Newcastle Utd 0-0 West Ham Utd (24/08/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Re: Newcastle United v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Geordie Hammer »

Not had a chance to catch up with the game, read reports much or read through the thread in detail.

A bit disappointed we didn't get the win but I'll always feel like that against Toon. A point away from home is ok especially as its another clean sheet.

Mag friends who were at the game have been telling me Newcastle were the better team and dominated the entire game. I saw snippets on the BBC yesterday that suggested they were dreadful
rubbishweekend

Post by rubbishweekend »

We'll have to sell someone (due to £52m FFP cap) if these clean sheets continue.

Also, next time someone of Big Sam, Gold, Sullivan, Brady mention the £52m figure I'll ****ing lose it. More annoying than listening to Dave Wheelan before that FA final kick off how he broke his leg once.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1086 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

2 games in and despite 4 points including a notoriously difficult away point and people already have the knives out.

Nolan isn't undroppable, no player is... but Sam plays him every week for a reason and part of that reason is why we have 4 points in 2 games. He doesn't get the credit he deserves but that's ok because Sam is in charge of the team and he makes the correct decisions that others on here wouldn't because quite frankly the majority of us are clueless.

2 clean sheets is a magnificent start. The way we are defending is brilliant and it doesn't even look like we are going to let a goal in.

Yesterday wasn't perfect and ball retention was particularly sloppy at times but with a big more luck we would have won.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Long day out yesterday which stopped me posting from here.

First of all, good to meet a few Hammers from Stirling and then a bigger contingent in Edinburgh which included one guy who goes to every home and away. That's dedication for you.

Thought it was a good point, few loose passes here and there but overall quite happy.
ishtar

Post by ishtar »

To state the obvious, the game is all about goals.We dont score enough but at the moment our defence has been solid enough not to let any in.Yesterday we had 4 good chances but only got 1 on target Maiga & Nolan should have worked the keeper with there headed chances and Reid was an inch away with his lunge from giving us the lead.I think with Carroll in the side yesterday we would have won the game but that only shows the need for another striker.All in all a good start to the season and with a shaky Stoke side visiting next week we will hopefully see that extended to 3 games 7 points and 0 goals against.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Two games in, four points, no goals against and a draw against the toon away from home, and people are whining, f*** me we've come a hell of a long way in three years!
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

Ozza wrote:Two games in, four points, no goals against and a draw against the toon away from home, and people are whining, **** me we've come a hell of a long way in three years!
:thup:
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

frankiemac wrote:Just because Newcastle got smashed in their opening game against man city, doesn't mean we should walk all over them
I don't think that was the only reason - they scraped survival last season, were missing their best striker and best playmaker and had three other first teamers out (Guiterriez, Taylor, Tiote). It was getting another injury or so from what you'd call a 'B' team.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

westlondonhammer wrote:2 games in and despite 4 points including a notoriously difficult away point and people already have the knives out.

Nolan isn't undroppable, no player is... but Sam plays him every week for a reason and part of that reason is why we have 4 points in 2 games. He doesn't get the credit he deserves but that's ok because Sam is in charge of the team and he makes the correct decisions that others on here wouldn't because quite frankly the majority of us are clueless.
Precisely. Most teams have players who are not undroppable just the players a manager depends on. Captain and top goalscorer seems a pretty decent reason to me. When I tell my mates who support other clubs that Nolan's value to the team is highly debated here they
cannot believe it. Their reaction is always what a great buy he has been for us.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Surely one of the problems we have with a stronger squad is keeping everybody involved and happy. We can only pick six players outside the defence. We have a very good selection of players and someone has to miss out. I want to see Morrison. I want to see Jarvis and Downing together. I want to see Cole and Nolan. Then there's Diame and Noble has to play too.Then there is a striker to fit in as well. We can genuinely rotate players now so I'll leave it to Sam. I think he has a bit more of an idea than I do.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I love these discussions!

I have blown hot and cold about Nolan,probably depending on the last game.... I am presently pro,because his all round game has not been better than the last two games...I was very anti,when he was undroppable, or even un subabble but very fat, during our first few months in the Championship..

I dont see any difference between his performances home and away.....just to comment on the 8 to 2 scoring ratio..our total goals were 34 to 11, so there's no real disproportion there. Down to Sam to tinker with the tactics.

I think if Nolan had a better partner alongside him taking on the creative role all would be right with the world,as it is we have two attacking midfielders without any passing attributes. This effects the service to the wingers and striker and our overall effectiveness.

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

frankiemac wrote:Just because Newcastle got smashed in their opening game against man city, doesn't mean we should walk all over them

They would have been massively keen to ensure hey don't start the season with 2 losses

I think a point at their gaff is a great result. 2 clean sheets on the bounce too...got to be happy with that
No Frankie, I think you're calling it wrong .

Newcastle were beyond dreadful in the first half yesterday .They were there absolutely for the taking .

Two points dropped for sure : not a major drama, but other sides in our mini league will go there and get three points .
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Watched Match of the Day with Pardew "West Ham played their normal long ball" Prick! Take a look at your own team and their style! which consisted of Krul hoofing the ball up front every chance he could.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

We have got to be completely happy with a point away from home, some real good performances, but it brings home how Magia is a pure luxury player that a club like ours can not afford! We need that out and out striker, that will put the ball home in the goal, and give real competition to Carroll.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Yesterday just showed the difference between a club like ours and a top 6 club.

If we have our main central attacker injured, we don't have a player that can really do the most important thing in a football match for that player, convert and create his own chances.

We can't afford to have a player that can do that undoubtedly whereas the top 6 can and do.

We aren't alone where that's concerned.

Good point, great defensive performance and Noble MOTM.
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 398 likes
Total likes: 226 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Saw the highlights and was pleased with the clean sheet thought we looked tight as a team with good team spirit ie everyone who lost the ball busted a gut to retrieve it we have a genuine threat now on both wings
..........Pardew is a vain deluded bell end always has been always will be......living on borrowed time
Roby
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 264 likes

Post by Roby »

chappo59 wrote:..........Pardew is a vain deluded bell end always has been always will be......living on borrowed time
Yep, I doubt he'll be there past Christmas.

He was a good manager for us but a bit too smarmy and fake, he'll most likely be gone within a few months.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Pardew is a bit of a knob end. Like has been said he is living off of borrowed time at Newcastle and will say anything/look for excuses to try and ease his situation.

Sure someone like BO will have the stats for the game yesterday/last season to prove that Newcastle love a hoof as well.
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

Long season =

Good start
Joe Cole will play alot of games
So will Nolan
Sam will try not overplay players avoiding unnecessary injuries

QED
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »