COC2: West Ham Utd 2-1 Cheltenham Town (27/08/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Cheltenham Town: match thread

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Bromleyboy wrote:In STBL - stood all match as usual. Some right muppets there though. The row in front talked (not looking at the pitch) and mucked about with their phones for 90 mins. Cheltenham had a corner in front of us at 2-1, and two of them had their backs to the pitch chatting!! Bloke behind us had to have squad numbers explained to him. Idiot the other side of my youngest left his seat 6 times during the match (my son counted) and missed Rav's goal, so got what he deserved!
Best to avoid the Trev Lower on nights like last night. Different crowd there.

Enjoyed last night, even after getting moved a few times in the East Upper which was a ballache. Stewards seem to have no clue where we were sitting. Moved from the north side of the Run to the south. Was supposed to be in 'ES7' wherever that is supposed to be.

The match itself though was entertaining in parts and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Morrison play. He was head and shoulders above any one in our team. Though Tomkins, Diame and Taylor had good games too. A solid debut for Chambers which was nice to see, although I was surprised not to see Potts in the line-up last night. Injured maybe?

Our main weak link was Collison unfortunately, he did not stand up to be counted and at present probably the midfielder at West Ham that offers the least. Got a lot of time for Jack, but he's starting to have consistent bad performances which is not good to see. Would consider moving him on, I doubt he'll get much better.

Vaz Te's free kick was something special. One of the best I've ever seen for the distance that he had to cover with it. As usual, no mention of this wonder kick from Sky, or likely to be in tonight's League Cup Show. We all know that if that was Gareth Bale that struck that free kick, Sky would be all over it like a cheap suit, probably saying that that'll add a couple of million to his transfer fee. :asleep:
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

According to the BBC report - Cheltenham failed to record a shot on target. That is two games in a row now we've managed that, and Cardiff only managed 1 shot.
Hammer Laffers
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

I enjoyed it, whoever allowed Rat to be number 8 should be shot.

Enjoyed sitting in the chicken run, although it does nothing to help my bladder! A nice easy draw at home again in the next round please.
WorcesterWHU
Total likes: 118 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

I'm being lazy here - when's the draw for the next round?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 525 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

WorcesterWHU wrote:I'm being lazy here - when's the draw for the next round?
Tonight.
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

Does anyone know the attendance ? Can't find it anywhere! I would guess it was around 18-20k mark...
rubbishweekend

Post by rubbishweekend »

sjb958 wrote:Does anyone know the attendance ? Can't find it anywhere! I would guess it was around 18-20k mark...
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

Cheers mate, that's a really good attendance for this kind of match (we usually only get about 14k for early round league cup against low opposition). Got to say well done for the owners and Karren on this one for keeping the prices low and attracting fans.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2411 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Vaz Te will never do that again in his entire life.... :lol:

Post by 1964 »

I don,t think it mattered what side we put out last night,to much class for them,should have won by alot more but a good run out for certain squad players. :thup:
kevino
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by kevino »

I can't believe that someone earlier was suggesting Tomkins had a bad game. It seemed to me for much of the first half he was our only player playing anywhere near his true ability. I accept the pen wasn't great but wasn't he leaving the ball to the keeper - even then did Adrian actually touch their guy?

I though Linda looked ok at cb and won't let us down if he has to cover there for Reid or Collins. Rat was obviously lacking match practice as he wasn't as good as I thought he would be and I was left with the feeling that it's no great surprise that JOB is still playing at left back in the "first team."

Taylor got better but still doesn't do it for me (or most others judging by the reaction around me) and it was sad to see that Jack C didnt quite make the most of his opportunity. Shame cos he's West Ham through and through.

Anyway, after a dodgy start, which is no great surprise seeing that the starting XI was completely new, it turned out to be a well deserved win. Let's hope we have a really good go at this competition this year.
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

wizzo_66 wrote:According to the BBC report - Cheltenham failed to record a shot on target. That is two games in a row now we've managed that, and Cardiff only managed 1 shot.

I know it was a penalty, but does their goal not count as a shot on target?
Hockley Hammer
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

With regards to Linda. he is another player who just comes in and can do a job. People like him and JOB are vital over a season. Good solid professionals.

I went to see the development squad play last Friday and Linda played for about an hour at centre half. him and Pelly Ruddock looked calm and composed. We looked anything but when Linda went off.

I do think Roland will grab the left back slot because a couple of superb early balls to feet in the first half with his left foot just highlighted to me the advantage of having a left footed player there.

The confidence in him to hit the ball with his stronger foot rather than stop and play it with the other foot meant that the crosses flew in. Would like to see him in combo with Jarvis or Downing.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

can anyone give old ch a link to the goals ta in advance
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Highlights^
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Forgot to add, the entire Development Squad was sat in the West Upper in a group amongst the fans, including Potts and Spence.

They all dressed like idiots but were all keeping a close eye on the bench to see if one of the youngsters was brought on as sub second half.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Morocco Mole wrote:Vaz Te will never do that again in his entire life.... :lol:
The free-kick?

Hasn't he already scored 1 or 2 of those for us?
netheniron

Post by netheniron »

WorcesterWHU wrote:Probably just looking to get Downing and Cole a half each for fitness - felt pre-meditated.
Certainly - that's why he was warming up on the pitch at half-time. (diplomatically) He was certainly as good as Cole and given the opposition possibly more effective, although that may have been just as much having Diame around (Cole had Diarra for much of the first half...). Diame bossed them in a way that none of the others did.
netheniron

Post by netheniron »

wizzo_66 wrote:According to the BBC report - Cheltenham failed to record a shot on target. That is two games in a row now we've managed that, and Cardiff only managed 1 shot.
I wonder how this was, given a shot was cleared off the line, only for a penalty to given straightaway for the initial offense after what seemed to be 'advantage'. Maybe I saw it all wrong, but would the ref (who was not very good) have given a penalty as well if the ball had gone in? Now that would've been controversial.

Was goal-line tech there?

The BBC report (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23764004). I read that and though I am prepared to stand corrected, I don't think the journo was at the game. It seemed a rehash of facts already known, a bit like the Nostradamus-like commentary you get on Match of the Day. But not even as good.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

thanks ywn couple of very good goals there