West Ham Utd 2-0 Norwich City (11/02/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 25 likes

Re: West Ham United v Norwich: Match Thread

Post by clawhammer »

Clacton-ammer wrote:The worm with luck turned it may well have....
You are Master Yoda and I claim my £5 :)
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

BMLGirl wrote: Even with deals on we're struggling to get 30k through the door.
Tbf, up until lunchtime there was a very real possibility of a tube strike which I'm sure affected attendance - however, I doubt very much we would've sold out.

Re the game - it was an awful, turgid performance. Very happy with the win and the 3 points and, given our position, happy to accept a few more games like this until the end of the season to ensure our prem status. After that though, still want BFS out, really don't want to be watching the same sort of performances again next season.[/quote]

This is true, the Swansea game was a lunch time on a sat kick off (some people have a problem with them and it was also free on BT sport , which a lot of people got for free via their internet contracts so might have given it a miss) that and kids for a quid aint that good a deal.. you still need a full paying adult per child (cant even have one dad taking two kids).. not like when i used to go with a few mates for £1 each.. those were good nights out

last night as stated there was threat of a strike which had put people off, if the strike had gone ahead mayb we would have only seen 25k attendance?
tjr008
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by tjr008 »

I can't believe people are using the 31k attendance to moan about the OS move. The club wants to grow and attract better players - with a bigger stadium and clever pricing we'll average 45k weekly. It might make us able to get better calibre players and grow over a 10/20 year period. Some will just miss the moaning too much.

Of the match - it was tough after the Villa game to take on one of our nearest rivals. Norwich are a decent team being held back by a very negative approach from their boss. Taking off Redmond was a big mistake flagging or not.

Diame is a 25 minute burst player. That's what he was at Wigan but wanted to leave for 90 minutes - however, the late destroyer has always been his strong suit. Good change, Sam.

We could have easily dropped points here - vital we didn't and well played all round. 3/4 more wins and we can start to breathe easy. First 3-win haul since the days of Tevez.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

tjr008 wrote:I can't believe people are using the 31k attendance to moan about the OS move. The club wants to grow and attract better players - with a bigger stadium and clever pricing we'll average 45k weekly. It might make us able to get better calibre players and grow over a 10/20 year period. Some will just miss the moaning too much.

Of the match - it was tough after the Villa game to take on one of our nearest rivals. Norwich are a decent team being held back by a very negative approach from their boss. Taking off Redmond was a big mistake flagging or not.

Diame is a 25 minute burst player. That's what he was at Wigan but wanted to leave for 90 minutes - however, the late destroyer has always been his strong suit. Good change, Sam.

We could have easily dropped points here - vital we didn't and well played all round. 3/4 more wins and we can start to breathe easy. First 3-win haul since the days of Tevez.

Fully agree with all your points

the southampton game should be good, I hope we can get Borriello some like reserve games or behind close door friendly to get up to speed so that he is ready to start against southampton

thought yesterday we played well enough for the win, the lads must have been tired from the past 2 games (especially after the small gap since the villa game) so its good that we coped well and now have 10 days off until the next game
Estuary
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 138 likes

Post by Estuary »

From the BBC Sports web page this in game live text feed shows how people sometimes see a different game altogether.

Goal!
Goal! West Ham United 1, Norwich City 0. James Collins (West Ham United) right footed shot from the centre of the box to the centre of the goal. Assisted by Mohamed Diamé with a cross following a set piece situation.

:?
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Iron George wrote:Most pleasing part of the evening for me was that it was that snide diving **** Snodgrass that gave away the free kick for our first goal.

Sneaky little tug back that Oliver did well to see ( and only gave after giving us the chance to play advantage) - so thanks for that assist Snod.
Agreed, I hate him for his cheating in the game at their place and was giving him plenty of abuse last night.

Like you say good spot from the ref and Schnozz got his comeuppance :lol:
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

How Norwich only got three yellow cards yesterday still amazes me now. Constant fouling, moaning to the referee etc and even the ref missed a hell of a lot of fouls last night.
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

Great result for us

Some great posts -comments here already about the performance, the luck, etc etc

But one thing for me that I really wanted to see was that Boreillo wasn't just a straight swap for Cole....

I really reckon we would get more from him if we adapted to his type of player either by playing him him with cole or Carroll (when allowed) or by bringing Nocerino on with him in a similar way Nolan and Carroll play...

I think if we did we would change the game and put the opposition on the back foot with another dimension to our game... I really think it would get the goal scoring opportunities and give us a plan b...

But 3 points is 3 points and I am just grateful we scored so late on as my heart couldn't take another game watching a parked up bus :)

COYI
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Kitt the car wrote:How Norwich only got three yellow cards yesterday still amazes me now. Constant fouling, moaning to the referee etc and even the ref missed a hell of a lot of fouls last night.
Agreed, there were a couple of blatent dissent shouts that he should have stamped down on - then booked the guy who took on a shot after the whistle was blown. Quite bizarre, especially as he also missed various fouls that would normally be a freekick and yellow card.

One of my pet hates, foul throws, did we get pulled up for one near the east stand/bml corner second half or did the ball go back out of play? There are so many foul throws in games but the officials never seem to worry these days.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

In the TBL last night during half time I can only describe the situation as being 'titted off'
I was making my way back towards the bar area having just emptied my bladder when I happened to notice a blonde haired lady with a voluptuous figure. Moments later I must have been passing by the ladies toilet when I was approached from behind by what I believe was the same lady who proceeded to push/maneuver/bounce/thrust me out of the way even.. with her boobs.
That doesn't happen at most games.
likemydreams
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by likemydreams »

tjr008 wrote:I can't believe people are using the 31k attendance to moan about the OS move. The club wants to grow and attract better players - with a bigger stadium and clever pricing we'll average 45k weekly. It might make us able to get better calibre players and grow over a 10/20 year period. Some will just miss the moaning too much.

Your mad if you think 45k will go over there to watch us
Hampshire Hammer

Georgee Paris wrote:In the TBL last night during half time I can only describe the situation as being 'titted off'
I was making my way back towards the bar area having just emptied my bladder when I happened to notice a blonde haired lady with a voluptuous figure. Moments later I must have been passing by the ladies toilet when I was approached from behind by what I believe was the same lady who proceeded to push/maneuver/bounce/thrust me out of the way even.. with her boobs.
That doesn't happen at most games.
I think you'll find your assailant is the person in this picture showing off their body rather than the lady in your dreams. HTH ;)

Rampton

Post by Rampton »

Fishdo wrote:Great result for us

Some great posts -comments here already about the performance, the luck, etc etc

But one thing for me that I really wanted to see was that Boreillo wasn't just a straight swap for Cole....

I really reckon we would get more from him if we adapted to his type of player either by playing him him with cole or Carroll (when allowed) or by bringing Nocerino on with him in a similar way Nolan and Carroll play...

I think if we did we would change the game and put the opposition on the back foot with another dimension to our game... I really think it would get the goal scoring opportunities and give us a plan b...

But 3 points is 3 points and I am just grateful we scored so late on as my heart couldn't take another game watching a parked up bus :)

COYI
My thoughts precisely. I'm not sure what the thinking is behind the Cole/Borriello change, which has been made at half time in the last two games - whether this is a fatigue thing? After a bit of a questionable start, I thought Carlton held the ball up very well last night as he grew into the game. When the change was made at the break, we seemed to lose that, which allowed Norwich to get forward quickly and more often. To be fair, they did have a lot more possession in the second period, and looked the more likely to score until we did. Nothing detrimental towards Borriello mind, but I just don't see that he has this attribute in his locker.
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

I think it might have been her actually HTH -

Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

Yikes!! 8-) They are even bigger than I remember!
Hampshire Hammer

Georgee Paris wrote:I think it might have been her actually HTH -
Impossible as she was at home making sure there was a hot drink ready for me when I got in (in my dreams anyway) ;)
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

mumbles87 wrote: no but because of the fantastic transport links more people will go most likely. I know a few people who dont enjoy going because of the poor transport (i.e waiting at upton park)
I'm glad we're moving so these types can now avoid the real struggle it is to not have to queue a bit for a tube or walk 10-15 mins to another station.

On the game, we were the better team first half but didn't put our chances away. 2nd half, bringing on Borrielo for Cole and not going for it was a f*** up IMO and Norwich were the better team 2nd half creating chances and generally passing it around our cumbersome midfield well, but we got lucky with 2 goals against the run of play. On balance it could be argued we deserved the win.
Aycliffe

Post by Aycliffe »

Adrian is getting a lot of plaudits recently and rightly so. He took a bit of stick in certain quarters when he was first introduced into our team but remember the opposition he was facing and the “defenders” he had in front of him!
13 clean sheets this season is an exceptional effort and can you imagine if we had managed to have got a fit and healthy Andy Carroll going from the start of the season. One player who I have always thought had a lot of potential is James Tomkins. I have always stuck up for him but I was starting to get concerned that he wasn’t learning from his mistakes and his lapses in concentration was continuing. Recently though I think his performances have been excellent and bear in mind he has had his own injuries and issues of the pitch. He has been composed on the ball and his defending very solid and look at his tackles against Bony at home to Swansea and again his tackle last night on I think it was Johnson, how crucial did those tackles turn out to be? It will be interesting to see what Sam does as Reid is obviously his main man but surely neither Tomkins or Collins can be dropped at present.
Competition for places all round the pitch and the return to form of our captain hopefully means mid table boredom but then again we are talking about our beloved West Ham......... COYI
Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Irrons »

I missed the first half but was checking the BBC feed, which mentioned a top class Adrian save with almost every update from our match. From that I gather they had quite a few decent chances?

From what I saw (second half) we did not play well; we couldn't get our foot on the ball or keep concerted pressure on Norwich because we couldn't retain possession and spent most of the second half chasing Norwich players around the pitch for the ball. We still badly miss Carroll as our long out-ball when we are pressed high up the pitch, as Norwich did all game. However, Adrian and our defence, rock solid as usual, kept us in it when they had their chances and we punished their profligacy in front on goal with two late winners.

Another great result, and another game grinded out with a win when we were obviously not performing to our best. I guess that is a mark of a confident team that is playing for each other so hopefully it continues. We will need to up our game against Southampton though as I don't think we will keep picking up wins with that type of performance
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

hadleighhammer wrote:
I'm glad we're moving so these types can now avoid the real struggle it is to not have to queue a bit for a tube or walk 10-15 mins to another station.

I think any fan with common sense will know that the move will enable really helpful transport links for all. lets face it all the trains that go through stratford

greater anglia , central line, jubilee time, london overground , DLR, eurostar!!! much easier at getting the fans out of the ground after a match than having to go via the district who soon will have weekend shut downs again whilst they upgrade the sub surface railways... so long term and short team it benefits us all.