West Ham Utd 0-2 Manchester Utd (22/03/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Re: West Ham United v Manchester United: Match Thread

Post by warp »

James P wrote:I must be in a minority of one but I didn't really think we were that bad. I think the two freaky goals took the wind out of sails but I thought for most of the first half we matched them. We were holding the ball and recycling it well in their half. Downing got round the back a couple of times. We were putting them under pressure and winning corners.
not that much pressure when you don't have any chances and when your corners create their goals.

what really pisses me off, is that the heads dropped after shrek's goal. that is unacceptable for me.
i'm not sure if it's just the players having no guts, or if setting up defensively against teams we should beat has drained their confidence out of them, or both things.
but it's not the first time it happens (naaaarwich?) and it has to stop, it's infuriating.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Our contribution to a premier league wknd of 42 goals and loads of thrills? One tame header on target that De Gea hardly had to move to.

Two shots on target vs Stoke. One on Saturday. Fantastic stuff.
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

James P wrote:I must be in a minority of one but I didn't really think we were that bad. I think the two freaky goals took the wind out of sails but I thought for most of the first half we matched them. We were holding the ball and recycling it well in their half. Downing got round the back a couple of times. We were putting them under pressure and winning corners.

Wasn't the worst performance I'd seen this year.

I kinda agree with you, we weren't that good but we weren't bad, we did however match a poor Man United side though. Our passing was atrocious at times. I think I've said it before but Manchester United's defending was brilliant, tactically spot on infact, Carrick & Elbows Fellani double teaming on any long ball in so even when Carroll won the ball, Carrick was there to clean up the knock down. Also on every corner Manchester United had 4/5 players on the goal line (including the keeper) so even if we were to get a header or shot on target from a corner, the chances of it going in were slim. Take out the two unlucky goals and it would have been 0-0, not a bad result at all.
continental skills
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by continental skills »

Having watched the Man Utd midweek game against Olympiakos, I was amazed at their lack of mobility off the ball when they were in possession. I'd hoped that this was a general thing under Moyes, but Saturday proved different. The movement of Mata, Kagawa and Rooney was what killed us, in my opinion, and Fellaini doing a very good job against Carroll, better than any centre half I've seen against him this season.
That, combined with the stroke of luck for them of Rooney getting away with that clear push on Tomkins and us having to chase the game from an early point. Thought we actually did quite well, at least in the first half, but overall too many of our players had poor games - Noble was as poor as I've seen him this season, and Tomkins looked wobbly after that awful cross-field pass, while Diame - despite a couple of brilliant moments - continues to frustrate me, especially with his final ball. All in all, though, I think we'd have done better against the team Moyes put out against Olympiakos...
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Kitt the car wrote: I think I've said it before but Manchester United's defending was brilliant, tactically spot on infact, Carrick & Elbows Fellani double teaming on any long ball in so even when Carroll won the ball, Carrick was there to clean up the knock down.

They were very good. Good tactics, well implemented
It didn't take long for me to figure out they were happy enough with Carroll winning the long balls. They focussed on making sure there was nothing on for him once he won the ball. And it worked a treat.

But why, when I had that sussed within 15 minutes, did we not change our own tactics and focus, and try something different?
We kept pumping it up to Carroll all game, and they were happy to see us keep doing it....
Kitt the car wrote: Take out the two unlucky goals and it would have been 0-0, not a bad result at all.
Except of course it wouldn't have been
Do you think if it had been 0-0 at half time, the second half would have followed exactly the same path? I don't for one second
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Teams know how we play and we could have addressed this in the window by at least getting someone with a bit of pace in to offer something a bit different than just sticking Carlton up front with AC when the chips are down to give us two lumps to continually dink high balls into.

Instead we got a journey man lumbering Italian who was unfit on arrival and is now injured and never going to play another minute for us and was last spotted in the Radiciou Harvey Nicks memorial watch department.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

How many times did Nolan touch the ball?
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Billydinho wrote:How many times did Nolan touch the ball?
You're gonna need to be more specific. With his feet or some extremity of his body trying to control the ball?
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Just generally, he had to be near it to get any touch on it.
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Billydinho wrote:How many times did Nolan touch the ball?
He went down asking for a pen just before their second and.....errr.....hmmm... :?
richiepap

Post by richiepap »

Think he wildly misplaced a pass straight out for a throw in too.