Sunderland 3-0 West Ham Utd (12/01/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Re: Sunderland v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Gerblatz »

Major wrote:This is what gets me.

Why do we have to give "flak" to anyone?

we had a **** game, but on average we have played better than i thought we would this year, i dont think flak is required anywhere.

We lost, end of story.
Perhaps criticism for this game could be used rather than 'flak' - either way why give it? For me - and It has been alluded to by others - there is some concern and a danger that we could be at the early stages of slipping into a mire, whereas other teams around and below us are starting to make a bit more progress.

Yes we lost...the manager has dished out criticism to the players...he's not immune from it and should be getting some too, to remind him he's got to do better...or as supporters, should we just stay quiet and hope it goes away?

You're right, we have played better this year and I'd like to see more of it.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Bobby,

If you are about, how many have we conceded on the counter this season. I suspect a large amount.

Demel and Potts were caught too high up the pitch on too many occasions. They get a life when Noble plays but yesterday it was clear they had no cover but still bombed forward.
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by Major »

Perhaps criticism for this game could be used rather than 'flak' - either way why give it? For me - and It has been alluded to by others - there is some concern and a danger that we could be at the early stages of slipping into a mire, whereas other teams around and below us are starting to make a bit more progress.

Yes we lost...the manager has dished out criticism to the players...he's not immune from it and should be getting some too, to remind him he's got to do better...or as supporters, should we just stay quiet and hope it goes away?

You're right, we have played better this year and I'd like to see more of it.

The easy answer is; that in my experience encouragement works better than criticism. Especially where confidence is concerned.

To be honest as many have said, it doesn't really matter what people write on here its when the "criticism" overlaps to the stands. I just get the hump with some of the drama, like Sam is loosing it, Nolan is useless etc etc.Both statements are rubbish they are the same people that at the beginning of the season were being lauded. We will beat QPR and everyone will be looking for Europe again, everything seems to be OTT, we are mid table and i am happy with that at the moment. I have seen the word pathetic used a lot in this thread, for me that mind set is pathetic not the team. But there you go.

My point is; If the demographic of supporter on here is a good example of the ones that attend matches (Unlikely) we could have an issue that breeds nervousness, now is not the time for nerves it is the time for resolve and encouragement.

And that comes from the crowd. IMO
Jay-Dee
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Jay-Dee »

EvilC wrote: I agree with your point but what Potts did wasn't unfortunate, it was either **** or naive.
Unfortunate, as in he got the difficult situation of being the one who got the rebound in chest height, very close to him, facing his own keeper and with opponents around him. I'm not so sure Tomka or Collins would've solved that situation either!
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

We have now achieved what many craved, a return to the 'West Ham way'. Great pre-Xmas, rubbish after. Blindingly brilliant one match, heartbreakingly awful the next. Keep a perspective, its what you signed up to and enjoy the ride.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Major wrote:The easy answer is; that in my experience encouragement works better than criticism. Especially where confidence is concerned.

To be honest as many have said, it doesn't really matter what people write on here its when the "criticism" overlaps to the stands. I just get the hump with some of the drama, like Sam is loosing it, Nolan is useless etc etc.Both statements are rubbish they are the same people that at the beginning of the season were being lauded. We will beat QPR and everyone will be looking for Europe again, everything seems to be OTT, we are mid table and i am happy with that at the moment. I have seen the word pathetic used a lot in this thread, for me that mind set is pathetic not the team. But there you go.

My point is; If the demographic of supporter on here is a good example of the ones that attend matches (Unlikely) we could have an issue that breeds nervousness, now is not the time for nerves it is the time for resolve and encouragement.

And that comes from the crowd. IMO
In my experience, criticism can be just as much about motivating confidence and resolve as well as airing views, otherwise why would football managers use it? It depends on what the motives are behind the criticism.

On here, more often than not, it seems to be borne more out of frustration rather than nerves...that's not much to do with demographics in my view, but more about how people who post, express it.
smarthammer

Post by smarthammer »

Points and staying up are the priority so I’ve never expected anything other than respect the point and nick it if you can away from home this season.

Sunderland’s early goal put us in a spin we didn’t recover from and they didn’t have to play that well in the end to beat us. The many complacent performances in the team means Sam won’t need to make excuses to them to change it.

Without Diame we have no central thrust and just looping balls out to the wing where we fail to make anything meaningful from it. Jarvis (for me) continues to disappoint even when he is given the ball and our midfield was passed through/bypassed easily today.

Even if this strategy had worked Sunderlands (any many other well drilled defences) had it covered and we rely on too many 2nd balls/rebounds etc.. to get a shot off.

Did Nolan play? Diarra couldn’t hack the pace and Tompkins didn’t do himself any favours. Potts I feel sorry for.

We didn’t score, couldn’t score or look like scoring either but thought Chamakh’s first touch and distribution looked fleeter of foot and mind when he came on.

In isolation a bad day at the office but 5 goals away all season says something’s got to change.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

peter49uk wrote:For what West ham players lack in the ability multi multi £million players give and show other teams, they have to make up with their desire to run thier nut's off, and Joe Cole's lack of desire to get back for the second goal shows this 110%.
Harsh that bruv.

Yes he was a little slow to react to McLean's run but I don't think he could believe he was last man. Hadn't he just taken the free kick? When he realised what was on he tried his hardest to cover but just didn't have the legs.....
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

bristolhammerfc wrote:
Reading back and on reflection I got this wrong. I pulled Cardiff up publically so its only fair I apologise in the same way. I have PM'd him as well.

I should have read it in context and reacted accordingly.
No problem Bristol,water under the bridge & all that :thup:
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

There's only a few matches every season where I'm not either at the game, watching it at home, or at the very least following along with text updates. But on those occasions when I'm completely out of range - as I was yesterday - we always, always get massacred. Can't remember the last time I got back in range and checked the score on the BBC and found it was anything other than a rout for the other team.

The next time this will happen is Arsenal away in a few weeks. Be warned.
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

EvilC wrote: I agree with your point but what Potts did wasn't unfortunate, it was either **** or naive.
Ok,gonna chuck something out there....I know Potts is getting all the grief but anyone think Joe Cole positioning was awful for the 2nd goal??

How much room did he give Johnson(?) down the left hand side to basically run freely into our box??

Thats the problem I got with Joe Cole.He's too much of a 'luxury' to have in the side & its not what West Ham really needs at this point of time.We need a solid system that players work hard,keep their discipline & also most importantly stay in position.Cole had wandered into the centre,with the feeling of getting a goal for himself instead of thinking of his position & the danger around him.It wasnt like the 89th minute & we needed a goal,it was only the 47th minute.

The feeling I get with JC is he is always an individual spark in a team & if he doesnt produce that spark then he offers little else.Granted he had two sparks vs Man United in the cup,but maybe a bit like Di Canio,we shouldnt play Joe Cole away from home.

Luxury is not needed this season,organisation & workrate is required imho.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Have to agree with Major here, just because we were turned over 3-0 by Sunderland who have spent over £70 Million in the past 3 years people are going into panic mode.

We are currently 11 points from 5th place and 7 from the relegation places, looking at it we need 3 more wins and 5 draws and I would say that is us safe.

I think with the good start we made, people have got far too ahead of themselves. We are above the other two newly promoted sides, so seem to be on track for a decent enough finish.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Boo

Allardyce out

etc.

A bit of bringing us back down to earth after a great defensive performance against Man U last week. It might stand us in good stead long term.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Frankly if our only problem is we are **** away from home then I can live with that.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Diogenes wrote:We have now achieved what many craved, a return to the 'West Ham way'. Great pre-Xmas, rubbish after. Blindingly brilliant one match, heartbreakingly awful the next. Keep a perspective, its what you signed up to and enjoy the ride.
I thought the whole poin of Allardyce was an end to this. We might as well try and play decent football if we're going to start losing in style again!
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:
Ok,gonna chuck something out there....I know Potts is getting all the grief but anyone think Joe Cole positioning was awful for the 2nd goal??

How much room did he give Johnson(?) down the left hand side to basically run freely into the box?
Positioning? :lol:

He'd just taken a free kick for us up the other end and then inexplicably found himself last man as Sunderland countered. McLean got the run on him and he didn't have the pace to get back.

What the f*** were Tomkins, Reid and Diarra all doing going up for a free kick 2 minutes into the second half? We were only one nil down. Where was Potts?

Joe Cole works as hard and covers more ground than most.....
Last edited by Morocco Mole on Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

carnage wrote:There ain't half some knee jerking on here when we lose. Some people need to get a grip. We were poor but are far better off than most predicted at the start of the season.
I think the reaction is not to the defeat but the manner of the defeat.

I've just skimmed through the Arsenal match thread where we were beaten 3-1 at home. While there is obviously disappointment, the main feeling there was 'We did what we could but were beaten by a better team'. In common with many West Ham supporters I don't ask that we win every game, only that the players who have the honour to pull on the Claret and Blue give their all for it on the pitch.

Yesterday they gave nothing like their all for the shirt, and that's why so many on here got angry.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

What was the matter with Nobes ?

We missed him hugely yesterday...

Jarvis and Diarra were the worst of a bad bunch.

Credit where its due...well done Jussi
PumaKing

Post by PumaKing »

A long day and the hold up on the A1 didnt help.

All in all a bad day in the office for us. From the start we were not tight enough and not 'in their shorts'. When we got the ball we were not too concerned to give it away. Our passing was atrocious and lax at times. There were also too many players who were going through the motions. It had all the hallmark of coming off a great result against Man U and its only Sunderland and they're strugging....so just by turning up we should win at best or get a draw.

Lets hope they learn from this and move on. As a group of players they have done unbelievably well to get us where we are thus far in the season, but they need to take a close look at themselves and their individual performances and work harder next time.

I can single out individual performances but I wont, no one played well, many, too many, played poorly.

Lets dust oursleves down, pick ourselves up and get three points next Saturday, thats a must.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Romford wrote:What was the matter with Nobes ?

We missed him hugely yesterday...
Thigh strain I think.....