Everton 1-0 West Ham Utd (01/03/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Re: Everton v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Billydinho »

61dicksey wrote:Whatever the stats say or not , i hope we do not have to endure another season of playing this style of football.
Inviting teams on and hoping for the best, it just is killing me and taking any enjoyment out of watching

Ping pong football and if teams had more clinical finishers we would be a lot worse off than we are at the moment.
This is pretty much it in a nutshell.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

Morocco Mole wrote:
They don't necessarily have to score 10 though.

5/6 would be great if they also create 10-15 for the rest of the team and help orchestrate a midfield more able to keep the ball.
But Nolan has 7 assists already this season and is fairly consistent in getting assists so you are looking for a player to get 5 goals and 20 assists. That is a £35m+ player.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

[quote="bubbles1966"]

Last year - central midfielder Diame had the highest pass accuracy at the club, 84.1%.

That's because he does his very best to not have to pass it. He runs down blind alleys and then loses it.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

In the good old days we never had "assists" we judged a player by the contribution he made each game.
Statistics and lies bah! all bollox.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

wizzo_66 wrote:He runs down blind alleys and then loses it.
Yes, sometimes he does. Other times, like recent home wins against Fulham and Norwich, he turns games.

He's one of the few players we have on our books who is capable of really turning it on against anything better than mediocrity. If he was consistent, well, he wouldn't be here, would he? That's Diame's major problem.

For the umpteenth - our #1 target in the summer should be a high quality central midfielder, and we shouldn't stop there in trying to improve that area. I'd happily see at least two new ones in.
tavbet
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by tavbet »

A Kumb poster uses stats like a drunken man uses a lamppost. For support rather than illumination!
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

61dicksey wrote:Whatever the stats say or not , i hope we do not have to endure another season of playing this style of football.
Inviting teams on and hoping for the best, it just is killing me and taking any enjoyment out of watching
I have huge sympathy with your view here , but I'm afraid you can expect more of the same .

Pragmatic, grind it out stuff to stay in the PL - guaranteed - until the move to the Athletics Stadium .

It's not pretty but it is effective .
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Pretty sure Ravel has the highest pass completion rate this season for us - and by a fair bit - yet like Diame he gets cast as being profligate with the ball in possession.

I wonder if it's just more obvious when those two misplace one because they're more likely to have broken forward and it's more noticeable when a move breaks down as opposed to just shanking a poor pass from a static position in the middle of the pitch?
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

We lost?! To a better team? Sam out. Nolan out. DL out. UtJ out. Rars out. West Ham Matt out.
MB

Post by MB »

Pass completion without context is meaningless.

Tom Cleverley completed 89% of his passes against Stoke a few weeks back. You then look at the pro zone of where those passes were made and the direction they were played in and you see that the 11% he missed were all forwards and the 89% he completed all sideways or backwards. All of the completed passes where in his own half or the middle third of the pitch.

Diame plays a lot of give and goes so my perception is he'd hit shorter passes than Taylor.

If Diame could consistently defend then it would be a no brainer, but as pointed out above then he would not be playing for us!
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

bubbles1966 wrote:
For the umpteenth - our #1 target in the summer should be a high quality central midfielder.
Agree entirely.
worboyes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by worboyes »

jackhammer has a point though
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

worboyes wrote:jackhammer has a point though
Realistically, haven't seen a single person say we should have won.

Have seen a few suggest a 10th placed team doesn't necessarily have to pretend they're defending the Alamo when facing a 7th place team, especially when that team hadn't scored a league goal in 28 days.

It's the nature of the beast that if you don't see a gameplan like that through to the end and get a point from it you're going to look dispropotionately bad. Fine lines and all that
MB

Post by MB »

thejackhammer wrote:We lost?! To a better team? Sam out. Nolan out. DL out. UtJ out. Rars out. West Ham Matt out.
We lost to a better team without their leading scorer (for most of the match) and missing two key attacking midfielders.

We could have been more positive and given them a bit of a game. Not saying we'd have won, but it was a chance to have a go and make a bit of a statement given we were on an unbeaten run and they were slipping down the league.

I accept that is the price of having Sam in charge, but it left me a little disappointed that we lost without even a whimper.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

I think the Diame vs Taylor debate is a false one when we have brought in Nocerino to be a box to box passing/possession midfielder. Saturday's game was perfect for him to improve the way we play away from home, but he wasn't even brought on.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

MB wrote:
But Nolan has 7 assists already this season and is fairly consistent in getting assists so you are looking for a player to get 5 goals and 20 assists. That is a £35m+ player.
Nolan has 5 assists according to ESPN.com

I've already told you what I'm looking for: someone that keeps the ball better and gets 5/6 goals and 10-15 assists.....
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

bubbles1966 wrote: He's one of the few players we have on our books who is capable of really turning it on against anything better than mediocrity.
Whereas Nolan is the opposite of that; reliable against mediocrity but impotent against the best. :thup:
bubbles1966 wrote: For the umpteenth - our #1 target in the summer should be a high quality central midfielder, and we shouldn't stop there in trying to improve that area. I'd happily see at least two new ones in.
And again.... Image
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

hawkins_hammer wrote:I think the Diame vs Taylor debate is a false one when we have brought in Nocerino to be a box to box passing/possession midfielder. Saturday's game was perfect for him to improve the way we play away from home, but he wasn't even brought on.
Agreed - it was frustrating to see our bench and then not use any of the new players we bought in at all. Nocerino or Armero probably would have been a good option if we hadn't already used up a sub for Carroll
MB

Post by MB »

Morocco Mole wrote:I've already told you what I'm looking for: someone that keeps the ball better and gets 5/6 goals and 10-15 assists.....
I was being lazy and used the fantasy football site. Not that it makes a lot of difference

I'd love that to, but it is a massive ask. You are talking Cabaye/Oscar/Ozil level if you want that consistently from an attacking midfielder. The only players with that kind of impact in teams around us are Snodgrass and Lallana. A fair amount of their goals and assists are from set pieces and Snodgrass doesn't really play the role you are setting out. What would Lallana cost and would he really come to us?

The only way I can see us replacing Nolan is with a striker. He basically plays as a second frontman so why not go the whole hog?

You could bring in a pacy forward to play off Carroll, drop one of the wide players and play a proper 433. We've tried to do it on the cheap and failed, but with the right budget it could work nicely.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

No one said it would be easy but it's what we need to find if we want to progress.

There's a kid at QPR with potential..... :)