Arsenal 5-1 West Ham Utd (23/01/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

the wren
Location: Alpari Upper, complete with view of Barking-Upon-Thames

Re: Arsenal Match Thread

Post by the wren »

I don't think i'll bother with a matchday scarf for this one. The claret doesnt really sit well with bright red. Too much of a clash.
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

After our last three away performances (maybe 4, although we did get a point at WBA), I really can't see anything but a thumping loss. We'll let in the, now traditional, early goal and then get sucked out of position for the rest of a depressing match. Corlzola has been struggling of late, here's where he turns it all around.

3-0 loss :(
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Play a high line and players like Walcott will tear us a new one...can see Joe Cole being our pivot for this - midfield supremacy wins the game and I reckon if we can match them 1st half, we will hurt them in the 2nd.

An optimistic 1-2 :crest:
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

Gerblatz wrote:
An optimistic 1-2 :crest:
Do you promise you havent had a drink??
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

I think Sam might go back to the 3-5-2 in this one with the 3 centrebacks defending deep to stop the pace of Walcott threatening us as much as it might. They still struggle against physicality, and Joe Cole, Vaz Te and Jarvis will have to play well if we get anything here.

Tomkins Diarra Reid
Demel Diame Cole Noble O'Brien
Cole Nolan
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Another team with J Cole in the middle ...........it's going to end in tears lads .
Chelmo Hammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Chelmo Hammer »

If we want to get anything from this game then we need to somehow not concede inside the first 20 minutes, which we seem to be doing every single week at the moment. We couldn't recover from this away to Sunderland, Swansea, Wigan or even Reading, so there is no chance we will at Arsenal.

If we can manage to keep them out for a sustained period in the first half, then feel our way into the game then, given the current unrest there, we have a chance of getting something. I think it is a big if though, as I think we are almost certainly going to concede early and be out of the game before it really starts.
Gerblatz

Post by Gerblatz »

the pink palermo wrote:Another team with J Cole in the middle ...........it's going to end in tears lads .
Think he'll be far more effective in the 'Nolan' role...but it's not going to happen unless Allardyce starts to think Nolan needs a rest. We play better when the shackles are off.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

the pink palermo wrote:Another team with J Cole in the middle ...........it's going to end in tears lads .
It's not because thankfully the Manager has more nous than the average football fan, thankfully.
speculator
Location: I started out with nothing and I'm proud to say I've got most of it left.

Post by speculator »

the wren wrote:Need to knock in 40 odd crosses. Were bound to score.
Like! :D
Gerblatz

Post by Gerblatz »

AlfieG wrote:Do you promise you havent had a drink??
Call it a hunch, but I think our manager's superior tactical approach and nous will be too much for Wenger to handle...this time.
baritalia

Post by baritalia »

Arsenal injury list: Oxlade-Chamberlain, Podolski, Rosicky, Fabianski, Arteta.

Szczesny should have been sent off today against Chelsea.

West Ham United injury list: Collins, McCartney, (Chamakh not eligible).

Andy Carroll will return to the squad.

Sagna's form is dreadful, Jenkinson's isn't much better, I fancy Jarvis to have a blinder.

I honestly think we can get something from this game.
Hammer Harley

Post by Hammer Harley »

We will win or draw. Its gauranteed. I've got Arsenal as the last pick in a five leg multi. Wouldnt usually go against us but after last weeks disappointment against Sunderland i thought we'd be dead certs for the loss.
speculator
Location: I started out with nothing and I'm proud to say I've got most of it left.

Post by speculator »

One thing I noticed today is that both attacking and defending Arsenal are not very good in the air. In addition to the weather conditions this could be one game where we go long ball it into their box. Walcott will have to be watched closely too. There you go Sam there's my tip!
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Can't see us getting anything here I'm afraid. They absolutely dominated us at the Boleyn

Just hope we don't get ripped apart by the pace too often. They always seem to play well against us too - the Zamora year apart
Hammer83
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

I predict we will not score just like in our previous away games.I reckon we will not even reach 5 attempts on target.I predict Walcott will score he is a excellent player now that he sometimes gets himself through the middle leading to one on ones which equals goals for him. 3-0 Arsenal and plenty of moaning about our away tactics to follow the game. :D
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

hammer1975 wrote:Can't see us getting anything here I'm afraid. They absolutely dominated us at the Boleyn

Just hope we don't get ripped apart by the pace too often. They always seem to play well against us too - the Zamora year apart
Don't remember being 'absolutely dominated', in fact we looked the team to score next at 1 - 2.

Let's bully Walcott et al and hope for a sly 0 - 1 victory
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

They looked pretty good second half against Chelsea yesterday. That said Im going for a cheeky point....

COYI!
:crest:
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Wing backs with Chamakh and Cole up top please Mr Allardyce?!

I expect us to line up fairly defensive and Jarvis or Cole won't quite cut it as wing backs so I would like to see O'Brien and Taylor given a go with a back three of Demel Ried and Tomkins.

Diame, Noble and Joe Cole all deserve to keep their place.

Carlton Cole and Chamakh up top together.

We would have Jarvis, Nolan, Vaz Te, Collison, Diarra and Potts on the bench to give us ample options if we needed to change things around. Why the hell not give it a go?? Our away form is terrible and we need a fresh approach. This game is almost a shot to nothing and we have a nice big break after it so any result would be a bonus.

------------------------ Jussi ----------------------
------------ Demel Ried Tomkins -----------
O'Brien ---------------------------------- Taylor
------------------ Noble Diame ----------------
----------------------- Cole -----------------------
--------------- Cole Chamakh -----------------
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Scrap all of that!
Just realised Chamakh can't play... DOH!