Stoke City 3-1 West Ham Utd (15/03/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Re: Stoke vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by James P »

61dicksey wrote:Missed the Gin ger Pele simple.
Whilst I'm not disagreeing with you, who would you have benched to make way for him today?
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

61dicksey wrote:Missed the Gin ger Pele simple.
danm79 wrote:would not argue at all with this, why was he not in the team - just dropped?
Collins is with Stellar Football Ltd. and not Mark Curtis :hush:
unmartillo
Total likes: 76 likes

Post by unmartillo »

Any idea why Collins didn't get a game today?
kevino
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by kevino »

Not long been back. Another turgid away performance imo although we didn't deserve to lose 3-1. I haven't seen the disallowed goal and the hand ball again yet but can't remember any other shots by us in the second half.

Strange decision to drop Collins today when you've got Crouch to contend with in the air and Tomkins didn't really cope with it. Reid was clearly feeling his way back. I also think Stoke away was not the time to blood Noccerino. He seemed a bit lost most of the time.
Hammertapp
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Hammertapp »

Had a f*cking fun day out myself, despite watching 90 mins of utter dross. (Not sure you can even call today football).

Luckliy I was pissed enough not to care!

I will of course still be miserable tomorrow (probably extra becasue of the hangover)
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Pathetic attempt at a save from Adrian for the second goal, he jumped to the floor before the ball was struck.

Definite penalty to us, watching the ref mouth the words "it was never a penalty in a million years" to Andy Carroll just shows he is a ducking moron
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Just one of those games really. Started well and then to be fair to Stoke they played well thereafter. Not Adrians most convincing performance but he is only human and he has been good in recent weeks so fair enough. Worst thing was other results didn't go our way. Bit of a reality check. On we go...
Bergen Hammer

Post by Bergen Hammer »

Good effort, ok perdformance and a sh*t ref. Got very unlucky today I thought.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

That was a scathing interview from Allardyce and I quote "the defending for the second goal was pathetic" I suspect words have been had regarding that. Also went in quite hard on the ref which of course is totally understandable.

That ref looked like a right smug **** when telling AC "never in a million years". I have seen so many bad decisions this season I think it's about time the refs started getting scrutinised a bit more especially when you see the errors some of them are making week in, week out and changing games.
_fortunes_

Post by _fortunes_ »

Preliminary results of the autopsy that will have begun after the end of this game will show Stoke did the double on us. I am not happy with that outcome.

Circumstances did conspire against us to some degree but forward passing and possession in midfield is an issue. Downing for JC was a strange one for me as was Reid for Collins.

Tomkins marking Crouch for their first didn't understand that one.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Standard away for us, we got who we deserved.
Stoke offer hope though, much improved in a short space of time.
wizzo_66
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Many saying Ginge should have played. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. For Reid mind you, not Tomkins. Tonks had an excellent game and Reid was lacking. Perhaps lack of game time but Tomkins spent the game covering him getting caught.

That all being said, Collins looked half cut warming up before the game.

Nocerino is a great player but couldn't handle the physicality.

Only criticism of Sam yesterday was using Joe Cole. Gutless, hides, on his last pay check. Hugely disappointing to see that from a kid who I worshipped as a kid when he broke through.

I think on another day we could quite easily have taken Stoke apart 3 or 4-0. You get games like those. The officials were dreadful again which is frustrating. The nearside lino bottled 4 or 5 simple decisions.

Noble and Carroll are two players we have that are a class above. Noble was yet again the best player on the pitch and Carroll starting to really get in the groove. Great touches and build up play on the floor.

Diame again proved to me he tricks himself more with his stepovers than the player he tries to beat. He's an impact sub, plain and simple.

Sam will get stick for changing it from the same people who were giving him stick for not showing us the new players.

Good away day though. Fairly cheap, easy to get to.

Stoke City, where's your famous atmosphere? If they have the best fans in the country then the Boleyn is a cauldron. Out sang them all game. Didn't hear a peep until their SECOND goal. Didn't even pipe up when they scored their first!
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Was I the only one who thought Stoke is the worst organised away ground in the Premier League, no pies at half time, 3 buses from the bar to the ground (same going back), queued for half an hour for a drink at 2:15 and don't even get me started on the bus debacle at the end of the game.

Never the less, was still a reasonable day out for the amount of money paid. Performance wise - we were not good enough, still felt we could have snatched a point though, we always have a chance when Carroll and Nolan are paired together.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Why is the home page match report saying 1-0 or have I gone mad?
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Not going to be too critical of Sam for the changes as I can see why he was tempted to do it but I hope that lessons have been learned.

Our good run has been built on solid defending but, yesterday, throughout the game, we looked shaky again at the back like we did at the start of the New Year. I'd put that down to two things - no Collins or Taylor.

Collins may not be the quickest or most mobile but he is solid. Nocerino may be a great player technically, but he looked lost and he certainly didn't play the role that Taylor has been playing, sitting in front of the back four protecting them and freeing up Noble. That made us look more vulnerable every time they broke forward.

It should be back to Taylor and Collins for me until we have the points on the board, then we can start experimenting.

Also, I thought Diame looked one of our more lively players, but he is not a winger for me. Jarvis may be infuriating but he is a natural wide man and he is willing to pick up the ball from deep and run, which gives a bit of variety to our attacks and gives the defence that little bit more time to regroup and have a breather. Although, I would really prefer to see Vaz Te back as he can offer everything Jarvis can plus a goal threat - where is he?

Pity about the result as Stoke without three key players should have been winnable but, in spite of the team we put out, we could still have won it if we'd had the rub of the green or if one or two people had stuck a foot or a head or hand in at the right time.

On to the next game and back to basics for me.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

I thought we were unlucky yesterday.. a lesson in taking our chances.. just a shame there always is a poor ref call with us involved that can end up costing us.

1-0 up we still pressed and went for more goals. 1-1 from a lucky deflection in all honesty.. if it hadnt hit him I think one of ours would have got something on it and got it away.. poor defending though

Andys one 2 with nolan he should have buried for 2-1 but the keeper somehow kept out.

they get a lucky second goal.. mishit.. we then are denied a pen.. if we had got that and scored we wouldnt have been chasing the equaliser and they would not have got us on the break for the 3rd.

Too many ifs and buts though. Not going to knock sam it was good to see some changes.. we played some nice football.. Carroll got 80 mins and I thought it was right call to take him off because we werent going to score 2 goals.. so keeping him fit and giving pablo a little game time wasnt a bad call..

i think i prefer loosing 3-1 like that rather than loosing 1-0 with no fight
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

This a BIG reallity check. If anyone out there needed it. We are still in trouble and could yet go down.
MarylandHammer
Location: on the freedom bus to nowhere city. And we haven't even told our parents what time we'll be back.

Post by MarylandHammer »

We are not going down.

I thought Reid looked unfit too...it clearly wasn't the Reid we all remember of him.
When I saw Joe Cole coming on I knew things weren't going to get better. I loved the guy, love that he is in a C&B shirt but he really isn't the JC he used to be unfortunately. It happens to us all at some point.

My biggest gripe (and I turned the TV off when Cole came on so I can't comment on the whole game) is - why wouldn't our beanpole mark their beanpole on corners? I would've thought AC would be marking good looking Peter Crouch however it was Tomkins on that goal marking him.
Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU »

I was surprised to see the lineup to be perfectly honest. Despite the loss at Everton - which I thought we did enough for a 0-0 - I don't think Collins and Taylor did anything worthy of being benched. IMO this was a game suited for Ginge. One could argue a swap of Taylor/Nocerino wouldn't affect too much but although Notch put himself about all over the place I felt the change upset the balance ever so slightly but it's to be expected being his full debut and everything.

Still, I didn't think Nolan was offside at the time and it was a stonewall penalty shirley :D

Adrian had an off day, bound to happen sooner or later.

Fantastic cross and header for the goal though, a beauty of a header.

We'll be alright.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Lee_WHU wrote:I was surprised to see the lineup to be perfectly honest. Despite the loss at Everton - which I thought we did enough for a 0-0 - I don't think Collins and Taylor did anything worthy of being benched. IMO this was a game suited for Ginge. One could argue a swap of Taylor/Nocerino wouldn't affect too much but although Notch put himself about all over the place I felt the change upset the balance ever so slightly but it's to be expected being his full debut and everything.

Still, I didn't think Nolan was offside at the time and it was a stonewall penalty shirley :D

Adrian had an off day, bound to happen sooner or later.

Fantastic cross and header for the goal though, a beauty of a header.

We'll be alright.
He was offside, because he was in front of the keeper. People forget that there need to be 2 players behind the ball for you to be onside (or level) one is normally the keeper but because the keeper was on the floor he was offside