West Ham Utd 2-0 Norwich City (11/02/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Heysel76
Has liked: 216 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Re: West Ham United v Norwich: Match Thread

Post by Heysel76 »

Heysel76 wrote:Great result.
Was the only highlight of the day, as i had to follow the match from Newham General, as my Son got his foot run over by a Range Rover, outside the main gates.
What a nightmare getting home on crutches, thank god the tube strike got cancelled!
:crest:

Edit: That's 2 more empty seats accounted for!
BTW, A big Thanks to the fellow Hammer, who took pity on us & gave us lift to Canning Town DLR, so that we could get home, restores your faith in human nature
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Grays wrote:
When you account for away fans yes it is.
I think you cant judge it on last nights game, many factors could have been a part of it

1. until 8 hours before kick off there was a tube strike announced. This put a lot of people off as they wouldnt be able to get home

2. Flooding all over the place causing problems to rail lines and roads

3. mid week game not always full anyways
Grays

Post by Grays »

Plenty of other examples this year where we've struggled to get 30,000 West Ham there (Sunderland, Newcastle, Swansea).
Like everyone has said this is probably due to the pricing but I don't believe this will improve at Stratford, far from it.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Grays wrote:Plenty of other examples this year where we've struggled to get 30,000 West Ham there (Sunderland, Newcastle, Swansea).
Like everyone has said this is probably due to the pricing but I don't believe this will improve at Stratford, far from it.
Honestly there are ways and means that this will greatly increase our fan base with the move.. the figures are there.. people only have one view (hard core fans views) where as if you look at it from outside the box you will be able to attract people from all over london to come see us.. cheap younger tickets aswell to get new fans in when their kids and get them brought up west ham

change is coming.. sometimes just have to accept it and role with the times
Karlos

Post by Karlos »

We were 2nd best yesterday for sure, but we won. I can't feel bad about that because of the amount of times I've watched us be the better team over the years - countless times - and still lose.

Can't blame the team, we've played well these last few games, whilst under immense pressure, and there were tired legs out there last night. They did brilliant to hold on with the help of Adrian and then to find the strength late on to grab a couple of goals to get the win.

It was a huge 3 points for us and more than that it was 0 points for Norwich and a 4 goal swing on the goal difference between us. That could still be vital!

Let's hope they come back from Dubai both rested and fired up. One of my best mates is a Saints fan so would love it if we beat them.

4 more wins and a couple of draws from our remaining games should do it, I hope!

Come on you Irons.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

tjr008 wrote:I can't believe people are using the 31k attendance to moan about the OS move. The club wants to grow and attract better players - with a bigger stadium and clever pricing we'll average 45k weekly. It might make us able to get better calibre players and grow over a 10/20 year period. Some will just miss the moaning too much.

Of the match - it was tough after the Villa game to take on one of our nearest rivals. Norwich are a decent team being held back by a very negative approach from their boss. Taking off Redmond was a big mistake flagging or not.

Diame is a 25 minute burst player. That's what he was at Wigan but wanted to leave for 90 minutes - however, the late destroyer has always been his strong suit. Good change, Sam.

We could have easily dropped points here - vital we didn't and well played all round. 3/4 more wins and we can start to breathe easy. First 3-win haul since the days of Tevez.
The point we are making, and it really isnt that subtle (but it seems to have passed you by) is that our attendences are struggling because the football is ****. And that with 20k extra fans at the OS we need a change of approach (sorry I'll make that clearer: a change of manager) in order to play the kind of football that will fill the ground.

I'm a season ticket holder, have been for years, but the time may come pretty soon when with all the wizard deals, I decide I can pick and choose my matches and save money with the half price offers etc. The club are going to struggle for revenue if I am not alone in that.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

upton o'good wrote:
The point we are making, and it really isnt that subtle (but it seems to have passed you by) is that our attendences are struggling because the football is ****. And that with 20k extra fans at the OS we need a change of approach (sorry I'll make that clearer: a change of manager) in order to play the kind of football that will fill the ground.

I'm a season ticket holder, have been for years, but the time may come pretty soon when with all the wizard deals, I decide I can pick and choose my matches and save money with the half price offers etc. The club are going to struggle for revenue if I am not alone in that.
I see your point but I have to disagree here. There wasn't much of a problem with attendances last season; because we weren't struggling with injuries and stuck in a relegation battle perhaps? I'll admit that at one point my bum got squeaky and I thought we needed a new manager but I was wrong. I think we'll look back on this season, with the adverse circumstances we've found ourselves under and say what a phenomenal job he's done to keep us in it. He deserves at least another year and a lot more funds imo (which I would hope they'd make available to build a team suitable for that stadium).

He played some decent stuff at Bolton once he'd laid the foundations and he's played some decent stuff here at times. He deserves the chance to do that here if he keeps us stable this season.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Adrian, Adrian, Adrian!

He's big, he's here, his name's a Spanish beer, San Miguel!

My name is Adrian San Miguel,
I come from near Seville,
I play in goal for West Ham (West Ham),
When I walk down the street,
Everyone that I meet say,
Oi big boy, what’s your name?
Myyyyy name is Adrian San Miguel...

Genuine man crush. One of the best keepers we've had in my time following!

I was only 5 when Ludo left.
Disco_82

Post by Disco_82 »

A crucial 3 points. So crucial in fact that it could be the difference in whether we stay up or not. Beating a fellow relegation rival after being second best for long periods will give the team further confidence they can finish the season off on a high. Norwich had some excellent chances and we were lucky not to be behind on at least 3 occasions. Things are turning in the right direction and long may it continue. :crest:
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Is there no tunnel vision for this yet?
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

ryanrc wrote: There wasn't much of a problem with attendances last season; because we weren't struggling with injuries and stuck in a relegation battle perhaps? I'll admit that at one point my bum got squeaky and I thought we needed a new manager but I was wrong. I think we'll look back on this season, with the adverse circumstances we've found ourselves under and say what a phenomenal job he's done to keep us in it. He deserves at least another year and a lot more funds imo (which I would hope they'd make available to build a team suitable for that stadium).

He played some decent stuff at Bolton once he'd laid the foundations and he's played some decent stuff here at times. He deserves the chance to do that here if he keeps us stable this season.
Very well put Ryan, I think that eloquently sums up where we are. That said, as I think you acknowledge, we ain't gonna fill that stadium with another 15-20,000 'floating voters' as we are. As you say, give him at least another season keeping our heads above water and gradually improving the squad, then we should see where we are in 18 months time, maybe 2 and a half years if next season goes alright, then step up from there (hopefully!!!) :thup:
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4269 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

ryanrc wrote:Is there no tunnel vision for this yet?
It's on West Ham TV :x
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

I had tunnel vision in those last ten minutes after we'd scored (inc injury time).

I have not celebrated so vivaciously these past few games for many a year. I had almost forgotten the unabated relief of pulling away from a desperate position (let alone winning).

Thank you Big Sam and the all the players for brightening up my world and chasing that black cloud that keeps following me around.

Four more wins in the next 4 games and we can all breath out again :D
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Aztec Hammer wrote:
It's on West Ham TV
Headbanger
I guess this was inevitable
kayahammer wrote: I have not celebrated so vivaciously these past few games for many a year. I had almost forgotten the unabated relief of pulling away from a desperate position (let alone winning).
How nice is it to be the aggressor's in a 'smash and grab' and not the victims for once?
WestHamByTheSea wrote: That said, as I think you acknowledge, we ain't gonna fill that stadium with another 15-20,000 'floating voters' as we are. As you say, give him at least another season keeping our heads above water and gradually improving the squad, then we should see where we are in 18 months time, maybe 2 and a half years if next season goes alright, then step up from there (hopefully!!!)

Thanks mate. And exactly, I think given the right quality of player and the right investment, Big Sam has as much chance of gaining high attendances as any other manager. Let's face it, Mourinho doesn't exactly play ticky tacky football does he? But I didn't see many Chelsea fans complaining when he was walking the league with them. However, he's got players like Hazard and had Drogba/Robben and they're gonna play some beautiful, exciting stuff whichever manager they're playing under.