if I'd missed him being subbed at half time. He did come into it later on (moreso once Jarvis went off), but our flanks were next to useless for me

So with that in mind, and how we could have changed things, I couldn't help thinking of Zola's diamond midfield...
Forget the flanks whilst we have no decent options there, go with 2 up top, and Nolan at the tip of a narrow diamond midfield...

---------Tomkins
--O'Neill--------Diame
----------Nolan
----------Maiga
--------Carroll/Cole

Maiga played in a free-ish role in the space behind the main striker, full backs overlapping, when possible, to provide the width, so maybe give Taylor a go at LB whilst Linda is out, so we have a natural leftie crossing from the left flank
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

Jarvis was poor, but as Hambrosia Stu said he did get into good positions, it was just his crossing was poor. Theres a good player there, i think he just needs a consistent run as injuries have ruined his run of games so far since he signed.
10 Iron

Post by 10 Iron »

Whatever happened to " The bells was ringing...-.....-' Knees up... etc, good old proper songs, as opposed to the chanting nowadays,

Get some song sheets made up UtJ , An we'll have a good Ol Knees up each time we score on a cold Sat morning,

Altogether now,

Knees up mother brown, knees up mother brown, under the table........................ :raver: -.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 747 likes
Total likes: 3415 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Thank you Paul. The more the merrier, so please keep the eye-witness accounts coming.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

GaryP wrote:Of course it was ironic and if any journo is foolish enough to report otherwise the screw them.
The problem, Gary, is that media sources globally are now reporting that we were hissing at Spurs fans on Sunday because of these people (John Cross of the Mirror, I'm looking at you).

It's not as simple as just saying 'screw them' any more. We all pay the price - you, me, the club.
10 Iron wrote:Knees up mother brown, knees up mother brown, under the table...........
Best idea yet 10I :D
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

last.caress wrote: "I'm not the Messiah!"

"Only the true Messiah would deny his own divinity!"

"Oh, what chance does that give me?! Alright, I AM the Messiah!"

"He IS! He IS the Messiah!"

If we start singing "We're the racist c&b army" for any reason, be it some sort of ironic pose or whatever, the media will jump on it, and they'll be perfectly happy to omit the irony (if they even spot it at all).

It's just a terrible idea. It SHOULD HAVE been funny, but no one's laughing at us right now, it seems.
Just about spot on, imo

When I saw the sticky thread at the top of the board, and saw what it referred to, my first thought was that's pretty damn funny really. It does highlight the particular wit of the West Ham crowd. Either there are loads of people celebrating the fact that they are part of a racist crowd, or there are loads of people who think that is just such a ludicrous idea that ironic mocking is all it is worthy of. I'm not going to stick a random percentage on it, but I imagine it was almost exclusively the latter

My second thought was "people aren't taking it seriously are they...? Oh jeez, they're not are they...? FFS!"

So maybe not the most PR friendly thing to do, but when have we ever bowed down to what others think? It's one thing that makes the West Ham crowd special imo. The ability to make our own minds up about what is right and wrong. Hence why our crowd is so respected in terms of appreciating the finer points of the game, be it the spirit it is played in, the integrety of the players or the intelligence of the football being played.....

I'm hoping, if anything, this will highlight the absurdity of suggesting the entire crowd is represented by a handful of muppets, and bring the debate back into the realms of reality. I somehow doubt it, given the tone of what I've read so far today...
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

I wouldn't believe a thing that shitrag says. They'll hear something through the grapvine and print it as gospel.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

I think the Times mentioned it (read it in the kitchen at work quickly before starting) - but they took it as suggested, which was purely tongue-in-cheek.

Other rags are unlikely to be as gracious, I'd guess.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1780 likes
Total likes: 2059 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

It's not just the commentators. From Sam's email this morning:-
We've now played the top two teams in the country and you could arguably say that we were unfortunate not to get another 0-0 against United.

Have a word....
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Up the Junction wrote: The problem, Gary, is that media sources globally are now reporting that we were hissing at Spurs fans on Sunday because of these people (John Cross of the Mirror, I'm looking at you).

It's not as simple as just saying 'screw them' any more. We all pay the price - you, me, the club.

I realise that mate, but we have to stick our ground. Your radio interview was a bloody good start. You stuck you your guns and made the journalists look rather daft.

We know they were wrong, so we don't need to follow their rules to make us look better.

We can't control the problem of having as many egotatsical lying arseholes in the media than we have racist morons in our support.

If we are happy as a fanbase and a club that we are not what is being reported then to me it is all that matters. The morons withion our fanbase will get their comuppance and so will the journos eventually.
Aceface
Has liked: 356 likes
Total likes: 1445 likes

Post by Aceface »

Christ.

I've been pretty outspoken about how dumb I thought some of the chants were on Saturday, but that would CLEARLY be tongue in cheek, if it even happened at all.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

GaryP wrote:If we are happy as a fanbase and a club that we are not what is being reported then to me it is all that matters.
I wish it was mate. But I think we all know whose side the FA will take, for example. What about the LLDC/Govt when they look at the OS? (I realise that will be seen as a positive for some!)
Denbighammer
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

I think its a funny chant, if it even happened at all. What is even funnier is that anyone would believe it to be sung seriously. Anything that gets the Daily Fail into a lather for no reason has be amusing surely?

What appeals about this is that there is nothing the police or authorities can do and its a delightful two-fingers up at the media and their mates like the Black Lawyers Association.