Everton 1-0 West Ham Utd (01/03/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Re: Everton v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by MB »

Morocco Mole wrote: Downing played there in 2010/11 at Villa. 8 goals, 7 assists.
I'd completely blanked that he spent most of that season off the frontman. Petrov sitting deep with Milner, Young, Downing and Albrighton off a big man.

They were good to watch and effective (if a little dodgy at the back thanks to Mr Dunne...)

We could probably buy Young, Milner and Albrighton in the summer. Just a shame that Noble is no Petrov.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

the pink palermo wrote: I have huge sympathy with your view here , but I'm afraid you can expect more of the same .

Pragmatic, grind it out stuff to stay in the PL - guaranteed - until the move to the Athletics Stadium .

It's not pretty but it is effective .
I don't think that's necessarily true. This season hasn't been easy on the eye, I don't think many would argue against that. But in similarly difficult seasons under people like Zola and Pardew, the football wasn't any more easy on the eye imo. The difference is, in a terribly difficult second season like this, Allardyce has managed to grind it out and maintain team spirit.

I think the football last season was considerably better than this, and I'd expect next season to be our best under him so far, once we are stabilised and he has had a chance to invest in the squad further. He's never been one to play the way Arsenal, Swansea and a couple of other purists play, but when his teams play well they're not nearly as dull as he gets stick for. I, for one, am grateful to have had a manager come in, run the club professionally and stabilise us; I hope that he's now going to build on this over the next couple of years and I'd like to see him bring in a couple of pacey, exciting players.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I am glad people are using the word stabilise rather than consolidate..
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

saludo de carlitos wrote:One of the worst atmospheres I have witnessed in years, home and away supporters, just flat as a pancake.
You must be deaf then we never stopped all game their ends were as quiet at church mouse's
Der-Hammer

Post by Der-Hammer »

saludo de carlitos wrote:One of the worst atmospheres I have witnessed in years, home and away supporters, just flat as a pancake.
Really? I didn't think we were that bad and I was down the front row. Everton were very quiet though, which is odd because they were probably the loudest fans at Upton Park this year.
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

We were by far the loudest as Everton didn't make a murmur, but I was sat 5 rows from the front and just didn't compare to other away games, long periods of no singing.
ireland hammer

Post by ireland hammer »

I know this is a bit late but any body else think that if he left Demel on we would have been ok as we were fine I tought up till then ???
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

ireland hammer wrote:I know this is a bit late but any body else think that if he left Demel on we would have been ok as we were fine I tought up till then ???
But this is part of the Demel problem. He rarely can last a full 90 minutes. It is the reason I'd replace him in the summer.
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

Nah he was literally blowing out of his arse at the end :lol: