West Ham Utd 0-2 Manchester Utd (22/03/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Re: West Ham United v Manchester United: Match Thread

Post by warp »

i've just read fat sam's comments on the official site. clown.
RM6

Post by RM6 »

Hockley Hammer wrote:This Man Utd team that was there for the taking happen to have picked up more points than anybody else in the league away from home this season - before yesterday.
Indeed, but why should reality get in the way of a irrational rant?
miles
This site...
Has liked: 321 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by miles »

carnage wrote:I said a week ago it was the worst Manure side I had ever seen.

Yesterday has a bit of déjà vu about it for me. I remember Carrick in defence against us one year and we lost 4-0. :lol: Was it Curbs in charge?
Zola. A performance ten times worse than yesterday.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2015 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

carnage wrote:I said a week ago it was the worst Manure side I had ever seen.

Yesterday has a bit of déjà vu about it for me. I remember Carrick in defence against us one year and we lost 4-0. :lol: Was it Curbs in charge?
In prem history. Not ever.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

warp wrote:i've just read fat sam's comments on the official site. clown.
Its funny...another word beginning with C come to my mind :wink:
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Stupid fat ugly walrus.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

ironworks41 wrote:What no commentator on here or in the media has mentioned is the conditions, a really swirling gale one minute, with pissing rain and then, some difficult conditions for our game plan.
Ha ha.

Dont difficult conditions usually favour the direct side over the team that aim for accurate passing.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Knighter10WHU wrote:Stupid fat ugly walrus.
Can't argue with that :lol:
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

What a total load of waffle :?
ironworks41

Post by ironworks41 »

Upton,
what I was somewhat clumsily trying to point out was the wind didn't help Adrian deal with Rooney's lob, you had to be there to see the ball hold up,watch Adrian try to get his feet sorted out as he watches the flight.
We were very naïve with our crossing ,mostly lofted and difficult to judge,we would have been better hitting 'em hard and low.
Still cannot deny they dealt with it a lot better than us, and in some areas we were beyond awful. Diame especially.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

ironworks41 wrote:Upton,
what I was somewhat clumsily trying to point out was the wind didn't help Adrian deal with Rooney's lob, you had to be there to see the ball hold up,watch Adrian try to get his feet sorted out as he watches the flight.
We were very naïve with our crossing ,mostly lofted and difficult to judge,we would have been better hitting 'em hard and low.
Still cannot deny they dealt with it a lot better than us, and in some areas we were beyond awful. Diame especially.

The wind didn't stop Mata bringing that high ball down effortlessly.....
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Maybe £37.1m players are better a dealing with blustery conditions?
GingerJohn

Post by GingerJohn »

Wow...just wow!!. :?

It amazes me how people can still argue that it wasn't a foul on Tomkins, 'shoulder to shoulder'??....seriously??.

Since when has it been ok to shove a player in the back with your forearm?. Don't get me wrong we were dump and our style of play was nothing short of embarrassing but we were playing vastly superior players and blaming Tonks for that is mental. I guarantee Shrek would go down like the sack of **** that he is if he'd felt a forearm shoving him in the back. If you're running forward full pelt and someone nudges you in the back I'd like to see you keep your balance. Love this place, any excuse to have a pop.
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1493 likes

Post by smuts »

[quote="ironworks41"] We were very naïve with our crossing ,mostly lofted and difficult to judge,we would have been better hitting 'em hard and low.
[quote]

That's all we do ever crossing wise...hence Jarvis being known as "Floaty cross".

Look at Carroll's goals up at Newcastle.....work it quickly out wide and then quick whipped in crosses for him to attack. All we ever seem to do is faff about then dink it in to the back post where most of the time the keeper easily gathers it or we overhit it for Carroll to go and chase.
DODGYDAL

Post by DODGYDAL »

ironworks41 wrote:Upton,
Me and my pals thought he really cocked up for that goal should never has turned his back on the ball he lost the flight of the ball, honestly think if he had back tracked whilst watching the ball he could have just caught it.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

My assessment....

When I saw the starting lineup - I was disappointed in Sam for reverting to safety first - mainly because Man Utd were there for the taking. Nocerino was outmuscled against Stoke, but he certainly wasn't outplayed. I would have liked to see him stay in, and Armero did enough for me to start in place of Linda. Can't complain with the Collins recall but Reid is rapid and perhaps it was better to stick with him for this one. Diame on the wing frustates me. Mind you - Diame in the team full stop frustrates me.

However, we started okay and very much on the front foot. We were using Downing nicely and building through the wings, before getting decent crosses in.

Then the freak goal, which I really felt knocked the stuffing out of us. It was a foul on Tomkins. Perhaps he could have been stronger, but that one is black and white for me. It's a foul full stop.

Second one another kick in the nuts for the team as counter attacks always are. Rooney very fortunate to steer in a fluffed clearance.

From that point onwards it was the worst I've seen at the Boleyn since Sam has been here. No invention, no bottle, no responsibility. But personally I felt it was more a sign of players hiding, rather than a tactical approach. Sam was going apeshit in the second half trying to get the ball fed out wide, rather than going back to front straight away. Whenever Taylor or Linda got the ball, they just lifted it in the air - in no direction!

One to forget, but certainly not one to revisit the Stick or Twist Thread in my opinion. We would have lost that match 4-0 under Zola.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2490 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

DODGYDAL wrote:
Me and my pals thought he really cocked up for that goal should never has turned his back on the ball he lost the flight of the ball, honestly think if he had back tracked whilst watching the ball he could have just caught it.
That was my opinion at the time and having watched the goal again it is still my opinion, Adrian paniced and lost the ball when with a bit more composure he could have judged the flight of the ball better.

I still don't think this Man Utd team is as good as they could be but we played into their hands. Fellani was picking up most of the second balls from Carroll. The movement of their front men caused us issues with the zones meaning no one tracked runners and the number moving meant that spaces were opening up, not the first time either. Man Utd mixed up their crosses, some driven, some on the floor and some floaty. All of ours were floated in and far too many hit to the far post, often when there was no one there.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Billydinho wrote:I haven't read the thread but we were f*cking terrible and it's been pretty much par for the season.

No structure, no cohesion, no fluidity, no passing.., how many attempts on target did we have? I counted one.

We were sh*t today, really f*cking sh*t, .

I'm not stupid enough to think we could roll Man United over with an attacking force worth £120 million plus but a shot - not a header - on target against a makeshift back four wasn't too much to ask for.
Pretty much sums it up
We were just terrible. Just awful to watch, with no hint of quality, imagination or even doing the basics right. I'm not sure what we (ie Sam) were trying to achieve with the team we sent out

A few random observations - definitely a foul by Rooney, and he knew it. I'm sure if he hadn't just fouled Tonks, he wouldn't have taken the shot on. One of those where as he was waiting for the whistle to blow, he thought "f*** it, might as well have a pop...."
Didn't look like a penalty to me with the Nolan incident

We seemed incapable of doing the very basics. It was like the team had a collective fuzziness of the brain, making stupid decisions, incapable of making the simplest of passes, nevermind actually doing something that might ask a question of the opposition. I can't help feeling it was a mental thing borne from having too much respect for "United's Superstars"

Having said that, I don't buy that ManYoo are utterly shyte, as many seem to have suggested. Sure, they have had a disappointing season so far, but they are in good form right now, and do still have a team full of top players

I felt Sam got his tactics for the last 2 games the wrong way around. He picked the solid defensive line up against ManYoo, when I'd have though the more skilful Reid & Noscherino would have been better suited in this game, and the solid battlers of Collins & Taylor may have been better suited to the more physical threat of Stoke... It was bizarre handing Noscherino a start against what must be one of the most typically English sides we'll face (same with Reid - if ever there was a game for 2 big, good in the air CB's it has to be away to Stoke), and yet against a side who play more on the floor (and at home) Sam reverted back to the players more suited to the physical battle....

Hard to find a single positive word to say about that performance
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Hambrosia Stu wrote:
I felt Sam got his tactics for the last 2 games the wrong way around. He picked the solid defensive line up against ManYoo, when I'd have though the more skilful Reid & Noscherino would have been better suited in this game, and the solid battlers of Collins & Taylor may have been better suited to the more physical threat of Stoke... It was bizarre handing Noscherino a start against what must be one of the most typically English sides we'll face (same with Reid - if ever there was a game for 2 big, good in the air CB's it has to be away to Stoke), and yet against a side who play more on the floor (and at home) Sam reverted back to the players more suited to the physical battle....

Hard to find a single positive word to say about that performance
Spot on. I imagine he will stick to what he knows against Hull and go physical (minus the inclusion of Reid in for Tomkins). Surely we should be taking the game to them, without sounding arrogant, its Hull at home for goodness sake, we really shouldn't be sitting back and playing for a clean sheet and hoping we nick a goal.
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

I must be in a minority of one but I didn't really think we were that bad. I think the two freaky goals took the wind out of sails but I thought for most of the first half we matched them. We were holding the ball and recycling it well in their half. Downing got round the back a couple of times. We were putting them under pressure and winning corners.

Wasn't the worst performance I'd seen this year.