Arsenal 5-1 West Ham Utd (23/01/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Re: Arsenal Match Thread

Post by Yea Why Not »

mushy wrote:
Walcott one one one with Jussi.
Even worse.
To be fair, Walcott one on one with anyone usually seems to end in the same results. He's one of the best finishers around imo
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Trevor Montana wrote:Playing 5-3-2 against arsenal would be a death wish...
I fail to see how our home game against them (lost 3-1) or any other recent away game (not scored for x amount of hours) can be held up as a success??

It is all well and good saying, if only we had took our chances... that is the exact problem I am trying to counter without losing our defensive strength at the same time. We are not taking our chances with just one up top and we need to change it.

We will play with a middle three no matter what against Arsenal. We simply have to as they are so strong in this area. The rest of the team is open to change.

I am not sure when what formation would have been comfortable against Man Utd at Old Trafford but I think the general opinion was that we gave a very good account of ourselves. We could of course play the same system, lose 3-1 again and not learn anything.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Trevor Montana wrote:If you play 5-3-2 (and it will be 5-3-2) we'll get torn to shreds every time sagna or gibbs overlap.
Surely 5 defenders have less of a chance of being torn apart than four when Arsenal break??
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

Yea Why Not wrote: To be fair, Walcott one on one with anyone usually seems to end in the same results. He's one of the best finishers around imo
It was more a comment on Jussi's keeping then Walcott's finishing but I know what you mean.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

I think they will be vulnerable in defence so if we can nick a goal and defend well a point is definitely possible.
They took a long while to wake up against Chelsea and do not like to be hurried so if we are off and at them from the off we should ruffle them.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

mushy wrote:
It was more a comment on Jussi's keeping then Walcott's finishing but I know what you mean.
I personally don't mind Jussi and think he gets a lot of unnecessary stick. But that's just me. I had more of a problem with Green if I’m honest
Willtelll

Post by Willtelll »

Trevor Montana wrote:
If it's suicidal than how come it worked well at UP? Our tactical edge is that we'll do them down the flanks given that their full backs don't actually like defending. If you play 5-3-2 (and it will be 5-3-2) we'll get torn to shreds every time sagna or gibbs overlap.
We played 3-5-2 in the cup against Man Utd and went back to 4-5-1 against QPR so I don't get your point!

I've coached 3-5-2 and it has its good and bad points but I agree, it works best against 4-4-2. I would not let it be a 5-3-2 as I'd push our FBs or WBs up against Arsenal's two wing backs so they are marked instead of being able to collect the ball and run at us.

We'd then be man for man against their strikers, midfield and CBs. And I'd leave Nolan out the midfield playing Noble, Diame and Joey Cole with Jarvis and Cole up front....

Of course BFS will want an extra defender so, we'll play a conventional back four rather than a second striker and I predict that Reid and Tomkins will get turned or outpaced at some stage and we will lose after a gallant rearguard action....
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: Arsenal v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Puff Daddy »

If we are to win this one, we will have to score at least 3 goals, because I think we will conceed at least 2. 3-2 anyone ?
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Im hoping to get a ticket for this last minute from a mate. This is my fixture!! Winning this would be endless banter with the other half of my family who are mostly Arsenal. I hate this lot!

I fear we will be on the end of a Arsenal backlash after 2 league defeats however.

Hopefully we keep it tight and frustrate them for an hour, their fans will start getting pissed off by then and crank the pressure up!
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

hard fought 1-1 i think - would rip your hand off now for a point.

theo and reid with the goals.
aitchayell
Total likes: 1 like

Post by aitchayell »

Why not change the tactics and formation? It is not as if 4-5-1 has been spectacularly effective away from home and 3-5-2 against Manchester United was reasonably containing. O'Brien and Demel can overlap, Noble and Diame stay close to Wilshere and Corzorla and Joe Cole can tuck in behind the front two of Cole and Nolan. Worth a try.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

aitchayell wrote:O'Brien and Demel can overlap

Would prob need Demel as third centre back while Ginge is out but totally agree with all of that.
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

In Big Sam we trust! He'll know what to do 8-)
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

How much were the tickets for this one?
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

2 things we can do will give us a real chance

Get our defence set up right. Don't play a high line looking for the offside trap. Get Reid on Walcott early on, and make sure Diame knows his responsibilities, in terms of protecting his defence and tracking runners from midfield

And get stuck in to them. They don't like it up 'em....

I'd go:-
---------------Jussi
Demel-Tomkins-Reid-JOB
----------Noble-Diame
Collison---Nolan---J. Cole
------------Carlton
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Lose 2 or 3 nil, got a horrible feeling about this one, we're so impotent away from home right now, me masturbate rather than penetrate
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Yea Why Not wrote:
To be fair, Walcott one on one with anyone usually seems to end in the same results. He's one of the best finishers around imo
shows how stupid arsenal fans are.. know a couple of "sensible" ones and even they wrote off walcott as a striker .. said he cant finish etc etc

from day one ive said he should be played through the middle like henry was. cracking talent

hope he has an off game weds
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Hambrosia Stu wrote:2 things we can do will give us a real chance

Get our defence set up right. Don't play a high line looking for the offside trap. Get Reid on Walcott early on, and make sure Diame knows his responsibilities, in terms of protecting his defence and tracking runners from midfield

And get stuck in to them. They don't like it up 'em....

I'd go:-
---------------Jussi
Demel-Tomkins-Reid-JOB
----------Noble-Diame
Collison---Nolan---J. Cole
------------Carlton
No pace in that team. Jarvis was excellent against QPR and his pace will be crucial in attempting to protect JOB against Walcott.

Given Nolan's drab performance against QPR, and how clear it is that he needs a rest. I would stick J Cole through the middle behind Carlton, Jarvis off the left.

I agree that Collison's industry will be good from one of the flanks.
buckshammers

Post by buckshammers »

Would be happy with a draw. Would start Cole as don't think Chamakh is eligible to play. Rather than sit back and try and attack them as their defence is quite frankly sh*te of late. Hopefully Jarvis will give them a good run around. Jussi-Demel-Reid-Tomka-Joey-J.Cole-Noble-Nolan-Collison-Jarvis-C.Cole.
splott

Post by splott »

Too much class for us to overcome I'm afraid although a draw would be a great result. But Theo against our back 4 is just a recipe for disaster I reckon.
Still COYI at least give it a crack !!.