Sunderland 3-0 West Ham Utd (12/01/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Re: Sunderland v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by 61dicksey »

OUr captain, who is supposed to be on the pitch for his inspiration value as well as football ability was lacking in both departments and needs the kick up the arse of being dropped.
No man is bigger than the team.
Jarvis likewise one of Sams buys and he plays him continually without any produce.
This is where Sam falls flat sometimes blindly loyal to players who are clearly not worthy of a starting spot.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

Nolan and Jarvis were truly woeful and both need dropping.
Iron Spine v2.0
Location: You don't wanna go and eat a snack like that! You'll end up with your teeth all grey,

Post by Iron Spine v2.0 »

Sam and Nolan, when the unmovable force meets the undroppable object...
Hammers_Irons

Post by Hammers_Irons »

Bad result today although today I didn't expect anything given Sunderland's improved recent form. First goal is key in these games and they had a wonder goal! Our away form isn't great overall.

The way I see is the bottom half of EPL as it stands is effectively teams in relegation battle with some teams closing the gap at the bottom. The positive for us is that we are in a better position compare to others at the moment. First season back in EPL we just need to stay up and hopefully we can win enough home games to stay up and build from there!

Believe in Sam and the squad! :crest:
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 1641 likes

Post by last.caress »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:The 'list' that actually looks at a season as a 'whole' rather than one f**king defeat.
Well, this is the "Sunderland v West Ham" thread, I'd imagine many posters will be discussing the game in isolation. Is that not allowed, then? We could have won the last 20 on the bounce and be waltzing away with the league, it wouldn't stop today's result - and more importantly, performance - being a poor one. As it is, we HAVEN'T won 20 on the bounce, our "as a whole" position - which nobody disputes is okay - is being propped up by early form that appears to have abandoned us. If we'd just won our last four to crawl out of the drop zone and into mid-table, we'd all be delighted with exactly the same position as we're in now. But we're stumbling and struggling. 7 points in our last 9 games. 13 points in the 9 games before that. Doing roughly half as well as we were. It's not "knee-jerk" to feel concerned about that, or even (sshhh!) a tad disappointed.

Christ, you can't lament a poor performance or cast even one eye towards the dogfight places, because that's "knee-Jerk". But you can't go all Dambusters if we have a 5-game unbeaten run because that's "deluded". Do you know, it used to be a ****ing pleasure sharing the highs and lows that West Ham could ellicit with other supporters. Getting emotional - OVER-emotional, sometimes - was part of the joy of it all. Now, every bloody result - good OR bad - is another opportunity for someone else to tell me how I'm allowed to feel.
bspur1

Post by bspur1 »

Westcliff Hammer wrote:. Apart from the odd mistake (which you're going to get from an 18 year old) Potts did ok considering it was he's Premier League debut.
I don't want to crucify him because he is young, a defenders prime role is to defend, adding the ability to get forward is a bonus. He looked ok going forward but made two crucial errors. So his game was very poor.

Collins has made 2-3 odd mistakes "all season" and he gets crucified
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Great post LC.

For the record I am 100% behind Sam, but he had a bad day at the office today.
bspur1

Post by bspur1 »

bristolhammerfc wrote:Great post LC.

For the record I am 100% behind Sam, but he had a bad day at the office today.
I too am 100% behind Sam and not once have i ever been disappointed with the brand of football he dished up but i was today. (and it wasn't hoofball, it was just unimaginative and static)
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Bristol, it's none of my beeswax but think your attack on Cardiff is way OTT.
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

bristolhammerfc wrote:My view is that those who have paid a large amount of money to travel away might be entitled to moan about the result. Your net spend of zero on this game you may or may not have watched on the internet means you can easily write this result off others may feel they can't.

If you continue to attack other posters for their opinion, you will be prevented from posting yours. If you take issue with this please PM UTJ or any of the other moderators quoting this post.
Yes,but all the posters that posted between 4.30pm & now at 5.45pm werent at the game either...so their net spend is ZERO.

I'm attacking no one & UTJ can read back on my comments & see I'm not attacking anyone.I'm trying my best to stop these fans from being in a bad mood or having too many beverages due to one defeat.Its not important.Staying up is though.

BristolHammer,your saying its ok to post comments that argee with your standpoint but basically threatening a 'ban' if they dont see it your way.As a moderator you cant have that attitude.I'm just giving my opinion,which at the moment might be in the minority,but its still an opinion.

One poster called be an ar*ehole,I'm not jumping up & down about it.

We'll beat QPR 5-0 next match,its the West Ham way x last 25 years.

We're all West ham fans at the end of the day....

Respect you all
Last edited by Cardiff here we come..... on Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

Does this result highlight

1. How much we miss Noble

2. That Collision and Diarra are not yet match-fit?
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

I've done more than my fair share of long away trips.

Those who go on these journeys know the score. Pay the money and gamble on a decent show from the team which, historically, is unlikely to happen. Check the stats.

We rarely win away in the top flight. The away day fans know that.

This was a shocker. Why the surprise? Why the disappointment with Sam's tactics? Haven't you sussed him yet?

If you want 'pretty' you won't get it from this fella. It's a workmalike, statistics based approach which has served him incredibly well.

We'll get 40+ points. If we were offered that at Wembley last May, most would have been amazed.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Reading those stats in LC's post is depressing. We need a resounding win next week......... :crest:
irongav
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by irongav »

I have seen drunk ugly blokes in nightclubs making more successful passes than that! Still it was cold and miserable n the stewards were jobsworth texts! Best bit of the day was last 20 minutes choir practice. Thank u fellow irons for cheering n warming me up. Lets stuff the mancs 8-)
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Arsene Wenger won't have to spend much time studying videos of our away performances. It's not as if there'll be any surprises in how we'll set up, how we'll play and how to play right through us.
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

BristolHammer,Are you also saying we(as posters) cannot post swear words when we post now?

I post the way i feel at that particular time.I post like I'm talking to you down the pub & not writing a speech out that takes me 30 minutes to write(not that you are either).

Seriously,I find your post about threatening a ban,unbelivable.

Do you stand by what you said?
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

We need something different for our away games, that's for sure. Now if that's 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 or 4-3-3, I don't know, but one striker only doesn't seem to work, does it ? Also Nolan deserves to be dropped now, skipper and all, Noble can take over temporarily in that role and whenever he did we seemed to play quite well.

Hopefully Collins is not injured too badly, but I suppose this is the big chance for Tomkins now.
Also I doubt Newcastle will bid enough money now to tempt us selling Tomkins with no sufficient cover available...
Westcliff Hammer

Post by Westcliff Hammer »

The one thing i think we should look at is giving Vaz Te a spell up top with one of our other forwards giving us an extra dimension going forward. I think he has all the atributes to become a good striker he knows where the goal is and has pace which defenders really hate. Its only a cup game and what do we stand to lose if it doesnt work? Its United away if we get a result thats a bonus but realistically its unlikely we'll get a result up there.
My main problem with our forward line is we don't have anyone who offers anything different to what we already have, We aren't in the financial position to invest in another forward so our striking options are what we have at the moment.
bspur1

Post by bspur1 »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:BristolHammer,Are you also saying we(as posters) cannot post swear words when we post now?

I post the way i feel at that particular time.I post like I'm talking to you down the pub & not writing a speech out that takes me 30 minutes to write(not that you are either).

Seriously,I find your post about threatening a ban,unbelivable?

Do you stand by what you said?
You used bold letters to say" FFS stay positive everyone".

You should know bold letters are only to be used to highlight how **** "CFC, Nolan , LBM or our newest sigining who hasnt impressed in 5 minutes of pitch time are " or to highlight " Curbs, BFS or Daves Out"
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Very disappointed with the result today - we didn't turn up and compete. I have my own theories for this and hope we get through this window without too much more disruption. The team spirit that was there seems to evaporate all too easily.

With Ginge picking up his timely injury, it looks like JT will get his tilt at forming a partnership with Reid now.

Two big games next week...for me QPR is the bigger now...