Sunderland 3-0 West Ham Utd (12/01/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: Sunderland v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by thejackhammer »

Personally, I think if we get through, by any means, even penalties, it'd be a massive boost for confidence and morale. I'd rather play QPR on the back of holding Man United 1-1, then beating them on penalties than having lost on penalties or having lost beforehand.
West Ham Tom

Post by West Ham Tom »

Just got back. Long journey home!
Disappointing performance more than the result.
If the lads put in the effort then you could say fair enough. Just no desire today. Summed up for me was vaz te. Good player and I'm a huge fan but he was getting our fans riled up as he spent most the time sitting on the floor when play was carrying on around him.
Need. A left back. Too exposed down the left. Players owe us a performance at old trafford.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Sam is great about letting everyone know his players under-performed, unlike these managers who defend their team no matter what.

No panic as we have players coming into a team who need to settle snd gel. J Cole, Chamahk, Diarra, Potts and Collison.

We missed Noble's enthusiasm to cover every blade of grass and I don't think it will be too long before he wears the capts armband.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

kayahammer wrote:Sam is great about letting everyone know his players under-performed, unlike these managers who defend their team no matter what.

No panic as we have players coming into a team who need to settle snd gel. J Cole, Chamahk, Diarra, Potts and Collison.

We missed Noble's enthusiasm to cover every blade of grass and I don't think it will be too long before he wears the capts armband.
the midfield was far too slow.. i mean diarra and nolan.. cole isnt the fasted... leaving jack to carry the team.. which is bit much to hope for when he been out so long.

Its like we didnt learn again from the united game.. they let our midfielders have the ball and look better than we are.. same happend chelsea first half the next game after the last united game..
ChikinRun
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by ChikinRun »

[quote="Believer"
Swansea
Reading
Sunderland

Have i missed any other shockers out?

The scum
JBs Caravan

Post by JBs Caravan »

The situation with Potts ? he was loaned to Colchester,who then started losing 7 or 8 consecutive
games,and the lad then walks straight back into a Premiership team ?
Whats Jordan Spence and others doing wrong,i know they are right footed,but defensivley they are
far superior
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

jacko wrote:Bristol, it's none of my beeswax but think your attack on Cardiff is way OTT.

Reading back and on reflection I got this wrong. I pulled Cardiff up publically so its only fair I apologise in the same way. I have PM'd him as well.

I should have read it in context and reacted accordingly.

Those that pulled me on it, fair play.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Watching the game on TV, it seemed that some of the players looked disinterested.

Collison, Vaz Te in particular. They were Ok with the ball but they didn't work for the team. I don't know if this is both coming back off an injury or attitude.

Potts shouldn't get pillored for what showed as a lack of experience and understanding. He is supposed to be learning his trade at his age not playing against experienced forwards. He got caught out of position a lot but his work rate was first class.

Demel was caught way to high up the pitch on numerous occasions. He has been protected when Noble plays, but with Vaz and JC on the pitch he was exposed.

Playing one up top is predictable and easy to play against when Nolan is off form which he is at the moment. He will be his own worst critic, but Sam needs to have a look at whether to rest him.

A bad, bad day at the office, but I make us safe this season. Sort out Sams future and we can start building.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Any Old Iron wrote:Our abysmal away form is due to Allardyces extremely negative approach, summed up by himself on MOTD tonight;

"our work ethic away from home has to be about stopping the opposition".

What a truly depressing way of approaching a football match. What an oaf!
But, in a nod to his consistency, we ought to accept that he made a similar comment before embarking on a successful promotion campaign last season. Its just that, last year, the players seemed to disregard him in the face of inferior opposition.

The reality is that he is a coach who has certain methods that have in the main served him well. More recently, at Blackburn, he managed a team that flirted with relegation from time to time, but ground out the results it needed. His time at Bolton was more than 5 years ago. Tactics have changed.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Nolan Nolan Nolan NOLAN!

We are constantly a man down. We are a man short in midfield and a man short up front. The lad hasn't had a positive impact on a game for 10 games now. He doesn't do anything even when he gets on the score sheet. His overall involvement in a game is a disgrace. How many tackles does he make in a game? How many times does he create anything for anyone? I understand his role as captain and he has a good impact on the dressing room, but away from home he's costing us in my opinion. How much better did we look against Norwich when the shackles were taken off Noble? Noble was beating men, linking up with other players and creating for others. Nolan does none of this. Get Joey central and Vaz Te on the wing, I've had enough of Nolan. Standing on the keeper at corners and moving to the back post isn't enough for me.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Sunderlands best performance - arguably our worst.

Whether its our first season back or not, we're going to have these days. No means the end of the world - disappointed yes, surprised no.

Potts is just a kid, academy product still learning his trade. Proper fans will get behind him and give him the time he needs to developl, McCartney and JOB make more mistakes than most. 2 of the poorest full backs in the prem. Pottsy is the future, those being so analytical over a 19yr olds performance need to have a word with themselves - last week he was excellent against one of the best teams in Europe. Yesterday nobody played well, he screwed up for the second goal - so what? We've all made rickets at work.

Good week coming up - after we go through on pens on wednesday night we'll beat Rangers next week and the worlds a better place again.
baritalia

Post by baritalia »

Dannyboylister wrote:Nolan Nolan Nolan NOLAN!

We are constantly a man down. We are a man short in midfield and a man short up front. The lad hasn't had a positive impact on a game for 10 games now. He doesn't do anything even when he gets on the score sheet. His overall involvement in a game is a disgrace.
I don't think our display against Norwich was a coincidence.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

I’m struggling to understand why we play like this away from home? To me we are slow and off the pace. We allow opponents to play their natural game. We seemingly invite them forward.

Our tactics are such that we do not pick up players – there is no man to man marking for example. This gives midfielders especially, time on the ball and any team playing with a bit of fire and passion will overrun us – just like Sunderland did. This style of play encourages the opposition to shoot from distance. Yet another “wonder” strike was conceded from long range – how many now? We allow them time and space around the box our midfield is guilty of not picking up players making runs in these areas.

Another early goal was conceded, but our response was to register just one goal attempt in the entire half. A second would have rendered it all over in that period. It’s not the first time we have played this way either; Swansea, Wigan, West Brom, Reading were all the same type of performance. There is a poor work ethic all round, and this includes the manager slumped in his chair. The saying that Sam Allardyce creates teams who work hard and are difficult to beat is quite frankly a myth.

When playing in this style, we are a wallop waiting to happen. I have felt this coming for some time now and somewhere like Sunderland is just the type of place for it to happen. Yesterday is not as bad as it might get.

This is a dangerous time of the season. Disruptions due to weather, cup games, internationals and the transfer window can see a team suddenly struggling come March. It is only our home form that is preventing this at the moment – but a surplus of away games due to the reasons listed, can soon change that.

And so onto to Man Utd. Being West Ham, I don’t see anything in between a victory or a serious slap.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

bristolhammerfc wrote: A bad, bad day at the office, but I make us safe this season. Sort out Sams future and we can start building.
This shows the value of early season points, under avram we tried to do the summer on the cheap, got a bad start and were always under pressure. QPR are finding out this time, they have a good result and it has very little impact on their situation so the pressure grows.

I can't see it taking much more than 35/36 points this year so barring catastrophe we should be fine. The next month or so will probably decide things for us. We don't need another run of 4 points or worse from 15 though as the last couple of months look quite tough.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Ozza »

Thought we missed noble big time yesterday.
baritalia

Post by baritalia »

Ozza wrote:Thought we missed noble big time yesterday.
Stick that magic captain armband to his right arm on Wednesday and we'll be fine.
NE hammer

Post by NE hammer »

Walked out after their 3rd went in, something I've never done before. Abysmal doesn't even begin to describe the utter bilge served up. I think The Old Mile End sums it up perfectly. Sadly I suspect it will be the usual spineless showing at OT as there was nothing yesterday to suggest otherwise.
baritalia

Post by baritalia »

NE hammer wrote:Walked out after their 3rd went in, something I've never done before. Abysmal doesn't even begin to describe the utter bilge served up. I think The Old Mile End sums it up perfectly. Sadly I suspect it will be the usual spineless showing at OT as there was nothing yesterday to suggest otherwise.
Even if we take Man United to overtime or penalties, these problems won't go away. We play very poorly away from home, aren't scoring goals and more. Something in me would rather see us lose 5-0 on Wednesday because then we might actually look at this problem more seriously. We always bounce back and assume problems are solved then.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

very dissapointing yesterday,
our players are better than that performance would suggest, some are coming back from injury or are not match fit due to lack of games i know but still I beleive that our fans, especially our travelling fans deserve better than this. When i pull on my shirt I do so with pride and i would hope that our players do too, didnt see that yesterday. It looked like they were tired and dissinterested for the most part. We reset too deep and put no pressure on the ball at all for the entire game. Big Sam may beleive that they key to away games is frustrating the oposition but you have to have an attacking option too and Carlton was woefully isolated. Of course, if you set up to frustrate a team and they score you have to be able to adapt, or adopt a different strategy, and that is where Sam failed yesterday, its alright him critisising the players for underperforming but i think he needs to take a long look at himself too

I like to think the lads will be made to watch that a few times in the next couple of days so they can see how truly bad they were.

Then its time to put it aside for all concerned and crack on witrh the rest of the season,
a little more effort please West Ham
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 330 likes

Post by Major »

NE hammer wrote:Walked out after their 3rd went in, something I've never done before. Abysmal doesn't even begin to describe the utter bilge served up. I think The Old Mile End sums it up perfectly. Sadly I suspect it will be the usual spineless showing at OT as there was nothing yesterday to suggest otherwise.
And you only live round the corner!!! thats a bit Downton if you ask me mate..

I think its testament to the fans that went, that the comments on here have been much more measured, since they started filtering home. Apart from people that actually live in the North East!! must make you a bit cynical living with all those northerners.... I have just got home as i stayed with friends in Peterborough last night, and even that far up they are moody ****ers :eh:

Whoever summed it up with; we were at our worst and they were at their best; just about nailed it for me. We don't need to drastically change anything, we just need to play better and make sure that the whole team does not have an off day at the same time. which we will.