West Ham Utd 2-1 Hull City (26/03/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 472 likes

Re: West Ham United v Hull: match thread

Post by Sloop John B »

RM6 wrote:But what the f*ck does he know he's only professional with 10 years experience and a couple of hundred games to draw his conclusions from.
Only following the managers instructions to not show for the ball, not pass it to a team mate and certainly don't try to control it.

This manager really does stick his head in the sand and refuse to accept what's blatantly obvious.
RM6

Post by RM6 »

Sloop John B wrote: Only following the managers instructions to not show for the ball, not pass it to a team mate and certainly don't try to control it.

This manager really does stick his head in the sand and refuse to accept what's blatantly obvious.
Just before the own goal Karama was waxing lyrical about the time we were taking on the ball and the number of touches. It was a very good point.

I'm sure they're sent out with the instruction f*ck about as much as possible and take 8 touches when one will do!!! :wink:

Some of our lads aren't great and we've work to do in the summer on recruitment.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

RM6 wrote:
Behave, we'd been ok. Hull aren't as sh*t as people think.
I think this says everything i need to know again....
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Why are people going on this "Hull aren't that bad" line?

Every time we play badly against someone sh*t people justify it by making the other team look good. Happened with Norwich away, Palace away, Stoke away, Hull at Home.

These are sh*t teams. If they're all better than us then who exactly are we better than?

Hull are terrible. Huddlestone looked great on Wednesday because no one tackled him. He has fantastic technical ability but there's a reason he plays for Hull.

Livermore couldn't get a sniff in that Tottenham midfield where they now ply some kid called Bentaleb.

Alex Bruce has flopped at every club he's been at - in the Championship.

James Chester, never played above the Championship.

Sagbo - woeful lump. No better than Carlton Cole.

But you're all right, Hull are a great side. That's why they dominated us with ten men.
RM6

Post by RM6 »

Romford wrote: I think this says everything i need to know again....
Posted before we scored. Every match report I've read had us well on top before the sending off.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

RM6 wrote:
Posted before we scored. Every match report I've read had us well on top before the sending off.
We had started the game really brightly. Crowd was bouncing.

Sending off killed us, for whatever reason we couldn't play against them with 10 men.
brun61

Post by brun61 »

cant find a reason why fat boy is getting support, we were utter garbage against 10 men the other night, to long on the ball, no movement, going backwards or across, sod me at 1 stage they had 9 players on the pitch & we went backwards, also why are our throw ins so slow 2 be taken then given to the other team, we only play one way and that is known by every other team, what the **** are liverpool going to do to us
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Billydinho wrote:Why are people going on this "Hull aren't that bad" line?

But you're all right, Hull are a great side. That's why they dominated us with ten men.
You could easily say the same about many of our teams and I would imagine that many of the teams that we turned over last year were making similarly disparging remarks about the likes of Noble, Vaz Te, Demel, McCartney, Jussi, Cole et al.

From what I've seen this year, every side in the bottom 10 is much of a muchness. They all have the ability to beat each other and it's all about getting tactics right and raising the game on the night. We're a pretty average Premier League side with some quality players spattered throughout....like every other bottom 10 side.

Hull have had some great results this year. They're by no means a poor team and we have no divine right to beat them. People are probably pointing out that they've had a good year and it wasn't a game that we should expect to walk....which I agree with.

We were poor though, and have been mediocre this season. It doesn't make Hull a bad side though.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

RM6 wrote:
So you mean to say you actually get a better view and can give a better opinion if you are actually there ??

I rest my case...
Brian Fantana

Post by Brian Fantana »

The thing that was highlighted for me against Hull was our lack of movement, football is a simple game, pass and move, I see time and time again our players pass the ball and just stand there, no one is making a run into space to receive the ball back. So static it is mind blowing.
This is a basic football principle that these players seem incapable of being able to perform.
We are by far the worst passing team i have ever witnessed at this level and not one player ever looks comfortable in possession.
I do wonder exactly what Sam has them do in training.
RM6

Post by RM6 »

Romford wrote: So you mean to say you actually get a better view and can give a better opinion if you are actually there ??

I rest my case...
Yet I wasn't there and managed to form the same opinion as most of the Journos in the country.
Kialos
Has liked: 1548 likes

Post by Kialos »

I thought George Parris summed it up quite succinctly at half time.
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

Ironwerx wrote:I love Noble, He epitomises West Ham for me.

But he is slow, often clumsy and rarely demonstrates an ability to open anything up.

He works hard.

At the risk of getting drowned for being a witch, I'd venture he's a slightly better Taylor, and by better I mean he's our product and gets preferential treatment because of that fact.

But our midfield is sorely lacking in pace, bite and creative guile, and the ineptitude of our attack, and our back to front playing style, is partly because our midfield is below par and inconsistent - if that was addressed Noble would probably need looking at too. Only saying it cos it's true.
Noble's performances have been brilliant and I'm the last person to don claret and blue specs. The way he has shielded the back 4 has been nothing short of incredible. He is a deep-lying playmaker in the Pirlo mould (before you jump down my throat I'm not in any way comparing their abilities, but the jobs that they do). You do not need pace for this position, you just need to keep things ticking over, which he does very well. It isn't up to him to "open things up". That is supposed to be the job of our most advanced midfielder, Nolan, and the wingers. It's not true because you arrogantly state it, that isn't how truth works.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

RM6 wrote: Yet I wasn't there and managed to form the same opinion as most of the Journos in the country.
After reading so much dross from Journos and have actually been put in harms way because of the lies they have wrote....your view doesn't surprise me. They also have a higher regard for themselves than they deserve.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Brian Fantana wrote:The thing that was highlighted for me against Hull was our lack of movement, football is a simple game, pass and move, I see time and time again our players pass the ball and just stand there, no one is making a run into space to receive the ball back. So static it is mind blowing.
This is a basic football principle that these players seem incapable of being able to perform.
We are by far the worst passing team i have ever witnessed at this level and not one player ever looks comfortable in possession.
It was even worse v the Mancs...yet he still played the same team
Claretandblueyank
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Claretandblueyank »

Kialos wrote:I thought George Parris summed it up quite succinctly at half time.
What did he say?

Agree with earlier point about us playing well up until the sending off. I just did not understand why Sam did not change things when clearly our approach to 10 men was not working. Luck aside and it would have cost us.
Kialos

Post by Kialos »

Brian Fantana wrote:The thing that was highlighted for me against Hull was our lack of movement, football is a simple game, pass and move, I see time and time again our players pass the ball and just stand there, no one is making a run into space to receive the ball back. So static it is mind blowing.

I could not agree more. It must be down to what is being drilled into them in training because if they could not undertake such basic footballing principles they would never have made the grade. IMO our players are not as bad as they are being made to look.
Kialos

Post by Kialos »

[quote="Claretandblueyank"

What did he say?

[/quote]

He was asked if he was enjoying the game, he diplomatically said he was enjoying the score. He said nothing further!
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 472 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Scratchy wrote:Noble's performances have been brilliant and I'm the last person to don claret and blue specs. The way he has shielded the back 4 has been nothing short of incredible. He is a deep-lying playmaker in the Pirlo mould (before you jump down my throat I'm not in any way comparing their abilities, but the jobs that they do). You do not need pace for this position, you just need to keep things ticking over, which he does very well. It isn't up to him to "open things up". That is supposed to be the job of our most advanced midfielder, Nolan, and the wingers. It's not true because you arrogantly state it, that isn't how truth works.
Totally agree and yet another season where Nobles performances start to fade towards the end of the season as we're literally expecting him to run the entire show EVERY week.

He's a great player and I think he's found his niche as a deep lying playmaker.

Diame is the only player we have who can beat a player and move into space in the middle of the park, problem is he's as likely to give it away then keep it. He's the one that needs upgrading. Noble is fine with me!!
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

Sloop John B wrote:Totally agree and yet another season where Nobles performances start to fade towards the end of the season as we're literally expecting him to run the entire show EVERY week.

He's a great player and I think he's found his niche as a deep lying playmaker.

Diame is the only player we have who can beat a player and move into space in the middle of the park, problem is he's as likely to give it away then keep it. He's the one that needs upgrading. Noble is fine with me!!
We used to have a player like that who didn't give the ball away.

Morris Ravelson or something. Whatever happened to him?