COC2: West Ham Utd 2-1 Cheltenham Town (27/08/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3496 likes

COC2: West Ham Utd 2-1 Cheltenham Town (27/08/13)

Post by Up the Junction »

Full name Cheltenham Town Football Club
Nickname The Robins
Founded 1887
Ground Whaddon Road
- Capacity 7,066
Chairman Paul Baker
Manager Mark Yates
League League Two
2012–13 League Two, 5th

http://www.ctfc.com/news/article/west-h ... 7BTt2Ro.99

An update on tickets, travel and helpful information from Gloucestershire Police.

Cheltenham Town travel to the Boleyn Ground to take on West Ham in the Capital One Cup second round on Tuesday.

1,349 Cheltenham Town tickets have been sold in advance of the game and 14 travel club coaches will be making the journey. Advanced ticket sales have now ceased and official coach travel is now sold out. Turnstiles will be open on the evening of the game at the Boleyn Ground.

The game is set to be another memorable fixture for the Robins who, in recent seasons, have faced both Tottenham and Everton in cup competition. Mark Yates has been handed a boost this week with the confirmation that on loan striker Steven Gillespie is eligible to play in this Capital One Cup fixture as well as the upcoming Johnstone's Paint Trophy clash versus Plymouth Argyle.

This will be the first competitive fixture between both sides as Cheltenham Town aim to upset the odds at the Boleyn Ground and knock their Premier League opponents out of the cup. Both sides have met in three pre-season matches however. The first was in 1947 in which we lost 5-0 at home. We then played a West Ham XI in 1948 and won 4-1 at home and there was another win in 1952 with a scoreline of 2-1

Gloucestershire Police have also been in touch and provided us with information that we feel is important for travelling fans to read ahead of Tuesday's big game.

Cars
The local area is very busy, traffic wise, and to avoid the congestion around the ground, supporters are advised to park some distance away and walk to the stadium. There is no parking for private vehicles at the ground. Parking for private vehicles around the ground and in the local area is fairly limited with almost no off-road parking available. The local area is very residential with on street parking at a premium. There are also a number of ‘resident parking only’ schemes in the local area. Illegally parked vehicles will be towed away and please don’t leave any items of value visible in your vehicle.

Trains
Train travel will be very difficult as the last train from Paddington departs at 10.15pm and it will take at least 45 minutes by tube from the Boleyn Ground.

Tube
If you do go by train, be aware that West Ham tube station is nowhere near the football ground. The nearest tube station is Upton Park, which is on the District, plus the Hammersmith & City Lines.
The station is a short walk from the ground. Upton Park station gets very busy post match and supporters should consider using alternative stations if possible.

Coach/Minibus
A large number of fans may be planning to travel by coach and are probably travelling with the Official Travel Club. If, however, you are planning to hire your own coach or minibus for this fixture please can you make contact with Mark Smith at Gloucestershire Police as soon as possible using mark.a.smith@gloucestershire.police.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

There is specific legislation governing how football coaches operate. Additionally there are a number of local authority and police requirements for coach operators travelling to West Ham that you and you vehicle operator will need to be aware of.

Match Officials:

GRAHAM SCOTT
Daniel Cook and Dan Robathan
Fourth Official Tim Robinson

Form:

Newcastle 0 - 0 West Ham

Newcastle picked up their first Premier League point this season with a goalless draw against West Ham.
West Ham's Winston Reid went close to scoring an own goal in the first half before twice just failing to get a touch to set-pieces at the other end.

Hatem Ben Arfa was the home side's main threat with several efforts from long range, while Joe Cole shot just inches over the bar for the visitors. Yoan Gouffran wasted a fine chance for Newcastle late on from close range.

While West Ham created the better chances throughout, Gouffran's missed opportunity deep into time added on was the closest the game came to a goal.
It means that West Ham boss Sam Allardyce left Tyneside unbeaten for the third time since being sacked by Newcastle in 2008. The Hammers have picked up four points from their opening two games, following a 2-0 opening-day win over Cardiff.

Accrington 0 - 1 Cheltenham

Jason Taylor grabbed the only goal as Cheltenham claimed their first win of the season with victory at bottom-of-the-table Accrington.
Taylor's deciding effort came when he met Jason Richards' free-kick eight yards out and the ball deflected home.
Kal Naismith and Lawrie Wilson came closest to an equaliser for the hosts but the Robins held on for the points.
The win was Town's third in four visits to Accrington, who ended the game with 10 men after Wilson went off injured.

Previous:

The Hammers have never met Cheltenham Town in a competitive fixture.

League Cup:

2012-2013

R2 28 August 2012 West Ham United 2 – 0 Crewe Alexandra
R3 25 September 2012 West Ham United 1 – 4 Wigan Athletic

R1 11 August 2012 Cheltenham Town 1-1 (aet) Milton Keynes Dons (3-5 p)

2013-2014

R1 06th August 2013 Cheltenham Town 4-3 Crawley Town

Programme:

To Follow

Coledinho

Re: West Ham Utd v Cheltenham Town: match thread

Post by Coledinho »

Time to make some big ass changes. Id like to see

Adrian
O'Brien Tomkins Reid Rat
Morrison Diarra
J.Cole Collison Downing
Vaz Te

Jussi, Spence, Collins, Diame, Taylor, Jarvis, Maiga
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

20 - nil
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Coledinho wrote:Time to make some big ass changes. Id like to see

Adrian
O'Brien Tomkins Reid Rat
Morrison Diarra
J.Cole Collison Downing
Vaz Te
Not a bad side that. However, I would consider starting Maiga for this one as a goal would be good for confidence. It will be interesting to see who Sam does and doesn't play given it is the last week of the window.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Really don't want this to be another Aldershot, but agree we should make a few changes.

Adrian
O'Brien Tomkins Reid Rat
Noble Morrison
J.Cole Nolan Downing
Vaz Te

Any win of any size will do me
Iron Spine v2.0
Location: You don't wanna go and eat a snack like that! You'll end up with your teeth all grey,

Post by Iron Spine v2.0 »

I was hoping my leg wasn't going to be the size of a redwood by the time this game rolled around as it might be the only one I can afford for a while. Nevermind! :lol:

Would really like us to have a go at the cups this season but wouldn't be surprised to see wholesale changes.
bspur1

Post by bspur1 »

We can make wholesale changes and put out a side that should wipe the floor with Cheltenham

Rat
Diarra
Cole
Adrian
Collision
Tomkins
Vaz te
Morrision

are 8 who didnt start yesterday and if any of them can't handle Cheltenham they have no business being a member of a PL squad
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

bspur1 wrote:We can make wholesale changes and put out a side that should wipe the floor with Cheltenham
Like we did Aldershot
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Keep a strong side and just go for it this year, Another trip to Wembley would be amazing
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

I would play Adrian, Rat and possibly Morrison, but otherwise keep things as they are.
sammer

Post by sammer »

I'd go with:

-----------------------Adrian-------------------
--O'Brien--Tomkins---McCartney--Rat--
----------------------Diarra---------------------
-------Morrison--------------Collison--------
--Vaz --------------Maiga------------Taylor--

Subs: Spiegel, Reid, Potts, Nolan, Lletget, Ruddock, Lee.

Apart from O'Brien and Maiga, I would pick a team full of players who haven't had a run out yet! The reason I went for Maiga is I am hoping he could pick up a goal or 2 and raise his confidence! Then hopefully Gold and Sullivan will buck their ideas up and bring another forward in, in time for Stoke! I didn't know whether to give Downing a run out or not. In the end I think we should just ret him, as knowing our luck he just know he would get injured in this. It's the West Ham way! So in the end I went for Taylor. Surely even he can look good against these!

I want to see all the youngsters from the reserves who have played well make the bench, with the odd first teaser (I.e. Nolan, Reid) and then hopefully, asking as these are out of sight, bring 3 of these on!

COYI :crest:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4398 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Adrian: O'Brien (capt), Rat, Tomkins, McCartney: Diarra, Taylor : Collison, Morrison, Vaz Te :Maiga

Subs: Spiegel: Ruddock: J Cole: Downing : Lee: Lletget: McCallum
rubbishweekend

Post by rubbishweekend »

brownout wrote: Like we did Aldershot
Boffin
Reid
McCartney
Faubert
McNaughton
Nolan
Barrera
Stanislas
Carew
Sears
Piquionne

Take Reid and Nolan out and I'd have trouble picking worse lineup. This was our cup lineup two years ago.

Now we've come to: Adrian, O'Brien, Tomkins, Morrison, Diarra, Vaz Te, Downing and a couple more.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3031 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The route to European competition .

----------------------------------Jussi--------------------------------

JoB---------------Collins--------------------Reid-----------Rat

---------------------------------Noble--------------------------------

Cole-----------Morrison--------------Nolan-------------Jarvis

-------------------------------Maiga-----------------------------------

Bench :Keeper , Demel,Tomkins,Downing, Collison,RvT,Diame .

Win the game, and get into the hat for the next round .
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheltenham have sold 1,349 tickets for the game, There average home attendance is 3k! :thup:
ishtar

Post by ishtar »

This is a big game for the squad players that have not had a chance yet this season.
Adrian
Rat
Diarra
Tomkins
Morrison
Collison
Vas Te
Should all be nailed on to start and i would give Maiga a chance to get a goal.
My starting 11 would be
Adrian
Rat
JOB
Tomkins
Collins

Diarra

Collison
Morrison
Cole

Vas Te
Maiga

The bench,Taylor,Nolan,Noble,Downing,and others from the U21 team.
This cup is one we should go all out to win and therefore we should put out players from the first team squad in each round not youngsters that deserve a chance.
Roby
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 264 likes

Post by Roby »

I've booked Tuesday afternoon off work for the journey and got a pair of tickets for this game.

We basically have three types of players who will be playing in this match:
1) New first team signings who need easing in - Adrian, Rat
2) Shop window players - Vaz Te, Taylor, Diarra and McCartney
3) Youngsters who can get a chance to impress - McCallum, Tombides, Lletget, Moncur, Chambers

Adrian
O'Brien Tomkins McCartney Rat

Vaz Te Morrison Noble Diarra Taylor
Maiga

I'd expect McCallum or Tombides to get 20 mins as a sub for the striker, Potts to get 30 mins as sub for the left back and Lletget his debut at some point towards the end.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

We shouldn't play Collison against a team who will be too physical he'll just bottle it every time someone is steaming into him.

Absolute passenger
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

To be honest what I've seen of Diarra I don't think I want him anywhere near the first 11 for this one.
ParisTheHammer

Post by ParisTheHammer »

2-0 West Ham, Morrison to score. :crest: