West Ham Utd 4-2 Reading (19/05/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Re: West Ham v That small club in Berkshire match thread.

Post by Iron George »

kevino wrote:Need to start practising a song for our Berkshire friends on Sunday....."you'll never play here again....." , repeat, repeat
Rather

"We'll never play you again ............."
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

Hambrosia Stu wrote:
Well, yes, I'd happily see Potts & Spence on the bench, and as Spence can also play in the centre, that would be enough defensive options imo.

But are they as good as Pogz? Sure, he's been shyte on the few occassions he's featured, but Sam is the one watching them in training, and if he picks Pogz for the bench, I'm sure it's not so he can be mean to our youngsters, but because he thinks it's the best option to win the match....

In fairness, I do agree regarding Pogz. I can't see what there is to gain (except the 3 points...) by picking him for the bench. I'd say Spence or Potts deserve that place more. I was arguing more against Hall or Morrison, as I don't see how they would have earned a place on the bench ahead of say Collison, Vaz Te or J. Cole (the players they would be competing against)

I don't really know if Potts or Spence are better or worse than Pog. But they are young home grown players and there is some advantage in them gaining some experience. There is no advantage in giving Pog any experience as we all know he's crap and he'll be on his way next week.

In fact I'd be inclined to play them both in the full back positions, resting Demel and O'Brien (we know about them already). If either or both do well, then that's good positive info for Sam. Ditto if one or both of them gets roasted. Can't see what we have to lose, really
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

libero wrote:I don't really know if Potts or Spence are better or worse than Pog. But they are young home grown players and there is some advantage in them gaining some experience. There is no advantage in giving Pog any experience as we all know he's crap and he'll be on his way next week.

In fact I'd be inclined to play them both in the full back positions, resting Demel and O'Brien (we know about them already). If either or both do well, then that's good positive info for Sam. Ditto if one or both of them gets roasted. Can't see what we have to lose, really
What we have to lose, is about £1m per league position.

It's not about giving Pog, or anyone else, some experience. I imagine, in Sam's mind, it will be about winning the 3 points that guarantee us a 10th place finish.

Say he plays Potts & Spence, and they make mistakes that cause us to lose the game, and say drop down to 13th place. That's the best part of £3m we'd have lost...

I'm playing devil's advocate to some degree, as I'd love to see Potts & Spence break into the first team. But I'm sure when Sam picks his squad, it will be all about getting the win, and not about giving youngsters a bit of experience
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by djclipz »

^^^ this, it has to be like this, unfortunate but because the league is just too close and really the extra money is massive! Also we still have to shift 6mill to the **** team in sheffield. So it will help with that :x

whoever does play though they better perform better than the last 2 games, i want to end a good year with a good performance! I hate when the end of the season comes around!
Last edited by djclipz on Tue May 14, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
libero

Post by libero »

Hambrosia Stu

Yes I think that's a very solid argument you make there, and I have to admit I often forget that league positions are worth a sack of cash.

That said, Pog has looked so very dreadful every time he's played, that I find it hard to believe either Potts or Spence could be worse. And if they are, then we shouldn't be wasting our time with them. I'd put out this team:

Jussi
Demel Collins Reid Potts
Diame Noble
Joe Cole Nolan Jarvis
Carroll

Subs: Henderson, Spence, O'Brien, Collison, Vaz Te, Morrison, Carlton Cole

I don't think that team/squad is more likely to lose against Reading than the team Sam will end up putting out
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

However, we don't necessarily need 3 points to guarantee 10th, we probably only need 1. The only combination where 1 isn't enough is if Stoke win by 2 clear goals at Southampton and/or Norwich win by 8 or Barcodes win by 12, and I don't think any of those are very likely.

I'd like to see some of the lads on the subs bench at least. I can see why he wants Pog there, as he can play (badly) at both full back and centre back. I'd like to see Rob Hall get a run out - partly to give him some league experience, partly because Reading have a pretty crap defence and he might have some joy against them.

In a perfect world, now that there's been a bit of a rapprochement with the club, I'd also like to see Bonzo make a surprise cameo for the last couple of minutes .... purely so he could kick Kebe over the stand :twisted:
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

If we're not using this game to bring in some of our youth players then which game are we going to bring them in?

Could be the death of the Academy of Football. :thdn:
Willtelll

Post by Willtelll »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:If we're not using this game to bring in some of our youth players then which game are we going to bring them in?

Could be the death of the Academy of Football. :thdn:
Since Tomkins and Noble there hasn't been enough Premiership standard talent coming through. Giving chances to players the manager has decided aren't going to be good enough is just plain daft when so much rides on each game.

A few years ago I saw Stanislas play on loan for Southend in the cup against Chelsea. He stood out that day and I thought we had a winner. Now he can't even hold down a place at Burnley....
LincolnshireHammer

Willtelll wrote:A few years ago I saw Stanislas play on loan for Southend in the cup against Chelsea. He stood out that day and I thought we had a winner. Now he can't even hold down a place at Burnley....
Same with Zavon Hines. Some regarded him on here during our recent relegation season as our 'saviour'.

Same with Junior now, Zavon can't even hold a place down at Bradford.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

To be fair to both Stanislas and Hines they both played in the majority of games for their teams this season
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by djclipz »

Hines was good until he had his knee injury.. what made him dangerous was his pace, he lost a yard or 2 after the injury, that killed his chances at a high level.. and to be honest you could get by with just that!

I never agreed with the stanislas love in, he had to ability to hit a sweet ball for about 1 in 5.. and he always cut inside and went nowhere. used to drive me mad...

In an ideal world, we have a couple on the bench and we get off to a blinder leaving sam the option to give em a run out! It's the getting off to a blinder part which is the problem! :arry:
LincolnshireHammer

Hammers80 wrote:To be fair to both Stanislas and Hines they both played in the majority of games for their teams this season
Hines - 32 games (2 goals)
Stanislas- 35 games (5 goals)

Not good enough given their rep.
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

No Kebe in the squad tonight.Injured.
irongav
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by irongav »

The last game of this season cannot be as exciting as the end of last season! That said i still want to win it and go out on a high, we managed to beat wigan which I was beginning to think would not happen again, so I am hoping we can beat reading. it will be interesting to see if smugkins can bounce them back up to the prem in 1 season!
clawhammer
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by clawhammer »

w6hammer wrote:No Kebe in the squad tonight.Injured.
Nothing trivial I hope.
TomoIrons

Post by TomoIrons »

50 quid with a mate that West ham finish above Stoke at the beginning of the season... Don't you dare f*** about Sam!!!!
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Post by sanchoz »

Sounds like Reading fans boycotted last nights game as well
ATW

Post by ATW »

sanchoz wrote:Sounds like Reading fans boycotted last nights game as well
City didn't bring a very good following last night either, understandable given it was straight after the cup final and the £42 ticket cost! There were probably around a 1000 or so in the away end.
OldHarlow

Post by OldHarlow »

Should rename Title to

West Ham v That small Berks club match thread.....

Inflatable fans that's what they need

A nice hammering to repay the drubbing we got thanks 8-0 will do 8-)
Roby
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 264 likes

Post by Roby »

Hopefully we can beat these smug arseholes.

No need to go overboard on playing the kids, the 3 pts are valuable as finishing 10th would be a great statement in our first season back.

Jussi
Demel Collins Reid O'Brien
Noble
Vaz Te Diame J Cole
Nolan
Carroll

I wouldn't start with O'Neil as I don't think he should be kept on so better to give another start to Noble.

Will be nice to give Carlton 20 mins at the end as a send off, I think he'll be released too.

Give Potts 10 mins to replace Joey at left back and hopefully Robert Hall will get a little cameo towards the 80 minute mark.