Norwich City 3-1 West Ham Utd (09/11/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

WestHamIFC

Re: Norwich City Vs West ham Utd: Match Thread

Post by WestHamIFC »

Hockley Hammer wrote:My point was that Downing gives up natural width potentially on both sides rather than playing somebody out of position.

The fact he's playing considerably better than Jarvis means he has been a decent acquisition in my opinion.
He not been bad, but the bottom line is in this results business, would buying a decent striker instead have meant us getting more goals and more points?

By comparison, how many assists/goals has Downing brought us? Have his defensive qualities made an impact to our goals conceded?

I've not seen anything to suggest getting Downing was worth sacrificing a much-needed quality striker for.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

sutts07 wrote:Serious question(s), and not just aimed at you...

Who would people have taken out of the starting line up to fit the Defoe type into the team?

And...

Do you think we would have created the same amount of chances with that player removed from the team?
Probably Jack out of the starting lineup and Nolan with less responsibility to get forward. I'd expect a good striker to help us produce more attacking opportunities not less. I also have Rav coming alive and forming a deadly partnership with this anonymous hero in my mind's eye.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Hockley Hammer wrote:
Talk about opinions - I thought he was our best player by miles. Tried to spread the play around with some great passes and quickly too. If he played on the left Rat would get the ball to him quicker that Demel does giving him some space to run into. I like the fact he goes looking for the ball. Rather than stand with his hand in the air like Jarvis.
At least if he stood with his hand in the air he might get the ball....he's defo best in our team at bloody hide and seek.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

QuintonNimoy wrote: Probably Jack out of the starting lineup and Nolan with less responsibility to get forward. I'd expect a good striker to help us produce more attacking opportunities not less. I also have Rav coming alive and forming a deadly partnership with this anonymous hero in my mind's eye.
However Jack could play the "nolan" role very well as could morrison
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

WestHamIFC wrote:
I've not seen anything to suggest getting Downing was worth sacrificing a much-needed quality striker for.
I never said he was, I just think Downing is a decent aquisition that is all. It highlights what poor buys Jarvis and Maiga have been. I really am trying not to let this striker fiasco get to me because it is such mind-blowing incompetence and the cause of all our problems.

Like I said too many ifs seem to dictate our transfer policy.
mdennis

Post by mdennis »

Not sure if it's been asked yet, but where's the opposition view?
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1080 likes
Total likes: 1389 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

WestHamIFC wrote:He not been bad, but the bottom line is in this results business, would buying a decent striker instead have meant us getting more goals and more points?

By comparison, how many assists/goals has Downing brought us? Have his defensive qualities made an impact to our goals conceded?

For sure, we might have scored 3 more goals... who is to say that we wouldn't have let in 5 more and actually have less points than we currently do. This hypothetical bull**** is exactly that, bull****.

Who was this much needed quality striker who would have cost 6 million and been a first team player when Carroll gets back? Given who moved in the window and who was linked to move, I can't see any who convincingly meet this criteria. Shane Long was touted at more than 6 million just to place some context on all this (who has scored 1 in 8 this season). He wouldn't be a starting 11 when Carroll plays.

We gambled on bringing in a striker on loan but unfortunately this didn't come off because we were going for real quality and not just squad fillers (which we bought in after the window closed). There aint no point crying about it, let's just get behind the team.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Hockley Hammer wrote: I really am trying not to let this striker fiasco get to me because it is such mind-blowing incompetence and the cause of all our problems.
Yes, this is how I feel. I honestly do not think we are relegation fodder but in a season of transition at the top it was a real opportunity to push on. Not addressing the striker situation was awful. I just think Sam thought that he had enough in the squad to compensate. On this issue he was wrong on most others he has been right.
markmc

Post by markmc »

Haven't read through the whole thread here and don't know if mentioned or picked up on but watching the game last Saturday and the commentator mentioned that we ain't won at Carrow Road since Bobby Moore's days i.e sixties early seventies, not sure how many times we have met over the years but was surprised at that, is this comment correct??
Last edited by markmc on Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

The comment only relates to league games. I actually think its unlikely our barren spell at Carrow Road is even that long in the league, but we beat them January 2006, in our FA Cup run.
badgers1

Post by badgers1 »

This year was the 40th anniversary of our last league win there in 1973 making the 2nd half debacle even more sickening.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

As was talked about in the thread before the game....

We NEVER win at Narj in the league.

Embarrassing eh !
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Can I put in a plea for us all not to get too despondent about the Centre Back position.

Certainly we'll miss Reid but Tomkins and Collins is a good pairing.

J.C played well on Saturday,a lot of significant interceptions and clearances..his passing was a mixture of short and long..only one misplaced hoof on about the hour mark.Remember it was the resolute defense that gave the midfield the opportunities to be so dominant during the first 60 minutes, and then to be fair, compete well for the remainder of the game despite conceding.

He shouldnt be castigated for giving a way that free kick...it was a coming together.. the foul being manouvered by Snodgrass..just as Jussi was unlucky in being fouled in his attempts to control the ball.for the penalty incident.
markmc

Post by markmc »

badgers1 wrote:This year was the 40th anniversary of our last league win there in 1973 making the 2nd half debacle even more sickening.
Blimey, only thing has to be that we ain't met too many times in the league, what with them being more **** than us overall :wink: poxy stat though....
markmc

Post by markmc »

irving boleyn wrote:Can I put in a plea for us all not to get too despondent about the Centre Back position.

Certainly we'll miss Reid but Tomkins and Collins is a good pairing.

J.C played well on Saturday,a lot of significant interceptions and clearances..his passing was a mixture of short and long..only one misplaced hoof on about the hour mark.Remember it was the resolute defense that gave the midfield the opportunities to be so dominant during the first 60 minutes, and then to be fair, compete well for the remainder of the game despite conceding.

He shouldnt be castigated for giving a way that free kick...it was a coming together.. the foul being manouvered by Snodgrass..just as Jussi was unlucky in being fouled in his attempts to control the ball.for the penalty incident.
No mercy for ginge from me I'm afraid, geezers mostly a liability in my book, and yes I know he's a trier etc and hate to say it fwiw but get rid..
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Romford wrote:As was talked about in the thread before the game....

We NEVER win at Narj in the league.

Embarrassing eh !
Other than the cup win on 2006 is it really 1973 since we last won there :shock:
61dicksey
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 435 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Diarra in for Ginge? bit more cultured