Sunderland 1-2 West Ham Utd (31/03/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

_fortunes_

Re: Sunderland v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by _fortunes_ »

Not important to us but doubt Sunderland will go down, with two games in hand against WBA & Swansea takes their games left to play at 8.

Sure Armero had only his first outing and quite a nervy one at that but is really best suited to a wing judging by his height and speed alone. I would not play him at left back but rather in a more forward position, until he's showcased the composure needed at any rate.

Having said that, at one point though he lost possession and then speedy gonzales style he won it back. He is no regular gonzales that's for sure.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Nice to see Taylor continue to earn himself a renewal on a short-term contract.

All over the field again last night. Very important defensive header towards the end.

Freed up Noble to take the ball repeatedly into the opponent's half.
Hackney Hammer

Post by Hackney Hammer »

Any idea of the number we took up there?

Any pics?
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Reckon we had over a 1000, plenty of flags down the front as well.
We actually won away, who'd have thought it!
MadMart
Location: "overhead a rainbow appears..... in Black and White"
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by MadMart »

I got it wrong - I never thought we would win - pretty ugly football and more than a helping hand from Lady Luck, but we're almost safe and that's what matters.
maverick2305

Post by maverick2305 »

If I can just add as well as my continuing run of never seing west ham get bet when seing them live,hurrah, I was very impressed by the sunderland stewards,police officers and even the fans,got the metro back after match and had a chat to some of them, not one had an issue with West Ham unlike some other places I have been,ie Newcastle so fair play to them.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

_fortunes_ wrote:Not important to us but doubt Sunderland will go down, with two games in hand against WBA & Swansea takes their games left to play at 8.
Their next games are against Spurs, Everton, Man City and Chelsea.

They also have Man Utd.

Awful lot of pressure on those two games you mention. Think they're gone personally and will finish bottom when all said and done.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 807 likes
Total likes: 3020 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

An extremely enjoyable evening amongst our travelling support last night who got right behind the team from the first minute to the last .

Not a jeer in ear shot and the only boos , and they were loud, were for the home side at half time .

It's a long way home from Sunderland with fog in the North East making the journey even harder but an away win always help morale at 3 am I can tell you .The game itself, while not a classic had plenty to entertain us: Noble was the clear MoTm and we saw a couple of vital saves by Adrian to boot .

Sam celebrated very publicly , as he had every right to since his number one signing last summer got us off to a good start with a well headed early goal .Poetic justice was served when Mo got the second moments after I had finished reminding my mate next to me of his woeful performance against Burnley . I'll rubbish Nolan against Liverpool and hopefully that will do the trick .

What's becoming ever clearer is we need a couple of full backs in the summer and a genuine all action all energy box to box midfielder .Having said that a win on the road , however achieved, is always welcome ,especially against a team who were far from the worst side we have faced this year .

I think they'll survive ,we'll finish 10th , same as last year .

Final note though to the travelling support -what a fantastic bunch of supporters we have , many making huge sacrifices to get behind the team and support the club, players, manager and football in general .Last night we had the usual never missers from Bristol , Staines, Dover ( yes down by the white cliffs), Sussex, posh parts of Essex and even the not so posh parts, London, Sussex, truly over land and sea .

Hopefully the clubs Vice Chair who I didn't see there last night, will give the travelling support a mention in her paid for comments in a National newspaper this weekend .

Not a bad turnout for an 8pm on Monday night ......A good night , and good value for money with the PL price support on the ticket . :thup:
wizzo_66

Post by wizzo_66 »

Absolute torrid journey to and from Bournemouth but I echo those comments Pinky. It was one of the best aways all season and worth being half dead at my desk this morning :asleep:

Adrian's follow up save to that shot in the second half, what a moment!

Diame was really frustrating all game but credit to him, he got another vital goal. I maintain he plays for himself though, not for the team.

I thought Armero looked good when he came on. Positionally suspect but took so much pressure off going forward with the ball.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

You travelled to and from Bournemouth and are at work this morning? Superb effort mate!
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 807 likes
Total likes: 3020 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Knighter10WHU wrote: You travelled to and from Bournemouth and are at work this morning? Superb effort mate!
Only if it was the far side of Bournemouth ....
wizzo_66

Post by wizzo_66 »

I had a half day yesterday so the delays weren't too much of a problem.

Back at 4am so about 4 hours sleep but luckily I only live 20 minute walk from work and I will leave early this afternoon for an early night!
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 364 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Good effort Wizzo and all those that made the journey last night !

Great win, such a better performance than the last couple too. Pressure off being away from home perhaps ?

Don't understand them not starting Adam Johnson for such a vital game, glad they didn't though...
wizzo_66

Post by wizzo_66 »

To be fair I hadn't been to the Stadium of Light so it was one for the check list and with the ST discount it was a no brainer.

Won't be doing it on a weekday again now I've been :lol:
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

wizzo_66 wrote:I had a half day yesterday so the delays weren't too much of a problem.

Back at 4am so about 4 hours sleep but luckily I only live 20 minute walk from work and I will leave early this afternoon for an early night!
I have to have a half day in the morning after home midweek games... Makes me seem like such a lightweight now! :lol:
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

I have a headache this morning.....
We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

Top effort by those that travelled last night :thup:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

How odd , another win ???

BOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo [ takes breath ] oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! :)
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

Billy Hunt wrote:Don't understand them not starting Adam Johnson for such a vital game, glad they didn't though...
It was probably to cater for their formation of 3 at the back with wing backs that Johnson doesn't really fit.

The other thing is that he doesn't seem to last 90 minutes as whenever I've seen them on the box he's been substituted. He's definitely more effective against tired players so it may have been he wouldn't have been so impressive from the start, if we had not been two up (big if) then bringing him on in the second half could have been a master stroke.
Aycliffe

Post by Aycliffe »

A very pleasant evening spent at the Stadium of Light and I even enjoyed travelling to/from the game with a coach load of Mackems :lol:

A terrific turnout from us given it being on a Monday night all the way up in Sunderland. On the game I thought we thoroughly deserved the 3 points but it would have made it less tense if Downing had of slotted his chance away but then it wouldn’t have been West Ham would it!!