Arsenal 5-1 West Ham Utd (23/01/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Re: Arsenal v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Doc H Ball »

Up the Junction wrote: Meanwhile, we fielded a team virtually on par with our Championship sides last season.
Of the 14 players we fielded tonight, we only paid a fee I think for 4 - Reid 4m, Cole 2m, Vaz .5m, Nolan undisclosed. That's about 6.5m!

Must be one of the cheapest teams to ever play in the PL.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 754 likes
Total likes: 3480 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

nickkarkie wrote:Anybody who thinks not being a top player means you shouldnt work your bollox off should have watched gary jones for bradford on tuesday night, never stopped closing down all night.
Likewise Nick, working your b*llocks off doesn't make you a top player. Harry Redknapp, for once, was right - you need talent too.
hudds town hammer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by hudds town hammer »

Any Old Iron wrote:The trouble with Allardyce...
best post iv read on this game ,,,, after my own of course
Last edited by Up the Junction on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
nickkarkie
Has liked: 65 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

I agree utj but as redknapp has obviously chosen players like mackie, derry and hill over lazy but talented players like cisse and bosingwa says quite clearly that you can not pick up points if you lack desire but you can if you lack top level talent.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

aaronhammer wrote:
Forgetting the above, and the result, I was proud to be a West Ham fan, I find when you get a battering, you really get a great spirit and togetherness in the crowd.
Ipswich away last season was the same mate, got turned over good and proper but we still took the piss in the stands.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

ageing hammer wrote:Shocking second half, Vaz Te should be left rot in reserves has become Johnny big b*llocks.
After their 4th Reid had a right go at him and he slouched off as per ****ing normal, so Reid held out his arms and shouted '****ing try!' It was right in front of me and the Gooners thought it was hilarious. I'd off the prick.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

kevino wrote:I witnessed one of them. 3 or 4 of our "supporters" started racially abusing Carlton and when one of our guys in front turned round to defend him, he promptly got decked. Fortunately I think they were nicked, If you few brave boys who were guilty of this are reading this why don't you get a life and stay away.
Seriously? Jesus Christ. I saw that but didnt know what had happened.

There were a few tools there this evening.

Slightly worrying performance in the second half. Vaz Te is struggling, it's obvious.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 754 likes
Total likes: 3480 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

baritalia wrote:twitter report: Arsene Wenger in the press conference: "We won't sign Momo Diame."
Not quite the same:
Ian Abrahams ‏@BroadcastMoose
Arsene Wenger effectively told me Arsenal won't be signing Mo Diame
ShanghaiHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by ShanghaiHammer »

I said we would lose 4-0. Was anyone closer?
westhamgardner
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by westhamgardner »

Am I the only person that thinks that our support in general looks way too far into Allardyce's psyche and supposed mind games with the chairman? In my opinion we got beaten by a much better team who are regulars in the champions league and have two or three of the leagues best players. We are newly promoted and have a very thin squad which is showing at the moment. Calling out Sam feels like an excuse at the moment when we dont win when realistically I dont think we were horrible yesterday apart from that ten minutes. Im sure someone will point out that we were not great either and yes that is also a fair analysis but if we were great week in week out we would be a lot higher up the table and as it is we are doing pretty well for a newly promoted team.

Would be great if some people woke up and realised that as much as we might not like it West Ham are a very average team and apart from one or two odd successful seasons we always have been. The thing is we love the club all the same. If you cant take being well beaten by a better team go support a Manchester team. Enjoy the highs and expect the lows. This result isnt as bad as some as you lot are making out
speculator
Location: I started out with nothing and I'm proud to say I've got most of it left.

Post by speculator »

Funnily enough thats exactly what most of us that went, did. Most had a right laugh

Its what we have been doing since the year dot when we get turned over and its what most of us will continue to do. Seems to me that all you stream hunters are the moaning bastards about all the fans that spend all the money. When most of the fans that spend the money still had a laugh and just deal with it!!

we are average and they played very ****ing well for 10 minutes. Other than that we matched them.

get over it[/quote]

Mate just because you went to the game doesn't make you West Ham's number one fan. If you expect defeat why not take up a new hobby?
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

No big deal,didnt expect nothing,got nothing.
sarge

Post by sarge »

Maybe theres a reason for that team, maybe he said to JC, MD,MJ,etc, watch, see where we are not breaking teams down, see how we are defending too high, theres only so much can be done on the training ground,sometimes you have to ripped a new one to get the point across, and Arsenal most certainly ripped us a new one.
ChikinRun
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by ChikinRun »

Diogenes wrote:Weakened team, really? So the players are not to blame?

The team was full of experienced professionals who should have performed much better than they did. After the last few days I believe the Manager was quite right not to start Diame and Diarra, I would have done the same. I imagine JC was rested after some tough games for him after a long lay off and replaced by a more definsive minded Taylor and Vaz Te in for Jarvis who many on these forums have been calling for. Vaz Te apart, for the first 45 minutes it worked. IMHO Vaz Te was dreadful for the full 70 minutes he was on. Carlton had one of his poorest performances I have seen from him and had nothing to do with not being supported and everything to do with not holding onto the ball and not passing it to one of his own players. Once again effort 100%, effectiveness 25%.

I also believe our biggest loss currently is Collins. Reid also looks lost without him. No blame at all from me on Jussi and I thought O'Brien was our best defender, but massively exposed by Vaz Te's disinterest. Demel also had a poor evening. I'm sorry, but I also thought Tomkins again looked way out of his depth. Some good interceptions, but also some awful lapses as usual.

Given all of that, lets not forget that Arsenal are a Champions League side (not us) and the second goal was crucial and you could see their confidence rise and ours drop. Lets also keep things in perspective, we looked tonight what we are - a recently promoted Championship side in transition.
Good post....
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Post by -DL- »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:Not sure why there isn't one so there is now and we generally do alright when i start them.

I'd stick to your stats mate if I was you. :lol:
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

I don't understand the fuss about the team. A few players had knocks. Only 3 positions could be improved really and one of those that wouldn't have started scored. Hardly put a reserve team out.
ishtar

Post by ishtar »

I thought for the first 45 mins and the last 35 mins(22 with 10 men)we held them well enough at the back.
Tomkins got court out with Gerouds run for there second and then it seemed that no one knew what to do for a few mins after, defenders pushing to far forward and midfielders not getting back.Diarra coming on seemed to settle us down but when Pots went off we were limited when coming out of defence.

I never thought we would get anything from the game but its a shame that 10 mins of madness will make the 90 mins look very lopsided.
HarrowInnHammer

Post by HarrowInnHammer »

For me it's the manner of how we play away from home.
If love us to go out there and have a go, stick 2 up top, not sit back and let the other team dominate.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Major wrote:

Funnily enough thats exactly what most of us that went, did. Most had a right laugh

Its what we have been doing since the year dot when we get turned over and its what most of us will continue to do. Seems to me that all you stream hunters are the moaning bastards about all the fans that spend all the money. When most of the fans that spend the money still had a laugh and just deal with it!!

we are average and they played very ****ing well for 10 minutes. Other than that we matched them.

get over it
Now the beer has worn off I wonder if you will stick by those comments?

Clearly you dont seem that bothered by getting beaten 5-1 by our london rivals and have a total disregard for the fans that are pi$$ed off by the performance.

All this $hit about "get over it" and "whining girls"..........your bordering on saying Its only a game.

Glad you "had a laugh" though. :thdn:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Post by -DL- »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Glad you "had a laugh" though. :thdn:
I thought that was the point of following West Ham? Having a laugh, having a knees up on the train after a 7-1 tonking at Blackburn, having a laugh and a good old sing when 4-0 down in an FA Cup semi-final. I could list a bucket load of games where we have played **** and got mullered, and it's still been a smashing day out.

I'm glad he had a laugh too. It means some people still don't take the football too seriously. Once a season minimum we get a stuffing like that.

I'm just surprised it took until almost the end of Jan for it to happen this season. A result like this has been on the cards for a while.

Perspective is, aside from Jussi, the other 10 players were all with us in The Championship.

We used to brush the dust off, and pick our self up after a defeat like this, but now it's sack the manager this, sack the manager that, this player is a ****, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Last night was no different to how we have always been. It's never going to change.