COC2: West Ham Utd 2-1 Cheltenham Town (27/08/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3084 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Cheltenham Town: match thread

Post by Wilko1304 »

Well, I can see why people pay full whack to sit in the East Stand, what a view. Right on the halfway line, only downside was the group of banterific lads behind us who seemed annoyed that the football was getting in the way of their drinking session. Weaker bladders I never have seen, constantly up and down for the toilets and were very angry that someone dared call em up on it. "Cant even drink at the football these days" said the lads of about 20 years old.

Morrison was a delight, especially when Diame came on. Between the two of them they ran that match and showed a class above. Rav travels with it so comfortably and the weight of his passing is wonderful. I went very excited to watch him and he delivered.

Thought Rat grew into it but I can see why JOB has had his place so far. Vaz looked better once we used the channels properly rather than just lumping it at him. Collison very subdued, but he certainly didnt bottle anything. Think he ended up doing the deeper work that Diarra had been doing, and Cheltenham obviously didnt challenge the holding midfielder very much so it became a quiet night. Downing has more pace than I remembered too.

Taylor tries, did combine ok with players and put in a good ball or two. If he can be got off the wage bill for this elusive extra striker then it would be no huge loss, but he certainly works hard enough to be an asset of some sort in the squad if he doesnt end up leaving.

And my girlfriend very much enjoyed her first game. She even decided the one player she fancied was Joe Cole, which I am ashamed to say made me a little proud of her.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

kevino wrote:I can't believe that someone earlier was suggesting Tomkins had a bad game. It seemed to me for much of the first half he was our only player playing anywhere near his true ability. I accept the pen wasn't great but wasn't he leaving the ball to the keeper - even then did Adrian actually touch their guy?

I though Linda looked ok at cb and won't let us down if he has to cover there for Reid or Collins. Rat was obviously lacking match practice as he wasn't as good as I thought he would be and I was left with the feeling that it's no great surprise that JOB is still playing at left back in the "first team."

Taylor got better but still doesn't do it for me (or most others judging by the reaction around me) and it was sad to see that Jack C didnt quite make the most of his opportunity. Shame cos he's West Ham through and through.

Anyway, after a dodgy start, which is no great surprise seeing that the starting XI was completely new, it turned out to be a well deserved win. Let's hope we have a really good go at this competition this year.
Yes, that's how I saw it. I think we could have stepped up a gear if necessary.
I thought we tried to play decent passing football starting from the back and the difference in distribution quality was a pleasure to see. If we are going to have players like Morrison in the side to make the most of him we need to cut out the aimless hoofs.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Didn't get home from the game until 2.30am so didn't have the chance to log on here until after work today.

I was disgusted with Diarra's "effort" last night.

He went down twice with what looked like suspicious injuries to me and was lucky not to have been sent off after 20 mins or so when we stupidly raised his hands to a Cheltenham player and squared up to him.

I thought he was going to get hauled off as he was making it very obvious he wasn't interested at all and looked to be taking the piss but he then decided to collapse again on about the 30 min mark and I doubt he'll ever play for us again.

The fella is clearly a bad apple as his many negative snipes towards the club have shown which combined with the fact he's had about 10 clubs show he can't settle anywhere. Did anyone see the recent quote from Chamakh after joining Palace where he said Diarra had advised him not to come to us on loan but he did anyway and should've listened to him? Bang out of order and he was very poor again last night.

Chambers looked promising and a bit of a "steady Eddie" at right back, Morrison was excellent and McCartney very solid and professional as usual. Shame we didn't used the 3rd sub and bring on Lletget or Lee for experience but we had to see the game out.

Poor old Vaz Te looked like he was making a point to Allardyce in his celebration after his brilliant free kick, sad if the rumours are true and we are trying to force him out as I think he deserves more from us.