Arsenal 5-1 West Ham Utd (23/01/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

kthammer

Re: Arsenal v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by kthammer »

There are two ways for average teams like us to get anything at the Emirates. The Swansea way is to keep possession and pressure their back line. The Sunderland way is to disrupt the match, pack your defence, slow the pace of the game down and get lucky. Both approaches involve a pressing game where you don't let them play around your third like we did at the Boleyn.
I am intrigued by Sam's suggestion that he might change things around for this match - perhaps Diarra in somewhere?
Hammer83
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

Hambrosia Stu wrote:2 things we can do will give us a real chance

Get our defence set up right. Don't play a high line looking for the offside trap. Get Reid on Walcott early on, and make sure Diame knows his responsibilities, in terms of protecting his defence and tracking runners from midfield

And get stuck in to them. They don't like it up 'em....

I'd go:-
---------------Jussi
Demel-Tomkins-Reid-JOB
----------Noble-Diame
Collison---Nolan---J. Cole
------------Carlton

I notice you keep putting Collison in ahead of Jarvis I'm not sure why? Collison has been poor since he came back from injury he has no pace and no business being on the wing especially ahead of Jarvis.Now I said that jack still won't make my line up. :D

If you are going to place Jack I would play him in Nolan's role he needs a few games out to recharge.I would give Vaz tee the right wing spot,who like jack has been poor since his return but at least he has the pace to play out there.

I would like to see a front four of Vaz J Cole(Nolan's position) Jarvis with C Cole for this game with Jack coming on in the 2nd half.
Last edited by Hammer83 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baritalia

Post by baritalia »

Jarvis will start and whole team will be told to play as much as possible through him, he will have either Sagna who is playing the worst football of his career or Jenkinson who isn't much better. Even if they will double on him, the second man will be Mertesacker who is said to be slower than coastal erosion.
speculator
Location: I started out with nothing and I'm proud to say I've got most of it left.

Post by speculator »

Yes, it has to be Jarvis and J. Cole feeding it in high to C. Cole. I sense we could cause an upset here. Wenga must be ****ting his french panties.
griff123

Post by griff123 »

Aztec Hammer wrote:How much were the tickets for this one?
I got my tickets back in December & face value was £35.50, half surprised i haven't lost them as they have been in my wallet since then & i have had quite a few nights out on the piss since i put them in there! :wink:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

speculator wrote:Yes, it has to be Jarvis and J. Cole feeding it in high to C. Cole. I sense we could cause an upset here. Wenga must be ****ting his french panties.
What about at the other end of the pitch ? The ball and play is gonna go up there from time to time too
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2707 likes

Post by sendô »

Typical rubbish from my goon slag mates.

"We're **** we'll lose we're the worst team in the league" etc, same as after every game they lose.

If they beat us all I'll hear is how **** we are and how they're going to overhaul Spurs and finish 4th etc.

Muggiest fans in the country.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Hammer83 wrote:
I notice you keep putting Collison in ahead of Jarvis I'm not sure why? Collison has been poor since he came back from injury he has no pace and no business being on the wing especially ahead of Jarvis.Now I said that jack still won't make my line up. :D

I'm not sure you'll find many people who'll agree with you there
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 703 likes
Total likes: 1634 likes

Post by chalks »

speculator wrote:Yes, it has to be Jarvis and J. Cole feeding it in high to C. Cole. I sense we could cause an upset here. Wenga must be ****ting his french panties.

yeah he must be absolutely bricking it coming up against the team with the worst goals for record as an away team in the whole country. Last time we scored an away goal was in November.................
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

In an ideal world, I'd like to see 1 change, Nolan out Collison in.

But I think Sam will play:

3-5-2. I'd personally like to see Matty Taylor playing, thought he did a good job against Man Utd
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

I agree Collison has been poor. Mind you i'm not his biggest fan anyway. he has the odd good match but how many matches would you say he's been man of the match during his west ham career? a couple? and he's not consistant either.

personally i'd like to see:

jussi
demel, tomkins, reid,
diarra,
paulista, diame, noble, jarvis
j.Cole,
c.Cole

subs: Spiegel, Vaz Te, Collison, Spence, Nolan, o'brien, Taylor
Last edited by kitthehammer on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjustincredible
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by mjustincredible »

according to the arsenal forums, tickets are still on general sale for this. looks like either they are making a stand against the ridiculously expensive ticket prices or their fans are staying away when the going gets tough, probably a bit of both.

So if your desperate for a ticket, you can sit with them, can't say i would ever sit with the home fans when we are playing away myself though.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

mjustincredible wrote:according to the arsenal forums, tickets are still on general sale for this. looks like either they are making a stand against the ridiculously expensive ticket prices or their fans are staying away when the going gets tough, probably a bit of both.

So if your desperate for a ticket, you can sit with them, can't say i would ever sit with the home fans when we are playing away myself though.
They start at about £53 mind + fees
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

mjustincredible wrote:according to the arsenal forums, tickets are still on general sale for this. looks like either they are making a stand against the ridiculously expensive ticket prices or their fans are staying away when the going gets tough, probably a bit of both.

Last time I did that it was the Newcastle game under Avram, one of the worse nights of my life.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Re: Arsenal Match Thread

Post by Billydinho »

Yea Why Not wrote: I personally don't mind Jussi and think he gets a lot of unnecessary stick. But that's just me. I had more of a problem with Green if I’m honest
But why?

Jussi is poor, he's not a goalkeeper; he's the kid they gave the oversized shirt to and told him to go in goal.
baritalia

Post by baritalia »

We've got 2 other goalkeepers - Spiegel who is said to be Swiss best GK product in years and Henderson who is said to be decent, at least.

Why did we loan one out and not even play the 2nd one in the cup game?

Jussi is adequate at least; take a look at Newcastle away game.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 175 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Bobby, I hope you are right about us doing well when you start match threads! I can't say I'm overly looking forward to this match, the padded seat at half time is about one of the few positives I can see.

Still I remember having these feelings about this time 7 years ago. Then on Tuesday 31st January 2006 we went to play our last game at Highbury, and walked out with a 3-2 win.

COME ON YOU IRONS!

ps does my ticket for the first game work with this game, or should I have received a new one?
twobobsam

Post by twobobsam »

I'm ever optimistic about this one too, I reckon

Jussi
Demel - Tomkins - Reid - Joey
Noble - Diame
J.Cole - Nolan - Jarvis
Cole

We've got to sharpen up at the back though, if Remy had picked up on the offside rule quicker the other day - we would of been caught out a few times. Any bit of pace against a high line and we're ****ed.

If we keep pumping the ball in the box through Jarvis, like in the second half against QPR something has got to drop at some point, it's been said but I fancy us against a shakey arsenal back 4.
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

Don't know if Sam really means it when he says he will rotate, but it could mean Collison or Diarra in? We're not playing the following weekend so no need to rest anyone.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

Home banker......an away goal though would be nice.