West Ham Utd 1-3 Manchester City (19/10/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Puncher12
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Manchester City: match thread

Post by Puncher12 »

Guy Demel is one of the worst culprits for foul throws.

I'd also rather start Petric than Cole,

I thought the first half we didn't do too bad until the goal, although Reid had a shocker all game to be fair.

Diame seems to have forgot how to pass the ball aswell.

The main thing I picked up from the game, was how weak Nolan looked, the past few games i'd say he's been the weak link in the midfield, I'd rather see the midfield as

Downing Diame Noble Jarvis
Morrison

Just my opinion though.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Razvan Rat looks like a bit of a steal on a freebie. He is a ery decent and able left back in my opinion. I was impressed against Hull as i was with the Spurs and Man City games. He has been properly tested now and looks a good addition.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

The Gibbins wrote:Razvan Rat looks like a bit of a steal on a freebie. He is a ery decent and able left back in my opinion. I was impressed against Hull as i was with the Spurs and Man City games. He has been properly tested now and looks a good addition.
I thought he looked a bit flimsy first few games but he seems to have settled in and looks decent and a good signing.

Also him being captain of Romania and Reid captain of New Zeland, Nolan is on the pitch for leadership and goals, we have plenty of others who can captain Reid, Rat, Noble etc so we don't need him massively for that and secondly he isn't adding goals, he needs to be dropped, given a rest, maybe even as a super sub.
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Rasp »

prophet:marginal
Micah's British and a Manc to boot.

Of course, your dead right...
Last edited by Rasp on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

fmgod wrote:
I thought he looked a bit flimsy first few games but he seems to have settled in and looks decent and a good signing.

Also him being captain of Romania and Reid captain of New Zeland, Nolan is on the pitch for leadership and goals, we have plenty of others who can captain Reid, Rat, Noble etc so we don't need him massively for that and secondly he isn't adding goals, he needs to be dropped, given a rest, maybe even as a super sub.
Couldn't agree more
We've seen, these last couple of games, pretty much all our CM options on the pitch at the same time. I guess that makes it easier to judge the importance of each player to our side. To my mind, of the 4 CM's, Nolan would currently be in 4th place.
I'd have no problem dropping him to the bench. Nothing wrong with squad rotation, and as you say, he'd make a great super-sub option.
SP

Post by SP »

I get that there needs to be laws regarding how to re-start play from throw ins, corner kicks or goal kicks but really what does it matter if both feet aren't on the ground or the ball isn't fully over the head

I say let them under arm it back in or bowl it over head with one arm if needed, just get it back into play from where it went out
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 875 likes

Post by mushy »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:They always bottle the foul throws.
and they are probably right to I reckon, no real advantage to a foul throw .
Unless of course they throw it one armed the length of the pitch.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Anyone else notice the difference with the fitness of the two teams too...

Its funny how what you'd expect to have from a BFS team we don't seem to have :D

Not good at set plays.

Fitness levels so poor that the opposition look as if they have one more player than you.

Man City also looked stronger and bigger than us too !
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

I think the fitness issue comes about due to an inferior team being played off the park having to work twice as hard to get the ball back.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

carnage wrote:I think the fitness issue comes about due to an inferior team being played off the park having to work twice as hard to get the ball back.
Yep
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 770 likes

Post by Billydinho »

carnage wrote:I think the fitness issue comes about due to an inferior team being played off the park having to work twice as hard to get the ball back.
We set up that way though.

Talk about play to your strengths...
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

What are our strengths at this precise moment in time?
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

I haven't been impressed with Rat at all really, his touch and passing were abysmal against City.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Rasp wrote:Of course, your dead right...
He grew up in Chapeltown in Leeds. Ask anyone from West Yorkshire whether they're from Manchester and they'll give you an answer. Lescott and Milner were both on the bench.

I'm struggling to pick many from the present England team I'd really fancy to come in and improve on what we have. The eventually aim is for a football academy and having everyone play the City way from a young age. The good ones will all break through.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

We were in the game and competing well from half way through the first half up till their third goal..I thought it was a very good performance.

Defence a shambles? They repulsed dozens of attacks against the best attack they've come across for a while. Sure Reid made a few uncharacteristic poor clearances but I would suggest two of the goals were a bit special and would have breached most defences.

Good to see Diame playing 90 minutes at full pace and getting his head up a bit... and how good did Noble play? Sam has to get someone else to play the holding role and allow Mark Noble to push up more. Tomkins my choice, or Joey O'Brian.. If Tomkins then Collins slotting in at centre back would make us very strong defensively and allow the remaining midfielders to attack more freely..
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

Saturday's game reminded me a lot of when Arsenal visited last year - we gave it a good go against a great team on top of their game, but just couldn't live with their best players when they're at it like that. For Cazorla, Arteta and Walcott last season, see Silva (just incredible), Aguero (same), Nasri and Toure this time. We play like that against the teams in our 'mini-league' and we'll pick up wins... as was the case last season. I'll try and see the positives and observe we've scored 4 goals in the last 2 games against 2 of the top 5 teams despite not playing a striker! :wink:

That said, I was disappointed we didn't maybe try and have a go a bit more at times; on the one side it makes sense not to change a winning team from Spurs, but on the other I just think Sam left it too late to put a striker on - would've liked to have seen Petric come on sooner after we scored. Also Vaz gave them something to think about, bit strange to see him subbed; would've preferred to see Nolan go for Jarvis or ideally a striker.

Nobes was superb - my City mate texted me at the end about how good he was. Downing very good too; plays very sensibly, 2 good feet as well, and puts more of a shift in work-wise than I'd anticipated.

Can't speak for the apocalyptic scenes in the TBL, but the boys got a good round of applause from us in the East Upper at the end. I think we've found a way we'll approach away games from now on with the 4-6-0 thing, and it obviously has its virtues as shown a fortnight ago - I just reckon at home Petric or Carlton until Andy comes back is required - or Vaz as more of a number 9 than an invisible number 9!
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

irving boleyn wrote:We were in the game and competing well from half way through the first half up till their third goal..I thought it was a very good performance.

Defence a shambles? They repulsed dozens of attacks against the best attack they've come across for a while. Sure Reid made a few uncharacteristic poor clearances but I would suggest two of the goals were a bit special and would have breached most defences.

Good to see Diame playing 90 minutes at full pace and getting his head up a bit... and how good did Noble play? Sam has to get someone else to play the holding role and allow Mark Noble to push up more. Tomkins my choice, or Joey O'Brian.. If Tomkins then Collins slotting in at centre back would make us very strong defensively and allow the remaining midfielders to attack more freely..
How was the first goal special fella ?

Winston would never have usually let that ball through....a tired mind through travel i hope.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

The tactics always gave them an out ball and their defence was so far up and having no-one to deal with gave us an uphill battle. With 6 players in "midfield"...you would like to think stifle was in our game plan.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

btajim - mcfc wrote: The eventually aim is for a football academy and having everyone play the City way from a young age. The good ones will all break through.
You really with all your money can't think you'll have many home grown local kids eventually break though ??
surely they will just buy the worlds greatest 15 year olds and call them an academy.

Well done for saturday fella ,it really was men against boys but not helped by not playing anyone up top.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Romford wrote:
Fitness levels so poor that the opposition look as if they have one more player than you.

Man City also looked stronger and bigger than us too !
That's because they're some of the best players in the world Chaz, let's be fair.