West Ham Utd 1-1 Queens Park Rangers (19/01/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Re: West Ham United v Queens Park Rangers - Match Thread

Post by Irrons »

Ok so now stats are no longer relevant because they don't suit your argument and you've resorted to abusive language....sigh.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

splott wrote:....................

The goal was a bit of a sucker punch.
I disagree, they had two carbon copy goes at it before they scored, where Remy was just offside.

Before the goal, our back line, the captain and the manager between them should have spotted they'd tried the same move twice in the first few minutes of the game and done something about it. You can't rely on a pacey player falling for the offside trap every time.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Same problem as all season, failing to convert chances. It's good that we're making them, but we need someone to stick it in the back of the net. When Nolan was doing it we were fine, but he's not scoring at the moment and our strikers aren't stepping up. Jarvis doesn't look like a player who will ever get more than the odd goal. Hopefully JC and RVT can step up, but either way we need to start being more clinical.

Equally frustrating was the way we pressed and pressurised them when we were chasing the game - throwing players forwards and leaving ourselves exposed to the counter - why didn't we do that in the week in a CUP game when we had nothing to lose?

Oh well, we'll play worse than that and win again this year, and if we keep up those kinds of performances at home we should get enough wins to be safe in plenty of time.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

sendô wrote:Same problem as all season, failing to convert chances. It's good that we're making them, but we need someone to stick it in the back of the net. When Nolan was doing it we were fine, but he's not scoring at the moment and our strikers aren't stepping up. Jarvis doesn't look like a player who will ever get more than the odd goal. Hopefully JC and RVT can step up, but either way we need to start being more clinical.
That's the point ...... although I don't share the general clamour to drop Nolan and play Cole in that position. Nolan is obviously going through a dry spell. It's not that unusual and happens to most top goalscorers at on time or another. Unfortunately, it also reminds us of just how reliant we are on him to score - I like Collison and RVT and Jarvis - however, given a choice between an open goal at ten feet and blazing over, they'll all take the row Z option more often than not.

The stats speak for themselves - Nolan sticks the ball in the next every 4/5 games, Joe Cole every 7/8, Jack and Jarvo every 9 games. RVT is the only exception, last season he scored every other game. However, that was pretty exceptional: he's never been that prolific before.

Our problem (besides conceding on the break) is lack of goals. I don't see any logic for wanting to drop the guy who is most likely to score one.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:
So you're blaming Nolan ?

It's Nolan's fault why we haven't got like for like points in our last 7 games as we did in the games previous, even though we've been decimated by injuries ?

The same Nolan who has scored more goals this season so far than Steven Gerrard, Stephen Pienaar and Clint Dempsey for example ?

Wow !!
What a scattergun approach to argue a point which was never made.. Wow indeed.

My point was "Nolan isnt scoring...that reflects our results ..what has Sam done to address that"
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

To be fair Irrons has a point, stats certainly aren't looking positive for Nolan at the moment. I can see what he brings to the team and it will be a big decision to drop him but sometimes needs must.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:How many goals has Gerrard scored from open play ?
To answer your question, five. Liverpool have only had one penalty this season
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Sam Allardyce's post-match presser, exclusively in full:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=126676" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
carugohammers

Post by carugohammers »

It does not seem fair to criticize Nolan has proven to be a great leader, perhaps its just a moment of poor physical condition. Yesterday take a goal for offside wrong, we played a bad first half. In the second part, built many scoring opportunities untapped, with the input of Carlton we were much more dangerous. good game of jarvis and joe cole
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

the pink palermo wrote:Sam has built his side around Nolan, to abandon him now would be a capitulation,
Not abandon. Rest. Carlton's much-improved immediate form since starting again in ACs absence was generally attributed to the man being rested, wasn't it? Seems reasonable enough. If Nolan's the keystone around which everything is built (which he is), isn't the best thing we could do for the guy - and as a consequence, for West Ham - is give him a breather, recharge the old batteries? At 30 he's hardly set for the knacker's yard yet, but he's not a fatigue-proof seventeen year-old either, full of spunk and onions. I see a lot of "Oh, NOLAN won't get f'n dropped, will he?" posts/tweets; maybe Nolan's getting on with it and doing as he's told to the best of his energy-sapped abilities in typical Captain fashion, but thinking, "****ting Crikey, why won't he take me off? He's trying to bloody kill me!"
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Not read through much of this thread but there were so many positives and they far outweigh the negatives from yesterday, We absolutely battered them, particularly second half.

On the down-side, Jussi's positioning gifted Remy the goal, Reid's decision making gifted Remy the opportunity, but he made up for that when they were 3 on 2 on the break and he bossed it, Nolan could sure do with a goal to get people off his back, not the first time we've conceded a goal from one of our own attacks when the opposition break.

Think we must have had our penalty quota for now as another good shout wasn't given on Chamack

I thought our full backs were excellent, both of them. Demel is some player when fit and JOB has proved so many wrong this year, myself included.

Jarvis had a cracking second half, set-up so many opportunities.

How much better are we with Noble in the middle ?

Joe Cole was very good and has a touch that no others possess at our club, stay fit and he will be vital for us in the run in.

Caesar was the only difference between a heavy defeat for QPR and the 1 1 draw. On another day that could have been 4/5-1 or more.
eastendborn

Post by eastendborn »

On Wednesday a piercing pass from man utd caught the defenders knapping with the offside trap, and QPR seemed to want to exploit that ( 3rd time lucky)-and ultimately did with their goal. Arsenal were pretty impressive against Chelsea in the second half today, with their slick movement in and around the box, and if we're not careful they will do the same. ( cutting a pass at the vital split second and beating the offside trap), as they are probably one of the best teams to employ this tactic. We're going to have to be right on the money in defence on Wednesday night.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=126677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Opposition view makes me laugh! Oversized forwards? Chamakh? are you having a bubble?

46 crosses is classed as long ball now... QPR calling us RIVALS? They had 1 shot on target and scored... we had 21 attempts...
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2940 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

the pink palermo wrote:Sam has built his side around Nolan, to abandon him now would be a capitulation,
last.caress wrote:Not abandon. Rest.
The context of my comment was a debate about whether to play Joe Cole in that role .Other posters were not advocating a rest , it was a seditious attempt to sneak the WHW back in .Not that I am saying that is a bad thing from my perspective but from Sams it would be a capitulation .
Plain fact is he has built his side around Nolan, now he's back on the scene a few / possibly many of our fans would rather he built the team around Cole .

That was this mornings debate , and it's a tough one for Sam to handle - the longer Nolans form is off , the greater the clarion calls will be for Joe to play "in the hole" ...."we need creativity" he's the "chingford Messi" etc etc .
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Billy Hunt wrote:
How much better are we with Noble in the middle ?
We are a much better side with Noble on the pitch. He'd be a lot harder to replace than Diame imo
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

not so long ago we would have lost that game.we made loads of chances to score and i for one am pleased about that albeit we didnt take some of them.the teams around us are £hit scared of us and are parking the bus reading exactly the same as qpr for me a good sign. two points dropped yes but one gained. we are gonna tank somebody soon the law of averages will prove this."KEEP THE FAITH BOYS" another point toward safety and stabilisation in the prem.bring on the gooners you never know. :crest:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Before the goal, our back line, the captain and the manager between them should have spotted they'd tried the same move twice in the first few minutes of the game and done something about it. You can't rely on a pacey player falling for the offside trap every time.
That's a point that was made on the radio commentary too. Indeed, the theory was that the high line was a deliberate tactic...which they were still employing for 10 minutes after Remy scored.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Regarding Nolan, I'm in the boat that wether he scores goals or not he is a valuable player to have in our starting 11. Sam has built a team around him and rightfully so. Nolan has added the character, leadership and goals from midfield we have required for years.

However, his overall game has been poor lately IMO. The little things he does so well usually (chasing lost causes, drawing fouls, good movement in the box) have been missing. Maybe a game or two as a sub might refresh and get him recharged for the rest of the season.

Thought Noble was quality yesterday. Jarvis had his best game for some time, both the Coles played well too and I thought Chamakh showed signs yesterday he could be a very handy loan signing that can easily fit into our system. Unlucky not to get the three points, some good saves from Cesar and last ditch defending from QPR making sure we only got the draw. Another point towards being comfortably safe which we shouldn't forget, roll on Arsenal and Fulham away.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

You've got to laugh at the Rangers fans bemoaning our tactics as long ball when they were defending 10 men behind the ball for most of the match and couldn't get our of their own half.