West Ham Utd 3-3 West Bromwich Albion (28/12/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Lil Joe 17
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Re: West Ham vs West Brom Match Thread

Post by Lil Joe 17 »

What I don't get about Jarvis is that yes he only really has 1 move...but it beats the man 75% of the time and has done for the last 2 years so why is it a problem?
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

Lil Joe 17 wrote:What I don't get about Jarvis is that yes he only really has 1 move...but it beats the man 75% of the time and has done for the last 2 years so why is it a problem?
If he cut inside though he'd probably have a shot on goal on

Why hasn't Allardyce pointed this out to him?

Could add a whole new dimension to his game and who knows he might actually score one or two
Lil Joe 17
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Lil Joe 17 »

Jarvis has had a few opportunities to shoot but doesn't. I have a feeling that it isn't a decision forced by Allardyce however a lack of confidence in his own shooting ability.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Just want to check, we fought back from a goal down, with 6-7 first team players out, no cb's and not having changed 6 players after a game l48 hours previously like wba?
_fortunes_

Post by _fortunes_ »

Jarvis cuts inside many times and has done so in the past.

What he is greeted with when he does cut inside is a wall of opposition defenders and those tracking backwards to help. On seeing that there is no avenue to shoot he lays the ball off. It's that inability to beat or get around players for a clear shot on goal. Generally he is forced to lay the ball off square or backwards in some cases if he doesn't take it back down to the by line for a cross.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

f*** me, if Jarvis is garbage amd what ever else after yesterday's performance then I'm either blind or we have 8 or 9 other REALLY **** players.

His crosses are floated because he isn't a two footed player, it's very obvious to see. I'm not sure whether or not cutting inside is his choice or if Allardyce has drilled it into him to beat his man and get a cross in.
Let's get one thing straight though he is deployed on the left in most games, the only person who puts him there is the manager. You'd see a totally different player if played on the right IMO. Also he never gets in behind defences as I have seen him try to do because not one of our players can pick his run and threads a ball.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2653 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

Not sure if this is mentioned elsewhere here, but our starting XI featured only two players that cost a fee yesterday.
MikeNewell'sOldBoys
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by MikeNewell'sOldBoys »

Lil Joe 17 wrote:Jarvis has had a few opportunities to shoot but doesn't. I have a feeling that it isn't a decision forced by Allardyce however a lack of confidence in his own shooting ability.
I think it was Taylor who said a while back that Allardyce had told him to stop taking so many shots and to get the ball wide instead.

My main complaint with the team lately is our reluctance to get the ball forward quickly on the floor like we did in the 3-0 against Spurs. We've got a few quick players (Jarvis, Diame, Morrison), we should use them. Hate it when we do that annoying thing where we pass it back to the centre backs so they can knock it between them before hoofing it long after the opposition have had time to regroup.
BenniBlanco

Post by BenniBlanco »

Jarvis played well, he always wanted the ball, was our main attacking threat throughout the game, always beat his man, always got a cross in or won a corner from the deflection., he also defended the line well. The only thing that he did wrong was not shoot when in on goal, he could have easily scored when put through yesterday. I think some of you lot should get off his back.
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by clawhammer »

I seem to remember going mental a week ago when Jarvis scored at WHL! He nearly always gets his cross in. I think there are too many on here who delight in rubbishing our players regardless of the facts. No surprise as our home support is an absolute disgrace lately and this is reflected in some of the threads on here. Quite a few on here need to piss off and support Chelsea and leave KUMB to West Ham supporters. You are part of the problem.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2401 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Thinking Jarvis is awful and/or wanting a new manager = should go and support Chelsea

No idea why. That whole, I am a better supporter than you snobbery rearing it's head again
Welsh Iron

Post by Welsh Iron »

Ozza wrote:Just want to check, we fought back from a goal down, with 6-7 first team players out, no cb's and not having changed 6 players after a game l48 hours previously like wba?
Yes, that I can confirm. Can you now confirm that we led both 1-0 and 3-2 and then sat back and invited them on to us, as we always do.

If we weren' t so deep in the mire, I'd have enjoyed the festivities yesterday. It reminded me of so many games of old. As it is, I'm fed up and pissed off that we can't change our system to see off weaker opposition (not necessarily today).

Some of the decisions BS has made in recent weeks have been questionable, to say the least, which is why so many of us are turning against him.

I've read every comment on this match thread and some of the **** being spouted about the manager, the team and the fans during the game is embarrassing. But its easy to talk **** when your sat at home watching it on TV and haven't gone to the game.
arlhe
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

Not had time to read any of the post match comments BUT second half Nolan gave his best performance of the season. At the back? Well, no centre halves tells it's own story.
kevino
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by kevino »

I didn't think Jarvis played brilliantly yesterday but it was one of his better games which says a lot really. What concerned me most though was that we were outplayed for lots of the game by a team like West Brom and we gifted Anelka 2 goals. Also the non existent challenge by Demel for the third goal and Jussi's positioning were diabolical after we had just taken the lead. Imo, we were a bit lucky to get a draw.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 1094 likes

Post by Rio »

Match threads prove many things, virtually none of them positive.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

kevino wrote:I didn't think Jarvis played brilliantly yesterday but it was one of his better games which says a lot really. What concerned me most though was that we were outplayed for lots of the game by a team like West Brom and we gifted Anelka 2 goals. Also the non existent challenge by Demel for the third goal and Jussi's positioning were diabolical after we had just taken the lead. Imo, we were a bit lucky to get a draw.
Because unlike every team in the division, we back off and give the opposition time on the game (ala Grant days). Winds me up watching us sit off teams like Sunderland, West brom et al and make them look competent.
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

Why was Berahino getting a lot of stick for the STBL?

I do rate him though and his goal was a moment of quality (although I think Jussi should of done better)

Was a strange game, edge of seat stuff. When we went 2-1 down before HT I never envisaged us getting back in to it. But it's good though and a positive to take into the game on Wednesday

What irked me was the countless number of long balls into the box looking for Maiga's knock-downs. It never worked and left us exposed in the middle for West Brom just to glide through our midfield to create another chance at the other end. Allardyce needs to change this, it really is poor football. Although with Morrison being out and Diame not in the game at all we did lack creativity in those positions

Thought we were lucky to come away with a point, Berahino's free kick left Jussi flat-footed (again, not for the first time this season). But I think we deserved that luck as we've had it rough in other games, hopefully we can take confidence into the Fulham game knowing we can actually score if we apply 100%

Was a dreadful shame about Tomkins. God help us we need a CB back for Wednesday
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2490 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

clawhammer wrote: I think there are too many on here who delight in rubbishing our players regardless of the facts. You are part of the problem.
I can't argue with that, we're all pissed off with the results so people look for who to blame. Jarvis is no way a bad player but if he was world class he wouldn't be playing for us.
arlhe wrote: second half Nolan gave his best performance of the season
I would say that Nolan had his best game and was good in both halves, hopefully his poachers goal will give him some confidence and he was finally gambling on flick-ons.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2490 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

I've just watched the highlights and it only reinforces my opinion of Jussi from yesterday, past it. At fault for two goals, one definite the other just didn't offer anything, and unable to move enough to try for the third. Then at the end he did his usual with a free kick from just outside the box, didn't move and watched it hit the post.
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

I think the biggest positive from yesterday was that we didn't lose the game. While we are suffering with all these injuries it's imperative that we keep as many teams in and around us as possible.

In terms of performance the team looked what it was - patched up and players being asked to do jobs that they are not used to. That was none more evident than in our centre back pairing. It's easy to say but I don't think West Brom would have been afforded the same space for any of our goals had our first choice centre back pairing been there. Every week that goes by without Reid shows you just how important he is to us and how far he has progressed.

In terms of individual performance, Rat was very disappointing. As somebody mentioned, he just constantly put in these pointless chips into the box despite having yards in front of him to move into. The lazy leg wave to try and control a high ball summed up his performance. It was like he wanted to be somewhere else. Diame looked absolutely knackered and was woeful in possession. Jarvis reminds me of a poorer version (by that I don't mean how much cash he has) of Etherington. Maiga come on and made a difference. The manager should have faith in him and start him ahead of Cole and may well be repaid in a more confident player.

What disappoints me the most is the amount of hiding our players do. People complain about the long ball and lumps but there are so few options when we're on the ball. The lack of movement and players willing to come deeper to show or pick up the ball is embarrassing. West Brom had a vibrant, inter-changing midfield with Mulumbu who I thought had a good game dictating things. Ours was static with players so close together and at times almost standing behind one another. It's times like this where you need somebody with the b*llocks to pick the ball up in a tricky situation, get on it and look to make things happen, inspiring those around him. Unfortunately our captain does not have the talent to do that so it generally falls on Noble (and hopefully Morrison) to step up.