Cardiff City 0-2 West Ham Utd (11/01/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Graza

Re: Cardiff City v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Graza »

Watching Soccer Saturday yesterday the muppet watching our game "Charlie Nicholas" was it? gave the impression that Tompkins went into his second bookable studs up into the face of the Cardiff striker not that he hooked a ball clear and the little t*at ran into his boot - that he saw coming and knew he was going to take a knock - brave or cynical play depending on what you believe.
Bamber Gascoigne
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Bamber Gascoigne »

Graza wrote:Watching Soccer Saturday yesterday the muppet watching our game "Charlie Nicholas" was it? gave the impression that Tompkins went into his second bookable studs up into the face of the Cardiff striker not that he hooked a ball clear and the little t*at ran into his boot - that he saw coming and knew he was going to take a knock - brave or cynical play depending on what you believe.
Charlie Nicholas = poor mans Frankie Mac
61dicksey
Has liked: 580 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Fat jock poof , how can you go studs up when your foot is facing the other direction attempting a clearance?
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I've had a longer chat with my Cardiff mate (who's a regular down in the lego-stadium).

The talk amongst him and his mates at half and full time was that their defending for our goals was shambolic and that few feel that OGS was a clever appointment with that particular issue in mind.

It prompted me to look again at the goals we scored. He's got a point; the defending for both was pretty poor - at best. Noble's goal was well shot, but the keeper practically dived over it. Anyone decent would kick himself to let someone score from that angle.

CC's goal is well-taken, but, again, the back four around him are all snoozing.

That doesn't augur well for a relegation rival.

Sweet.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3680 likes
Total likes: 2385 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Hampshire Hammer wrote:I really don't get this "two good penalty shouts" stuff, there was one where George had his hands on Campbell - which they might have got if Campbell hadn't thrown himself down, as he did several times.

Also why was nothing made of the studs up stamp on Noble, I had my heart in my mouth because I thought it was bad one.
We should've had a pen too, right near the end when Downing crossed for Taylor.

That was a clear push in the back.....
unmartillo
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by unmartillo »

Ludeksgloves wrote:For some reason, the sheep sh*ggers really hate us. -Which makes it all the more pleasurable to read this:

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/fudforum/index.ph ... rt=0&rid=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Their forum makes this one look great. I know it IS great, but you know what I mean. :kumb:
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by clawhammer »

unmartillo wrote:
Their forum makes this one look great. I know it IS great, but you know what I mean.
This. No doubt KUMB is one of the very best forums. There may be some muppets on here but most of them can string a sentence together. 8-)
neathiron
Has liked: 481 likes
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by neathiron »

Loved the atmosphere in our end yesterday, way better than it was when we played down Swansea. Sense of humour with our songs was top notch. Thought the Cardiff lot sounded very quiet yesterday but somehow they came across loud when i watched the highlights on Sky sports. They must have pre recorded crowd noises or something. Thought Noble and Tomkins (up until he got sent off) were immense yesterday. Was a bit unsure about sticking with Adrian in goal because i thought his confidence would be shot after conceding so many goals last few games, but boy did he prove me wrong. That save he tipped over was world class. Will make a nice change to go into work tomorrow and not have the piss taken for a change. Onwards and upwards from here hopefully :crest:
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

What happened?
Is it safe to come out from behind the sofa yet?
EastLondonHammer

Post by EastLondonHammer »

ESPN team and manager of the week.

Bamber Gascoigne
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Bamber Gascoigne »

EastLondonHammer wrote:ESPN team and manager of the week.
Manager of the WEEK :eh:

I take it they mean weekend.
WestHamAlways

Post by WestHamAlways »

It was a great day and a great result yesterday. The support was top notch. First half I thought we played well despite the shocking injury to Demel. I was impressed with the Cardiff crowd clapping him off, it was nice to see.
That said it was hilarious to see three or four Cardiff fans nearly blowing gaskets at our song. One had to be spoken to by a steward he was going mental!!
They all looked at us shellshocked while a rousing 'we've only got 10 men' went out.

Adrian was immense in goal and interacted with us well during the first half. Noble was excellent and I loved his composure near the end before his goal when we were just hoofing it clear. He got on the ball and ran one way with 4 Cardiff players tracking him towards another, turned, and led 5 the other way before laying off a simple ball. It took the steam out of Cardiff.
Yes we may have ridden our luck at times, but so did City today!
Disco_82

Post by Disco_82 »

This game reminded me a little of our win against Blackburn a few years back where we rode our luck but ultimately got 3 points and kicked on from there. Hopefully getting the 3 points will instil some confidence in the side. Disappointing to lose Tomkins for a match given our lack of CB's. He seemed in a very angry mood on Saturday. Thought Adrian was sensational in goal and Carlton took his goal well. Amazing when everyone contributes what can be achieved.

Hopefully Carroll can stay fit. His ability to hold up the play takes pressure of the defence by allowing the midfielders to push forward and retain possession. Having said that Cole deserves to start against Newcastle next week. Two wins on the bounce? Been a long time coming but now is the time :crest:
arlhe
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

Remind me again why we need cover for Andy Carroll?

A week-end away and I can go to work with a Monday morning smile for the first time in ages. Not seeing it all slip away after Tomkins sending off was a rare and unexpected treat.

Still a long, hard remainder of the season to go. At least I think we can still be in the fight come the end of season. After Fulham I thought we'd be down by mid-April.

:)
IrishHammerCanada

Post by IrishHammerCanada »

markmc wrote:
Respect, must be freezin' and v. early there
LOL - not at all, the climate here in Victoria is better than London! It's only icy in our house when we lose.
Games generally kick off at 7am. (We're 8 hrs behind). It works out OK. I have a pot of coffee, and then a fry up and a w@nk if we win. Shredded wheat for penance if we lose :-(
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2490 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Dyl wrote: Cambell was being held. It is one that is given rarely, but we could not really have had many complaints had they been given it.

The handball was also a great shout. If it had been the other way around we'd be fuming. Arm away from his body, not exactly point blank range and stopping a dangerous cross.

I think overall we were lucky, but we played with heart and guts and deserved our luck.
So you agree that the holding is rarely given but it was a certain penalty?

No way was the GM handball a penalty, the ball was fired at him from just over a yard away.

As MM says, the push on Taylor was more of a penalty than either of those claims.

If you go through a game and pick things out it is easy to say a team was lucky, I thought our guys worked hard to a plan and deserved the win.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Graza wrote:Watching Soccer Saturday yesterday the muppet watching our game "Charlie Nicholas" was it? gave the impression that Tompkins went into his second bookable studs up into the face of the Cardiff striker not that he hooked a ball clear and the little t*at ran into his boot - that he saw coming and knew he was going to take a knock - brave or cynical play depending on what you believe.

Cant really have too many complaints about the card though. The Cole one last season, Cole wd have had no idea where the player was. But Tomka will have known he was close to their player and shouldnt have taken the risk of getting his foot so high, as clearly dangerous. (Quite agree talk of studs up is silly mind, angles completely wrong fror that to be true, even if you didnt watch the slo mo).
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

EastLondonHammer wrote:ESPN team and manager of the week.

I'm pleased for Roger.

Not sure about him as a winger though.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

Re possession.

The tactical genius Jose had a plan to stop Barcelona from scoring at the Nou Camp when he was at Inter. It involved surrendering possession and retaining a defensive shape.

It worked.