Newcastle Utd 0-0 West Ham Utd (24/08/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ricardo

Newcastle Utd 0-0 West Ham Utd (24/08/13)

Post by Ricardo »

Newcastle United Football Club
Nickname The Magpies
Founded 9 December 1892
Ground St James' Park (capacity: 52,404)
Owner Mike Ashley
Manager Alan Pardew
2012–13 Premier League, 16th

Away fans are housed on the very far side of the Sir John Hall Stand, in the top tier. Up to 3,000 supporters can be accommodated in this section for league games and a larger allocation is available for cup games. Be warned though that it is a climb of 14 flights of stairs up to the away section and that you are situated quite far away from the pitch. So if you are scared of heights or have poor eye sight then this may not be for you. On the plus side you do get a wonderful view of the whole stadium, plus the Newcastle skyline and countryside in the distance.

Also the leg room and height between rows are some the best that I have come across and the facilities on offer are pretty good. The concourse is spacious and there is a fair selection of pies on offer including the Chicken Balti Pie, plus the usual burgers and hot dogs, all served in Newcastle United branded packaging (which made me wonder if their sales were affected when playing Sunderland!).

There are also televisions on the concourse, showing live the game being played, with separate refreshment areas which serve alcohol, again in Newcastle United branded plastic glasses.

Jeremy Gold a visiting Leyton Orient supporter adds; 'The visitors section is on level seven at the top of the stand. The view is a long way from the pitch, although it is still good. If you suffer from vertigo, don't go! The stewarding at the game I went to was fairly strict. However people were being warned against gesturing before they were thrown out. Unfortunately some people didn't take the hint and about five or six made the long trip back down the fourteen flights of stairs!'

The atmosphere in St James' Park can be electric and it is certainly one of the best footballing stadiums in the country. I personally found the Geordies friendly and helpful and a trip to Newcastle can be one of the better away trips in the Premier League.

Transfers:

Newcastle:

Olivier Kemen - Metz
Loic Remy - Queens Park Rangers (season-long loan)

West Ham:

Stewart Downing - Liverpool

Story So Far:

West Ham 2 - 0 Cardiff

Joe Cole and Kevin Nolan scored in each half as West Ham United enjoyed a comfortable win over Premier League new boys Cardiff City at Upton Park.
The Bluebirds did not manage a shot on target in their first appearance in the top flight since 1962.
Cole and Nolan showed the Welsh side what finishing is all about at this level with two masterful strikes.

Nicky Maynard missed Cardiff's best chance late on, when he skewed his shot over from six yards out.
The absence of new £7.5m Danish striker Andreas Cornelius through injury might explain Cardiff's lack of cutting edge but, despite a summer of heavy investment - £9.5m Chile midfielder Gary Medel and £8m England defender Steven Caulker both made their debuts - they still found the step up from the Championship a tough one.
The Hammers were without their own star striker Andy Carroll, who was missing with a heel problem, but it was another Liverpool old boy, Cole, who stole the limelight with his superb early strike.

Newcastle are yet to kick off their Premier League Campaign, their first match will be away to Manchester City on Monday night.

Pre-Season:

16 July 2013 Motherwell 2 – 4 Newcastle United
20 July 2013 Rio Ave 3 – 1 Newcastle United
23 July 2013 Paços de Ferreira 1 – 1 Newcastle United
28 July 2013 Blackpool 0 – 1 Newcastle United
30 July 2013 St. Mirren 0 – 2 Newcastle United
6 August 2013 Rangers 1 – 1 Newcastle United
10 August 2013 Newcastle United 1 – 1 Sporting Braga

Last Time Out:

Newcastle United 0 - 1 West Ham United
11-11-12

Kevin Nolan's first-half goal against his former club proved enough to see off a lacklustre Newcastle and propel West Ham into the top six.
Nolan ghosted in at the far post to turn in Joey O'Brien's mis-hit shot.

Newcastle were denied an equaliser when the officials ruled that goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen had prevented Demba Ba's header from crossing the line.

Former Magpie Andy Carroll could have given West Ham breathing space but Tim Krul pulled off a fine one-handed save.
The home side's performance was so lacking in precision or passion that a 2-0 scoreline would hardly have flattered the upwardly mobile Hammers.
And the result will bring immense satisfaction to West Ham boss Sam Allardyce, who last week described his sacking by the Magpies after 24 games in 2008 as one of the lowest points in his career.
In their first season back in the Premier League, the Hammers were comfortable victors - despite losing three players to injury - and, in the tireless Nolan, had comfortably the best player on the pitch.

Directions:

At the end of the A1(M) continue on the A1 and then the A184 towards Newcastle. Continue along this road, bearing left onto the A189. Continue over the River Tyne on the Redheugh Bridge, from which the ground can be clearly seen. Carry on straight up the dual carriageway (St James Boulevard). This leads directly to the Gallowgate end of the ground. As the ground is so central there are a number of pay and display car parks in the vicinity.

Jason Adderley a visiting West Brom fan adds; 'An easier way into the City is to stay on the A1 until the exit for Westerhope. Leave the A1 go straight over two roundabouts and then follow the signs for the Royal Victoria Infirmary (Queen Victoria Road) - parking here is in a multi storey and allows a reasonably quick getaway after the game'.

Newcastle Central Railway Station is half a mile from the ground and takes 10-15 minutes to walk.

Thanks to Dave Lawson for providing the directions;
'Come out of the station, across the two zebra crossings and then head up the pedestrianised Pink Lane. Then cross Westgate Road at the top. Then up pedestrianised Bath Lane with the old city walls on your right. Turn right on to Stowell Street (Chinatown). At the end of Stowell Street bear left up St Andrews Street by Rosie’s Bar, under the ornate Chinese arch. Then left up Gallowgate. St James is on your right'.

Andrew Saffrey adds; 'If you're feeling lazy, you can get buses 36, 36B, 71, 87 or 88 from Berwick Street (across the road from station), up to the ground. The fare should be about 50p'. Whilst Claire Stewart informs me; 'You can also get the metro from inside the train station up to the ground, which has its own "St. James' Park" stop.

Go on the metro from the railway station to Monument Metro Station where you need to change trains to go to St James' Park. You can also walk up to the ground from Monument Station. It's pretty easy to find, and if you do happen to get lost, then just follow the black and white crowd!

Where To Drink?

The ground is one of the few remaining in the country that is literally right in the centre of the city. You are only a few minutes walk from the main shopping areas of Newcastle. There are plenty of bars to choose from in the city centre, but most away fans tend to favour the pubs opposite and around Newcastle Railway Station. The 'A Head Of Steam' 'The Lounge' and 'O'Neills' are all recommended, but some of these bars will only admit fans if colours are covered and none of them admitted children. Also nearby is a Wetherspoons outlet called the Union Rooms. Alternatively there is Idols which has strippers and is popular with both home and away fans.

On my last visit I went to the Bodega on Westgate Road and had no problems. This pub is listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide and had a friendly atmosphere. Closer to the ground (and just around the corner from China Town which is good for a cheap lunch) is the Newcastle Arms on St Andrews Street. This pub is also in the Good Beer Guide, but unless you arrive very early and have no colours you are unlikely to gain entrance. Just down the road is 'The Backpage' book shop, which is an oasis of football books, DVD's, programmes and memorabilia. Alcohol is also served within the ground.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/newcastle_united/

Tickets:

Initial Allocation = 2,000 tickets (possibly rising to 3,200)

Standard Ticket Information
£27 Adults, £22 Over-65s/Students with valid ID & £13 Under-18s

Disabled Ticket Information
8 Wheelchair Bays = £27 + Carer Complimentary
5 Ambulant seats = £27 + Carer Complimentary

Programme:

To Follow

RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Re: Newcastle United v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Has anyone found any cheapish trains up for this?

Want to go but been a **** of a month money wise!
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Also another quality match thread Ricardo :thup:
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

:thup:

Cheapest I can see is £140 day return, otherwise I'd be going as well.
North East Iron

Post by North East Iron »

I will be at this one going with the lads from work sat in the home end :oops: i expect to see some of our rabble for pre and post beers. I would expect us to have a decent result here.
The toon seem to be in a self inflicted crises at the moment very low on confidence
COYI 1 - 3
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Ricardo wrote:
Cheapest I can see is £140 day return, otherwise I'd be going as well.
Same :( its probably cheaper to fly!
Aycliffe

Post by Aycliffe »

North East Iron wrote:I will be at this one going with the lads from work sat in the home end :oops: i expect to see some of our rabble for pre and post beers. I would expect us to have a decent result here.
The toon seem to be in a self inflicted crises at the moment very low on confidence
COYI 1 - 3
I live up here also mate and me and my boys went in with the home lot when we drew 2 – 2 up here a few seasons ago. Had no bother but we sat on our hands when both our goals went in which was bloody hard work especially when Carlton got a cracker.
No we will be with our away support belting out bubbles and I can’t wait!
Aycliffe

Post by Aycliffe »

Take it you boys don’t fancy coming up on the coach?
west ham15

Post by west ham15 »

12 hours there and back on a coach no thanks!!
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Flights £166
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

I fancy 3 points here.. :thup:
west ham15

Post by west ham15 »

Romford wrote:Flights £166
Maybe not then....
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

:thup: Riccardo. Fantastic work!

I'd be more than happy with a draw from this one.
Am I the only one on here who thinks Newcastle are a great club with great fans?

The whole Kinnear/Pardew thing is a bit ****ing weird, mind.
North East Iron

Post by North East Iron »

AnthraxDave wrote::thup: Riccardo. Fantastic work!

I'd be more than happy with a draw from this one.
Am I the only one on here who thinks Newcastle are a great club with great fans?

The whole Kinnear/Pardew thing is a bit ****ing weird, mind.
Yes :lol:
Number9
Has liked: 138 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Number9 »

Well someone up there likes us.

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-auctions/draft-auction/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 516 likes
Total likes: 1311 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I'd happily take a point from this one but it is certainly winnable. Remy is out and they're hardly banging in the goals preseason. Go at them. I do think we can come away with a win by the odd goal. Maiga to get on the score sheet.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

I hope they get stuffed at Citeh on Monday night...put them under pressure for this game which is very winnable. A repeat of last season and a win by the odd goal would be just fine. :)
TheHammeredDog

Post by TheHammeredDog »

Phil Dowd appointed referee.
daniel

Post by daniel »

TheHammeredDog wrote:Phil Dowd appointed referee.
Oh sh*t.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 516 likes
Total likes: 1311 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Can't be any worse than Webb was on Saturday to be fair.