Arsenal 5-1 West Ham Utd (23/01/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

shammy

Re: Arsenal v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by shammy »

I didnt laugh once.
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Major »

Now the beer has worn off I wonder if you will stick by those comments?

Clearly you dont seem that bothered by getting beaten 5-1 by our london rivals and have a total disregard for the fans that are pi$$ed off by the performance.

All this $hit about "get over it" and "whining girls"..........your bordering on saying Its only a game.

Glad you "had a laugh" though.

Course i do, apart from the headache...

Dyers has summed it up above, by the way the reality is "its only a game" a very important one, but it is a sport (or at least should be); all this post match analysis is b*llocks if you ask me, sack him or drop him or tactics were wrong blah blah just emphasises that some see it as a business or a money machine where winning or buying players is everything.

I have always preferred the fan part of West Ham than the football part, its that simple and if you think about it; it is the only common sense answer for supporting us, We really are not that good!!

Truth is we got beaten by a team that are much better than us. Like it of not Arsenal were ****ing outstanding just after the 2nd half, Jimmy Saville obviously got them properly up for it at half time.

It happens, i have seen it over and over again, all it does it make it more special when we pull of one of our miracle results like our 1st game at the Emirates and the last at the Library.

Speculator

It doesn't make me a No1 fan, just makes me a typical fan that goes away, not sure its a hobby though? more a way of life and thats why i dont get to uptight about loosing.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2013 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Dyer's Leg wrote:
I thought that was the point of following West Ham? Having a laugh, having a knees up on the train after a 7-1 tonking at Blackburn, having a laugh and a good old sing when 4-0 down in an FA Cup semi-final. I could list a bucket load of games where we have played **** and got mullered, and it's still been a smashing day out.

I'm glad he had a laugh too. It means some people still don't take the football too seriously. Once a season minimum we get a stuffing like that.

I'm just surprised it took until almost the end of Jan for it to happen this season. A result like this has been on the cards for a while.
Perspective is, aside from Jussi, the other 10 players were all with us in The Championship.

We used to brush the dust off, and pick our self up after a defeat like this, but now it's sack the manager this, sack the manager that, this player is a ****, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Last night was no different to how we have always been. It's never going to change.
Really?

I think we've defended pretty well this season other than the odd individual error. Certainly didnt think this was on the cards at all.

BTW it can be a laugh following West Ham........but I cant find much to laugh about from last night.
Ashtonthelegend

Post by Ashtonthelegend »

eggy, did you go last night?

One thing that annoys me about everyone that watches the streams is they don't seem to understand what our away day following is like.

Shame about the results, but last night was a bloody good craic. "5-1 and you still can;t sing" And it just carries on my view that Arsenal fans are the muggiest fans in the country
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Dyers is spot on here guys.

This is what Big Sam said and he is spot on as well

The manager said: "Unfortunately for us there was 10 minutes of brilliance from Arsenal that we couldn't compete with and that 10 minutes of brilliance brought four very good goals and that was the game done and dusted.

"After that for us it was really about making sure we didn't concede any more than that."

Allardyce added: "Those 10 minutes they blew us out of the water and you have to hold your hands up - they were brilliant.

"It's one of those things when you come here. You hope you can play your very best but when Arsenal are on their best form it's very difficult to get a result."
JBs Caravan

Post by JBs Caravan »

It must be enjoyable paying £35.50 to have a laugh,watching senior pros going through the motions
collecting their rewards,and throwing in the towel for 30 mins,whens the next gig ?
SxHammer
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 69 likes

Post by SxHammer »

In 1976 we got stuffed 6-1 by Arsenal, and we finished 18th (just outside relegation). John Lyall had been manager for 18 months. I wonder what these forums, had they been around, would have made of that?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Post by -DL- »

SxHammer wrote:In 1976 we got stuffed 6-1 by Arsenal, and we finished 18th (just outside relegation). John Lyall had been manager for 18 months. I wonder what these forums, had they been around, would have made of that?
Poor bloke would have been caned. And 1980 wouldn't have happened as he would have been long gone.

Odd thing is, last night was, on paper, a slightly stronger team that lost by one goal at Old Trafford a week before. It's a funny old game..
shammy

Post by shammy »

JBs Caravan wrote:It must be enjoyable paying £35.50 to have a laugh,watching senior pros going through the motions
collecting their rewards,and throwing in the towel for 30 mins,whens the next gig ?

Exactly. I tend to go to football to watch the team play against other teams not to enhance my already full social life.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Joey was very good, saved us so many times
Demel kept bombing forward and then was slow to get back
Nolan was useless
Collison at least puts lots of effort in and got a goal
Vaz Te isn't good enough for this level, either end of the pitch, he is a Championship player
Poldolski even first half was ruining Demel, he was dragging him into the midfield then spinning him and create space down the right for others
Our Free kicks need to be better, right before half time big chance to steal a goal and it was crap, against this big teams our set pieces need to be spot on.
We needed more pace, power and strength in the middle ala Diame, to chase and nip at the Arsenal players heels and not let them settle.
Carlton Cole to be fair to him, gave it a good old go up top, against four defenders, no one really with him
It made no difference but the foul the ref gave in the first half was a joke, I think it was taylor down the left got fouled on the byline in our half but managed to play it forward, Cole got the ball and was basically through but on the wing and the ref gave the foul, not the advantage, was an absolute mental choice as Cole was in a great position.
As much as we capitulated, Arsenal stepped up and Giroux and Poldolski showed why they are German and French internationals
Last edited by fmgod on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

First half we stuck in, with a few scary moments and competed well. Second half was a lapse in concentration for their second, it was really poor defending and then the floodgates opened. I think most teams would have struggled with that frightening 10 minutes, it was quite frankly world class.

Hopefully it does not have an effect on team morale, but we will need a performance at Fulham next week.
HornchruchHammer

Post by HornchruchHammer »

Although im used to watching west ham get stuffed and did say myself i thought we would lose 7-1, deep inside i hoped i was wrong and the boys could do us proud. Well i was embarrassed about the defending in the second half but really Fulham is the game we need to win.

Maybe we guilty of expecting more.

Vaz Te for me has morphed into Piquionne Mark II - loses the ball and throws his hands up in the air, lazy and doesn't really offer us much. Stick in the U-21's!! :x
nzhammer

Post by nzhammer »

SxHammer wrote:In 1976 we got stuffed 6-1 by Arsenal, and we finished 18th (just outside relegation). John Lyall had been manager for 18 months. I wonder what these forums, had they been around, would have made of that?
I was at that game in '76 , the difference being west ham played open football on the day, against a strong Arsenal midfield, and got taken apart but we tried to play football , tonight we didnt play football . that 10 minute after half time summed us up, hoofers against class , sorry to say that but true., while we have the likes of Nolan , Vaz Te , Taylor , C Cole dont expect to play any where near what Arsenal can achieve when on song. :cry:
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

The Gibbins wrote:First half we stuck in, with a few scary moments and competed well.
See I thought that in the first half as well, if they had took their chances the first half would of seen us a few goals down as well, we rode our luck a bit first half and in the second half they finished the chances they missed in the first, was more clinical.
acrimony
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by acrimony »

For me a lot of the frustration is down to how we conceded 4 goals in 8 minutes. That is awful.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

acrimony wrote:For me a lot of the frustration is down to how we conceded 4 goals in 8 minutes. That is awful.
Our experienced players should of at least tried disrupting the game, slow it down a bit, foot on the ball, go down injured. Just break the momentum, the problem was last night as soon as we was chasing the game was in trouble.
rudeboydubs

Post by rudeboydubs »

thought we had a good 1st half ....couldnt complain really 1-1....... no subs after the break ruined us thats about it ..ill use the same phrase alot of people use "second half was just a bad day office" lets keep our heads up
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

For me a lot of the frustration is hitting balls to a big man up front and then waiting half an hour for the midfield to catch up. Frankly, it's boring. I don't really care about the results but boredom's another matter.

Mind you, lucky we didn't play Joey in the hole - we might have got thrashed.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

JBs Caravan wrote:It must be enjoyable paying £35.50 to have a laugh,watching senior pros going through the motions
Do you know what though, as others are saying on here it was still enjoyable, perverse as that may sound to you.

Fans have always had to take the rough with the smooth with West Ham. It's always been that way and probably always will. That's not defeatist by the way, it's just an understanding of our first century and a bit as a club. There's plenty on here who understand that, but there also seems to be many who will never get it if they live to be 500.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2013 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Ashtonthelegend wrote:eggy, did you go last night?

One thing that annoys me about everyone that watches the streams is they don't seem to understand what our away day following is like.

Shame about the results, but last night was a bloody good craic. "5-1 and you still can;t sing" And it just carries on my view that Arsenal fans are the muggiest fans in the country
Yes i was there, and thats what hurts even more. As for out-singing le'arse.........hardly a triumph is it?