Sunderland 3-0 West Ham Utd (12/01/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

If only....
Location: Wondering why WHU is not on the thrillseekers list of the most extreme rollercoasters

Re: Sunderland v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by If only.... »

Another week when I don't bother with Football First. MOTD will be quite sufficient punishment.

Could do without Manure midweek, would much prefer to just concentrate on 3 points Saturday.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Despite us playing very poorly today I can't help but feel optimistic. We always lose so many games a season, a defeat away to Sunderland happens to be one of them this season.

I thought we played fantastic against man u and i'm sure there are many more wins in this side this season. Very bad day at the office, nothing more.

As to comments about swearing, I never post a comment on facebook anymore when drunk, or emotional, as was very embarrassed when we lost to Birmingham in the cup semi, and the whole world knew what a twat I was going in to work the next day. :oops:
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

jacko wrote:Bristol, it's none of my beeswax but think your attack on Cardiff is way OTT.
When you have to spend your evening dealing with the fall out you might understand.

You might want to look back at the Reading match thread when his almost word for word posts caused us no end of grief.

I have no problem with him debating, and I hope he continues but that's not what he's doing he's telling people on a match thread not to debate the match.

I also have no problem with you calling me on it and respect to you for doing so.
Bzzz

Post by Bzzz »

We're still 5 points in front of the relegation battle, we can afford to have a bad day, everyone calm down, but we will need to bounce back and I'm sure we will against QPR, Diame will destroy them.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

HamburgHammer wrote:We need something different for our away games,
....it's funny.....but again today we've had a moment of Keystone Cops defending away from home.

It doesn't happen at home (tempting fate I know).

Reading. Swansea. Wigan. Sunderland.

In every single one we've given up a truly daft goal - usually from attempted back passes to the keeper......
Neil
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Neil »

bristolhammerfc wrote:My view is that those who have paid a large amount of money to travel away might be entitled to moan about the result. Your net spend of zero on this game you may or may not have watched on the internet means you can easily write this result off others may feel they can't.

Your description of KUMB as a forum and your disrespect for the views of others however much they differ from your view based on the above, is more knee jerk than anything.

The constant list of expletives to underline your perception is a poor way of conducting a balanced debate which is what these forums provide. You are neither a moderator or entitled to dictate who and how members post on here.

If you continue to attack other posters for their opinion, you will be prevented from posting yours. If you take issue with this please PM UTJ or any of the other moderators quoting this post.

Now back on topic please.

You know bristolhammer I rarely post here

I have been watching WHU for far too long (since the late 1950s) to be surprised by anything that happens. I wasn't at Sunderland but, clearly, we weren't at the races today and we presented a performance that many of us can recognise from years gone by. Having said that we are doing far better this year both as a club and a team this season than I dared hope

I am a pessimist and always think things will go t""s up and we will get relegated and maybe we will - but I, sort of, think not

Anyway not the reason for this post. You are a mod here - something I do on other boards - and I genuinely think it is a shame that you felt the need to flex your muscles publically. All the stuff about banning could have been said to Cardiff privately - and I am not supporting (or otherwise) his view just commenting on the way things are done

Retreats to not posting again

:)
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

last.caress wrote:
Christ, you can't lament a poor performance or cast even one eye towards the dogfight places, because that's "knee-Jerk". But you can't go all Dambusters if we have a 5-game unbeaten run because that's "deluded". Do you know, it used to be a ****ing pleasure sharing the highs and lows that West Ham could ellicit with other supporters. Getting emotional - OVER-emotional, sometimes - was part of the joy of it all. Now, every bloody result - good OR bad - is another opportunity for someone else to tell me how I'm allowed to feel.
Thats the thing.I'm not telling you how to feel.

What I'm trying to say is that it seems to me that,IMO we go OTT when we lose & not OTT when we win.

And the prove I was giving was that this match thread hit 34 pages at 4.50pm & sometimes we're lucky to hit 34 pages in total when we beat Norwich(great win & performance) or beat Chelsea at home.

There need to be a balance & the only balance again IMO is to look at the league table & see we have 26 points & only 15 points away from safety.

But,I understand what your saying,it didnt mean to come across like I'm trying to take the 'emotion' out of todays poor performance.
Last edited by Cardiff here we come..... on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

That was really poor today. The performance was like one from Grant's days in that the defence was a dis-jointed mess and the rest of the team no better. I felt sorry for Cole and Chamakh. They got no service and little support. It did seem like the bad old days of trips up North and I almost wondered if the boys had been out on the lash in Shields or the Big Market last night.

We really missed Noble and a fit Diame. Diarra obviously needs time to aclimatise to this league- we need to patient with him. He's obviously quality if he's captained France - we saw that in the last game. Shame about Pottsy's mistake. It didn't seem to affect him which is a good sign.

A result like todays can easily make you forget how well we've played in the last two games and how positively we've felt. We do need to get over this one but there is no need to panic.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Neil,

Again no problem.

The trouble with a PM is that it doesn't stop other posters PM'ing us or continuing to stoke the argument.

Setting out the stall (so to speak), gives everyone a chance to calm down and revert back to normal.

Again no problem with your opinion
american 'ammer

Post by american 'ammer »

I'm sick of this garbage about Allardyce setting us out to draw/bore teams. Look at the squad today.

C. Cole
Jarvis - Nolan - J. Cole

That is an attacking front four. It isn't Sam's fault that Nolan couldn't be bothered to chase a ball, that Carlton couldn't hold it up, that Jarvis couldn't dribble past a single defender, and that Joe got pushed off of the ball and had no passing outlets.

Diarra was the anchor man, yes, and sat in front of the back four, but Collison was supposed to be the ball carrier in midfield and had a terrible game.

I actually thought Potts had a great first half, but was punished in the second.

It wasn't that we weren't attacking enough, it was that our attack was too disconnected from the rest of the team. They didn't get back and help enough, didn't keep possession, and generally squandered every pass they could.

We really could have used Andy Carroll today. His hold up play would have given us a breather and his flick ons would have brought Nolan to life. Cole simply has no idea where to put the ball for our captain.

Terrible, terrible passing = losing Premier League games. Even against Martin ****ing O'Neil.
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

bristolhammerfc wrote:
I have no problem with him debating, and I hope he continues but that's not what he's doing he's telling people on a match thread not to debate the match.

No,I'm not telling people not too debate.

What,I'm trying to say through my posts is not to take too much notice of this ONE result.Dont get too disheartened or fed up,we'll be OK this season.

Thats what I was trying to achieve TBH.

There is no spite or malice in my posts.

I want you all to enjoy your saturday night & not get too wound up.

Respect you all.

:crest:
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Wrong thread
Last edited by Yea Why Not on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baritalia

Post by baritalia »

If only.... wrote:Another week when I don't bother with Football First. MOTD will be quite sufficient punishment.

Could do without Manure midweek, would much prefer to just concentrate on 3 points Saturday.
I think some players need to prove they deserve to even on the bench in the league.
Neil
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Neil »

bristolhammerfc wrote:Neil,

Again no problem.

The trouble with a PM is that it doesn't stop other posters PM'ing us or continuing to stoke the argument.

Setting out the stall (so to speak), gives everyone a chance to calm down and revert back to normal.

Again no problem with your opinion

Sure

And, believe me, I know what a pain in the a""e modding is

Problem is, if you do it openly, you can create martyrs. Got the t shirt on that one

:)

I think telling someone to chill is one thing - threatening a ban is another

Anyways - good luck with it. I don't envy you the job
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

AJ wrote:Does this result highlight

1. How much we miss Noble

2. That Collision and Diarra are not yet match-fit?
I shied off from the thread as the match was progressing, but these are the questions I wondered about too.

It was almost as if today was the chuck away game, with the replay at OT the priority.

Or, is Noble nursing some secret injury? Collison and Diarra are welcome options if/when fully fit, but I hadn't realised that there were plans to make them first choice pairing.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

american 'ammer wrote:

I actually thought Potts had a great first half, but was punished in the second.

Terrible, terrible passing = losing Premier League games. Even against Martin ****ing O'Neil.
No player has given the ball away more than he did today, that has played 60 mins or more of football for us in the Premier League this season, and he improved in the second half where giving the ball away was concerned.

Sunderland didn't pass the ball more accurately than us today, both teams had 75% accuracy.
american 'ammer

Post by american 'ammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Or, is Noble nursing some secret injury? Collison and Diarra are welcome options if/when fully fit, but I hadn't realised that there were plans to make them first choice pairing.
Wasn't there some announcer comment about Noble being injured? Or did I dream that in my depressed fugue?
richiepap

Post by richiepap »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:Thats the thing.I'm not telling you how to feel.

What I'm trying to say is that it seems to me that,IMO we go OTT when we lose & not OTT when we win.

And the prove I was giving was that this match thread hit 34 pages at 4.50pm & sometimes we're lucky to hit 34 pages in total when we beat Norwich(great win & performance) or beat Chelsea at home.

There need to be a balance & the only balance again IMO is to look at the league table & see we have 26 points & only 15 points away from safety.

But,I understand what your saying,it didnt been to come across like I'm trying to take the 'emotion' out of todays poor performance.
Why read the thread then? If you know what it's going to be like, and that that will annoy you, why read it? What did you think it was going to contain?

It's ok for people to have a good moan on here. It's not like they're going to post their last goodbyes before doing something drastic. You don't need to calm people down or give them perspective because I don't think they're looking for it. Perhaps people just want to let off steam. The thing is you get wound up about people being wound up. Telling them to stop won't achieve much. You're just getting frustrated at their frustration.

I don't think anyone on this thread is as annoyed as you, yet you're purveying yourself as the voice of reason.

Form is patchy at best at the moment. Away results are terrible. I bet Sam himself doesn't think it's alright.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Gerblatz wrote:Two big games next week...for me QPR is the bigger now...
True enough.

Lets give Harry a 'Chelsea-style' performance.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Mike420 wrote:What is becoming a worrying trend is that we:

1) Start games so poorly

2) Can't win away from home often enough

3) Haven't got back to back wins yet

4) Our strikers aren't scoring

Really puts the pressure on for the QPR game. A QPR team that have been showing some fight, something we've forgotten how to do it seems.

Thats doesnt seem to be knee jerking. Someone better explain to CHWC!