Sunderland 3-0 West Ham Utd (12/01/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Re: Sunderland v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Major wrote:

Whoever summed it up with; we were at our worst and they were at their best; just about nailed it for me. We don't need to drastically change anything, we just need to play better and make sure that the whole team does not have an off day at the same time. which we will.
And that's it really. They played like we can and often do, and as I hoped we were going to play yesterday. But it didn't happen for us. Disappointing yes, but it would only be worthy of genuine concern if that's how we had played consistently throughout the season and we were incapable of the sort of performances that we'd only just witnessed against Norwich and Man Utd.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Waiting for the game to start reading the programme I could not believe some of the tweets, granted from some loud mouths often ITK saying how great it was Noble was out, but then we continue to select Nolan who yesterday just did not look interested, A performance like yesterday is not acceptable, it's too easy to wipe off with a bad day at the office!

What about a manager who looked as interested as Nolan sat most of the game on his backside with his arms folded? he is picking the team, bringing in the players he wants but we just don't seem to be able to hold possession at times and once we pass the half way line into the opposition half we may as well just hand them the ball!

People pay good hard earned money to travel to Sunderland and then ticket prices and they put in the effort they did yesterday!
Jay-Dee
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Jay-Dee »

JC sums up the game for me on their 2nd goal. Yes, you can blame Potts in the end for not clearing it away, but if Joe were interested, he could have avoided the whole situation. As the counterattack starts, he's ahead of McClean on their left. But he doesn't bother taking the defensive run until it's too late, and McClean's one on one with Jussi. That lack of commitment cost us the game yesterday, not the fact that Potts was unfortunate in his debut. Diarra had a couple of similar situations. Our midfield without Diame and Noble is very poor.
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by Major »

Even if we take Man United to overtime or penalties, these problems won't go away. We play very poorly away from home, aren't scoring goals and more. Something in me would rather see us lose 5-0 on Wednesday because then we might actually look at this problem more seriously. We always bounce back and assume problems are solved then.

You have absolutely no idea, do you.

Its extra time , not over time
you would like to see us loose 5-0
and if we do you think we will magically find 100 mill to sort out our apparent problems?

You do come up with some **** but this is a real cracker.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

There ain't half some knee jerking on here when we lose. Some people need to get a grip. We were poor but are far better off than most predicted at the start of the season.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

The Old Mile End wrote:I’m struggling to understand why we play like this away from home? To me we are slow and off the pace. We allow opponents to play their natural game. We seemingly invite them forward...
My thoughts entirely. We're going to start putting our home form under intense pressure. How Allardyce keeps trying this non-football away from home is beyond me.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

JBs Caravan wrote:The situation with Potts ? he was loaned to Colchester,who then started losing 7 or 8 consecutive
games,and the lad then walks straight back into a Premiership team ?
Whats Jordan Spence and others doing wrong,i know they are right footed,but defensivley they are
far superior
Potts saves buying a left back ?
Derbyshire SAFC

Post by Derbyshire SAFC »

That was the worst West Ham display I have ever seen against our lot.

Fair play to your fans that went. almost non stop singing in the 2nd half.

Was a bit of a bummer going home though- A1 being shut at J48.
JBs Caravan

Post by JBs Caravan »

I cannot argue with you there,he will save us 2million,but be prepared for some rollercoaster performances
its exactly what Villa are doing,albeit with 6 or so players
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Jay-Dee wrote:JC sums up the game for me on their 2nd goal. Yes, you can blame Potts in the end for not clearing it away, but if Joe were interested, he could have avoided the whole situation. As the counterattack starts, he's ahead of McClean on their left. But he doesn't bother taking the defensive run until it's too late, and McClean's one on one with Jussi. That lack of commitment cost us the game yesterday, not the fact that Potts was unfortunate in his debut. Diarra had a couple of similar situations. Our midfield without Diame and Noble is very poor.
I agree with your point but what Potts did wasn't unfortunate, it was either **** or naive.
ChikinRun
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by ChikinRun »

Supported West Ham for 50 years, and I know full well about the stomach churning roller coaster rides that entails...but after our early season form (notwithstanding the Swansea debacle) and the way Sam had tightened us, I dared to believe that we were no longer a soft touch, like many no doubt. Five away goals all season and four or five truly woeful performances on the road and Sam's well earned reputation for well-drilled, solid teams that are are hard to beat is in jeapordy. I can just hear oppo fans saying ''we got West Ham next week, there's three points for the taking''...and I thought at least those days were over with Sam at the helm. Not a whimper till it was too late yesterday, and whilst the likes of Reading, QPR and Wigan are warming to their fight, we seem to be stumbling. I am worried now; only 7 points above the drop zone....we cannot afford any more pants performances like this. Fine the players a week's wages Sam (perhaps with the exception of Joe Cole they didn't turn up yesterday), kick their bottles and sort out the attitudes. QPR will be relishing coming to us next week; this dreadful showing has given them a psycological boost which we could've well done without.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Playing devils advocate here but looking at Sams demeanour yesterday i wonder if he has asked the board for money for players and they have set a limit and he does not like it? He wanted Olsson and possibly they said £2.5 million tops or whatever and he wanted to offer more?
He just looked so disinterested yesterday .
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

This is one of those performances where the manager's task has been easy to lay into the players, but who is taking the manager to task? He needs to be kept up to the quality of his work just as much as the players and should rightly be taking flak for yesterday.

We've seen too many of these poor performances away from home - often with the same players and team that play well at home. The manager and captain should be shouldering the responsibility too. What concerns me is that for all the apparent soul searching that occurs after these kind of defeats, we then get fed with a load of rhetorical bull**** about doing better, only to see us making the same mistakes time and again.

The squad really owe our travelling supporters a rousing display at Old Trafford.
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by Major »

Gerblatz wrote:This is one of those performances where the manager's task has been easy to lay into the players, but who is taking the manager to task? He needs to be kept up to the quality of his work just as much as the players and should rightly be taking flak for yesterday.

This is what gets me.

Why do we have to give "flak" to anyone?

we had a **** game, but on average we have played better than i thought we would this year, i dont think flak is required anywhere.

We lost, end of story.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Nightmare journey home. Stranded in traffic for about an hour on the A1, J47 or whatever it was.
On to the performance, probably one of the worst that I have seen in many a year following West Ham. Can't believe someone has said that every team member 'worked hard'. Really? So you though Collison, Vaz Te, Nolan etc worked their b*llocks off for the entire time they were on the pitch? Only players who I thought had a decent game were Joe Cole and Guy Demel, apart from that, we were pretty clueless. Much needs to be sorted out with our performances away from home, they simply aren't good enough and 5 goals away this season is unacceptable for any team across the Football League let alone a team who are mid table in the Premiership. Hope Sam sorts the team out for next Saturday for the visit of QPR, it is a big game for us and we can't let :arry: get one over us. They will be up for this as well after a good result yesterday, so we need to have a good overall performance.

Why was Noble out for this one? Haven't had time to check and nobody around me at the game seemed to know why he was not playing.

Our fans were excellent yesterday, especially in the 2nd half. That was far a better atmosphere than we've had actually winning at Upton Park in recent weeks.

One more thing...Scottish Hammers do my ****ing head in.
Norwich Iron
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Norwich Iron »

Bad day at the office yesterday that's for sure, but we'll be ok. I reckon we'll finish pretty much were we are now. Has anyone else noticed a pattern to our games?. Every time we play well we follow up with a **** performance like yesterdays. I think Sam is a good Manager but we are still not consistent. Once he achieves that he'll be agreat Manager imho!
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

carnage wrote:There ain't half some knee jerking on here when we lose. Some people need to get a grip. We were poor but are far better off than most predicted at the start of the season.
When should we discuss why we loose away from home, than after yet another deserved defeat by a team lingering in the bottom of the table?
giblet
Has liked: 1 like

Post by giblet »

Nobody controlling the forward midfield area.

Even with Noble, it's still weak.

With our style of play, it shows the value of having a chaotic, energetic, thug (NRC/Parker/Diame) there, to break up opposition play, cause some confusion, and let the more talented take the play forward.
HammerDownUnder

Post by HammerDownUnder »

jaybs wrote: What about a manager who looked as interested as Nolan sat most of the game on his backside with his arms folded?
I find it infuriating.

He was exactly the same at Swansea, it's not a good look to have your manager slumped in his seat while the team get completely overrun.
peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by peter49uk »

For what West ham players lack in the ability multi multi £million players give and show other teams, they have to make up with their desire to run thier nut's off, and Joe Cole's lack of desire to get back for the second goal shows this 110%.

I think this lack of desire to put a full shift in is what will hurt most West ham fans.

Look what they earn and what most of us earn and at times they show a bad attitude to just do thier job. I can hear countless saying this.

Come on West ham show this desire you have shown in game's this season, but in all games and dont worry about getting fatigued there are subs on the bench to replace you.

Re Potts I for one have seen enough good in the lad to see him being the regular left back in the very near future and go on and serve West ham just like his dad did.