Arsenal 5-1 West Ham Utd (23/01/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Re: Arsenal v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by irving boleyn »

"Dont miss tomorrow exciting episode"
speculator
Location: I started out with nothing and I'm proud to say I've got most of it left.

Post by speculator »

This is a cliffhanger thread.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Puff Daddy wrote:Alright, that defeat last night has not proved too damaging in terms of our league position, but my concern is our form and where it is heading
You have a point. We've played now 4 teams twice this season (disregarding the cups).

We improved our result against Norwich - i.e. draw followed by victory - but for each other team, there's been a downturn in fortunes:

1. Beat QPR, followed by draw
2. Draw with Sunderland, followed by 3-0 reverse, and
3. Lose to Arsenal due to two late goals, followed by a thrashing where you'd be tempted to wonder whether the foot came off the gas after the 5th had gone in.

A more direct point, regarding recent games is that, on the one hand, Diame started in the cup replay that one school of thought saw as a match too far for a limited squad, but was on the bench in a league match where some energy and fight in midfield was a total must.

I appreciate that there's some kind of background with Diame and his release clause etc, but it was still unusual to see him and Diarra available, but only as substitutes.
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

hudds town hammer wrote:well the team at man u and now this one tells me that fat sam hasnt any confidance in some of his players.

ANY team is beatable just look at bradford,

what do you think the players think when he plays them in these games ? I bet they think hes expecting us to lose,,,,,,,,,,
But surely another way of looking at that is that our back up players should still have a chance of getting a result if limited teams like Bradford can, as long as they are well-organised, well-drilled and competitive. Our best 11 are still unlikely to get anything, so why not protect players who are returning or carrying knocks? (or possibly in dispute with the club and not fully focused).

I think we coped well with them 1st half and you could have imagined us hanging on or even nicking another, but we just lost all our organisation all of a sudden and then fell apart. I can imagine that happening even with our best 11 out there, though.

The killer seemed to be their 2nd goal, which was a carbon copy of the one Stoke scored against us from a short corner and I don't think that it had much to do with the quality of the team we put out as I don't think Jarvis or Joe Cole would have been much help with defending from that corner. In fact, it was Tomkins, who would have been in anyone's first 11, who lost his man.

Then, we just seemed to get caught out going gung-ho to try to get back in the game straight away. I don't really see that a stronger team would have been in a better position before that second goal.
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

I too was sat in the Gooners.
****ing Hell I don't know what to say......Never will I subject myself to that potential pain ever again!
I felt ok at half time. Apart from witnessing people around me with blankets over their legs and flasks of...whatever. There was even a mother with a baby no more than 6 months old there......I was ****ing freezing so why was that poor kid out there???

To be honest I held my dignity throughout (although I have no tongue left through biting it) so as to be respectful, but I need not have feared. Never have I seen or witnessed such a collection of mugginess in my life following football.

It was football but not I we knew it. I know we moan about the atmosphere of the Boleyn nowadays, but I am grateful for what we have still. We still hear passion, banter, wonderful off the cuff comments that would not be out of place in a stand ups routine. HUMOUR...we have humour...I didn't hear one single witty comment from the goons all evening. I didn't see anyone laugh. I didn't see that wild elation that you get when we score a fifth goal (rarely).

I sat there looking over at our own in the corner...How I wished I could feel the comfort of our own, numbing the pain with boistrous defiance.

Well done our travelling stallwarts.

I won't comment on the game or the tactics, already done by others......(although we are used to these shennanigans)

Get well soon Danny Potts. I had a lot of time for your father (he was shat on too, aren't we all :lol: )
If you have half the career he had with us you will have done well. I think you just might do!

COYI
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Robbie wrote:
It was football but not I we knew it. I know we moan about the atmosphere of the Boleyn nowadays, but I am grateful for what we have still. We still hear passion, banter, wonderful off the cuff comments that would not be out of place in a stand ups routine. HUMOUR...we have humour...I didn't hear one single witty comment from the goons all evening. I didn't see anyone laugh. I didn't see that wild elation that you get when we score a fifth goal (rarely).

COYI
I cant help thinking we will end up this way if we move to the OS.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

WHU Independent wrote:I was there in the gooner end tonight ( got free tickets) and I am so wound up ( and not because of the game or the result) with what happened inside the ground with some of their so called fans, that I seriously can't write about it now. Even though I got home safe and have had a few drinks at home, I can't begin to post what happened. I am so angry and was a gnats hair away from throwing a suicidal wobbly in their end you would not believe.

Lucky for me - and some gooner and non gooner mates - not all gooner supporters are scum.

I am having a few more drinks to calm down. I will probably post under a separate post tomorrow.

I am too seething angry tbh!
Spill the beans mate. The suspense is killing me!......
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

If I had to guess I'd imagine some of their idiot followers were less than complimentary to young Pottsy whilst he was laying prone on the pitch?
ShanghaiHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by ShanghaiHammer »

Someone nabbed the last prawn sandwich?
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

Ive calmed down a bit now; actually i was never really pissed off about the performance, more the realisation that we've been mugged off, again, by our club. I thought we were moving the club upwards and onwards, but seeing the collection of old favourites going through the motions, groan. To be fair, if we HAD scored a second goal before half time, things might have been different however looking at their goals again, jesus, when did we start teaching players to remain static & only run in straight lines.,

The "one-up-top" formation is the most serious impediment to our remaining away games- we've proven, beyond doubt that it doesnt work and that if the oppo score first we have practically no chance of ever getting back in the match.

Lots of people may say that " oh this is typical west ham- you see us go and win against fulham next week" just like they did after the manu match- of course we didnt...the poor souls who have been to sunderland, man u and arsenal in a week have seen us muster a couple of chances ( and i mean a couple) and one goal. Simply not good enough...

Anyways, my final contribution to the night was , I think my best...in response/retort to the boring " Arrrrsenaaaal..." song I came up with " Wiiiiiiin f*** all......Wiiiiiiiin f*** all ..." went down well amongst my co- attendees....lets hope it catches on and we can all sing it next time out... :crest:
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Robbie wrote:I too was sat in the Gooners.
****ing Hell I don't know what to say......Never will I subject myself to that potential pain ever again!
I felt ok at half time. Apart from witnessing people around me with blankets over their legs and flasks of...whatever. There was even a mother with a baby no more than 6 months old there......I was ****ing freezing so why was that poor kid out there???

To be honest I held my dignity throughout (although I have no tongue left through biting it) so as to be respectful, but I need not have feared. Never have I seen or witnessed such a collection of mugginess in my life following football.

I sat there looking over at our own in the corner...How I wished I could feel the comfort of our own, numbing the pain with boistrous defiance.

Well done our travelling stallwarts.
This - It was bloody hard first half!!

I turned to my son when they were 5-1 up and said you would think they were losing. f*** me there's more character and animation in Madame Tussauds than at the Emirates. The bloke next to me fell asleep 20 minutes into the first half, apparently he does it every game
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

One thing that really annoyed me was Vaz Te getting booked for kicking the ball away, no problem with that but if your going to book him for it then you have to do it every other time since that, we he didn't both sides kicked the ball away, nothing give, how can you give Vaz Te a yellow for it then not punish any other player for the same offence, does my head in!
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Robbie wrote: We still hear passion, banter, wonderful off the cuff comments that would not be out of place in a stand ups routine. HUMOUR...we have humour...I didn't hear one single witty comment from the goons all evening. I didn't see anyone laugh. I didn't see that wild elation that you get when we score a fifth goal (rarely).
The Arsenal crowd is strange, my brother-in-law is diagonally opposite the away fans and he chose to be there because it is where the best atmosphere is. I've been to a few games with him, including all our previous games at the Emirates and a few at Highbury. There are a few old school guys in there having a laugh but most of them are an odd crowd to me, and quite a few of them are season ticket holders so it is not as though they have the excuse of being a tourist. Even the more normal ones didn't have the elation we can have on scoring, but I guess they have been spoilt over the years. As you say, if there is anyone coming out with witty comments they are muttering them to their mates not shouting like our lot do. We do seem to have our fair share of lone nutters happy to try and start singing as well, they don't have any range of songs that I have heard.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Hampshire Hammer wrote:Even the more normal ones didn't have the elation we can have on scoring, but I guess they have been spoilt over the years.
The mugs expect to win every game, and when they don't it's the end of the world. Wenger needs to be sacked, everyone is against them, they need to blow their budget buying all the world's best players, they'll probably end up getting relegated etc. Then they win next week and they're talking about winning the champions league.

They put Spurs fans to shame.
one mcavennie

Post by one mcavennie »

If we move to th new stadium it'll be similar - unless we have a atmosphere stand/area. Somewhere where everyone who likes a good singalong can go

In fact actually we'll need this
Dover KUMB fan
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by Dover KUMB fan »

The whole 'experience' of going to Arsenal games no longer rocks my boat really. I went reguarly in the 80's at Highbury, & stood on the old North bank when it was a laugh, & we got behind the team. I have only been to the Emirates once, & I can honestly see why everyone slags the atmosphere off. Its a once every couple of years day out for me now, & I follow the Arsenal from afar these days. Non league football has been my passion for the last 13 years or so. Real football with real fans & TERRACES!!!! Happy days!
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

one mcavennie wrote:If we move to th new stadium it'll be similar - unless we have a atmosphere stand/area. Somewhere where everyone who likes a good singalong can go

Only problem is you wouldn't be able to call it the Atmosphere stand, because I can't see people rushing to buy tickets in the No Atmosphere section :wink:

Better still the distribution could be done on fighting.

"I'd like a ticket for the next home game please"

"Certainly sir, fighting or non fighting?"

"Errrrr, non fighting please"

"I'm sorry sir all the non fighting tickets have gone, you're fight is ten minutes into the second half with Skull Crusher Watson, a twenty seven stone builder from Gidea Park"
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

one mcavennie wrote:If we move to th new stadium it'll be similar - unless we have a atmosphere stand/area. Somewhere where everyone who likes a good singalong can go

I must admit I cringed a little bit when singing "Your grounds too big for you" to Arsenal and a negative thought about the O/S crossed my mind. Depending on how the allocation of seats is managed, and the way the stands are marketed, the move to the O/S might be the way the club can achieve this. Actively market certain sections as "singing", others as "Non singing" (but we need to find a better name). They can't advertise that the singing sections are places where standing will be more tolerated but maybe there will be tolerance.
The Boleyn Hound

Post by The Boleyn Hound »

I've been with the home fans at the Emirates plenty of times, as well as at Highbury (always free tickets I'll hasten to add!).

I don't think the strange atmosphere is due to the size of their stadium, so any fears that we would "turn into" this when we move to the OS I think are unfounded.

It's all about their mindset as fans.

They EXPECT far too much - they are absolutely unbelievable.

I've seen them leaving the stadium having won 3-0, being extremely pissed off that they didn't win more because they felt they could have done. Sure, you *could* have done, but you didn't ...so just enjoy the big win! Don't leave angry!

They never got over the Invincibles season...they simply cannot accept that they are not by far and away the best team in the league. It's sad.
Dover KUMB fan
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by Dover KUMB fan »

A mate of mine is a Chelski fan, & he says the same as me. " It was more fun when we had terracing & the team was a bit s**t. It is right about what you said about a lot of gooners. We dont have a god given right to win everything, & win 5-0 every week. If that was the case, how boring would football be?