West Ham Utd 2-0 Swansea City (01/02/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Adam 'The Smudge'

Re: West Ham United v Swansea City match thread

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

Hammer83 wrote:How the **** did Collins get that man of the match yesterday :lol: he spent most of the game hoofing it straight back to Swansea so they could regain possession.We were lucky it was Tomkins that was marking Bony on that punt over the top because Collins doesn't have the pace or skill to make such a tackle.
With 10 men and 9 behind the ball where does he hoof it?
Over the flats and beyond in the hope there's only one ball??
Hammer83
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

Somewhere close to Carroll or Cole would have been a good starting place.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Great result. Two good finishes, showing that Nolan knows where the back of the net is - at least when he's teamed up with AC. That second one looked really hard to me - seems like Nolan had to move away from goal before he glanced it in.

Look forward to more of the same.

This will leave us with some interesting choices for the next slew of games - depending on Carroll's ban.
If the card gets rescinded I still I suspect that opposition managers will be able to get their CB's to mark Carroll out of the game. Two key points: 1) Whether or not Carroll can beat those markers a few times in each game to either work the keeper or set up Nolan et al. 2) If Carroll - and the rest of the team - have their scoring boots on, or at least make the keeper work a bit.

Noble did well - remember how good he looked when Tevez was playing with us?(And yes, pointed noted, it was an almost-relegation season)I wonder if it might be time to start setting up more often to play to Noble's strengths.
Me ol china

Post by Me ol china »

Hammer83 wrote:What's harsh did you see how many times he gave the opposition the ball in both those games his passing is terrible for a premier league player.

Against Chelsea Taylor was absolutely everywhere, everyone gave the ball to the opposition against them because they had no one to pass to most of the time, in the long run i don't have much doubt that Nocerino will take his place & i am not Taylor's biggest fan but i wouldn't drop him at the moment because in my opinion he has been one of our best players in the last month or so
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 808 likes
Total likes: 3028 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Less than 32,000 there yesterday despite it being KFAQ .

A bit worrying given we have 19,000 more seats to sell in 30 months time .
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Any way of seeing extended highlights for this game? MOTD is not enough for me!
Full match here:-

http://livefootballvideo.com/fullmatch/ ... ansea-city" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

There were enough negatives to focus on yesterday after that sending off.... BUT!!

From what I saw, Carlton Cole didn't look particularly energetic yesterday when he came on (dare I say lazy?) - I love the guy and I am a big advocate of his but I hope he isn't going to rest on his laurels now he has secured himself a contract...

I would have much preferred to see Borriello come on but I guess that's the 'I'm excited we've made a big name Italian signing' twelve year old version of me!
ironsjh

Post by ironsjh »

Hayden wrote:There were enough negatives to focus on yesterday after that sending off.... BUT!!

From what I saw, Carlton Cole didn't look particularly energetic yesterday when he came on (dare I say lazy?) - I love the guy and I am a big advocate of his but I hope he isn't going to rest on his laurels now he has secured himself a contract...

I would have much preferred to see Borriello come on but I guess that's the 'I'm excited we've made a big name Italian signing' twelve year old version of me!
Re. C.Cole he had nowhere near the service Carroll had because Jarvis had gone off (by the way brilliant performance) and Downing had dropped deep to defend as had most of the team.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

the pink palermo wrote:Less than 32,000 there yesterday despite it being KFAQ .

You have to wonder who is insane enough to think that £59 to watch Hull City is justifiable.

Being charged Rolling Stones prices to watch the local pub singer.
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

ironsjh wrote:Re. C.Cole he had nowhere near the service Carroll had because Jarvis had gone off (by the way brilliant performance) and Downing had dropped deep to defend as had most of the team.
Fair point - maybe I'm just being overly harsh on him after a stunning performance from AC. By that stage we were also looking to hold onto a win with 10 men as well I suppose!
Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

What was so different yesterday, that's a standard Cole shift, ineffectual, get used to it, further 18 months...

Laughable that people give him hero status.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

bubbles1966 wrote:Being charged Rolling Stones prices to watch the local pub singer.
TerryBrown Sugar?
Dan1326
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by Dan1326 »

Mike420 wrote:What was so different yesterday, that's a standard Cole shift, ineffectual, get used to it, further 18 months...

Maybe loyalty and effort are good things?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 808 likes
Total likes: 3028 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

bubbles1966 wrote:Being charged Rolling Stones prices to watch the local pub singer.
prophet:marginal wrote: TerryBrown Sugar?
Don't start me up . after all, you can't always get what you want

Mind you we could use Jaggers movement in midfield
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

Mike420 wrote:What was so different yesterday, that's a standard Cole shift, ineffectual, get used to it, further 18 months...

What more could the bloke do? We're down to ten men, defending backs to the wall, the only time he gets the ball is when its hoofed somewhere in his general direction from someone in defence.
Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

Lincolnhammer92 wrote:
What more could the bloke do? We're down to ten men, defending backs to the wall, the only time he gets the ball is when its hoofed somewhere in his general direction from someone in defence.
Learn to trap a ball?
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

I'm convinced we put Carlton on over Boriello because he's good at defending in his own box.
richiepap

Post by richiepap »

Carlton is flippin excellent at defending corners. I'm wondering if he particularly stands out in my mind for some weird reason because he seems to nod the ball away that often.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Carlton did what you would expect. Some good defensive work, held the ball up really well on a few occasions and less so on others. My big disappointment with him is that he doesn't anticipate anything and always seems to be just that split second slow and the chance of an interception or getting on the end of a pass has gone. I think as fans we want to see a striker going for goals, whereas I'm sure Sam was content with the job Carlton did overall to protect the lead.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

the pink palermo wrote:Less than 32,000 there yesterday despite it being KFAQ .

£57.50 I paid to sit in the back of Alpari Upper on Saturday.

Going Villa away next week, my ticket for the game and return train ticket is cheaper than that.