West Ham Utd 1-2 Liverpool (06/04/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ryanrc

Re: West Ham United v Liverpool: Match Thread

Post by ryanrc »

I was delighted for Demel to get a goal; this is a controversial one but he's been our only consistent performer this season and he'd be my player of the year.

Little old West Ham made it really hard for the bindippers and they could easily have left with a point or less. I can't see them winning the league with the need to overcome City and Chelsea. Chelsea will beat them without a doubt
markmc

Post by markmc »

ryanrc wrote:I was delighted for Demel to get a goal; this is a controversial one but he's been our only consistent performer this season and he'd be my player of the year.

Little old West Ham made it really hard for the bindippers and they could easily have left with a point or less. I can't see them winning the league with the need to overcome City and Chelsea. Chelsea will beat them without a doubt
^^ Got to agree with this on Demel :thup:
helloducks

Post by helloducks »

So did anyone pass the Scousers trudging down Barking Road with their kitbags? Or was that a little bit of a fib by Gerrard.
markmc

Post by markmc »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

helloducks wrote:So did anyone pass the Scousers trudging down Barking Road with their kitbags? Or was that a little bit of a fib by Gerrard.
They parked at the OS and walked down the Green Route.
_fortunes_

Post by _fortunes_ »

They're always trying to pin something on us, whoever comes up with this...

West Ham are believed to have broken Premier League regulations by screening a replay of the incident involving Andy Carroll and Simon Mignolet which led to our equaliser against Liverpool yesterday.

The giant screen at Upton Park replayed the goal after it had finally been awarded by referee Anthony Taylor following a lengthy debate with his assistant.

Referee’s assistant Stuart Burt flagged for an infringement on the keeper but Taylor – after a lengthy conversation – awarded the goal.

It was at this point that pictures showed Carroll’s foul on Mignolet, prompting Liverpool’s players to urge the officials to consider the footage.

The replay was soon cut short by the screen operator, who takes a feed of Sky Sports coverage but is able to override reruns of controversial incidents.

The screen also showed a graphic of Steven Gerrard’s previous penalty attempts prior to his first-half conversion from the spot.

Although that does not contravene Premier League regulations, had Adrian saved his spot kick we could have expected a hugely interesting debate

http://likes.com/whufc_news/hammers-may ... qmV&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
irving boleyn
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Rocketron wrote:Over the past few weeks I have seen the Scousers blow teams out of the water very early in the game.
Mainly by very quick interpassing and the speed of Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling.
That didn't happen yesterday.
Why?
We are geared up to handle that with our two excellent centre backs and two dedicated defensive midfielders, but usually the ball keeps coming back repeatedly until a mistake occurs, However, somehow we were able to retain possession to an unusual degree. Maybe Diame and Downing having better games.Or Liverpool not too worried about midfield possession and concentrating on stopping the crosses. Johnston did sit unusually deep.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Armero got forward far more than McCartney does which added some balance to the side. Playing two def midfielders is fine, but you have to have full-backs prepared to get forward and McCartney doesn't do that.

So often, Noble or Taylor will have the ball on the left hand side and will look for an outball to McCartney, but he isn't there, so inevitably the ball will be knocked back to Tomkins or Reid who then just hoist it forward towards Carroll. This doesn't happen as much on the right as Demel gets much closer to his winger.
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

VikeltAussie
Location: Sydney, Sydney, oh Sydney said I, I will stand in Moore Park til the day I die

Post by VikeltAussie »

who this Linda, TTS?
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :wink:

But yeah you are 100% correct.

Sorry if it's been discussed but is there any truth to the whole "parked the coach a mile away" and all that rubbish?
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Rocketron wrote:Over the past few weeks I have seen the Scousers blow teams out of the water very early in the game.
Mainly by very quick interpassing and the speed of Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling.
That didn't happen yesterday.
Why?
We have two very good central defenders, and we play two defensive midfielders in front of them. Plus Diame who is a mobile tackling machine sitting in front of them. To be honest, it should be difficult to get through us, even for a good side like the Dippers. Not many teams play with 2 DM at home.

Often this set-up is to the detriment of our attacking play but we had a better balance on Saturday than recently, maybe due to being safe. We didn't actually threaten too much but that was more down to them being decent and our lack of goalscorers (take Nolan out of the equation and Carroll is the only one with any record at all of notching more than once in a blue moon) than because of Allardyce's set-up.
VikeltAussie
Location: Sydney, Sydney, oh Sydney said I, I will stand in Moore Park til the day I die

Post by VikeltAussie »

sorry just seen the thread, if someone has a video of it put it up!
GrahamF
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by GrahamF »

I noticed that The Sun sent their usual anti-West Ham reporter to the match.Apart from the biased report e.g. Liverpool were now battering West Ham he saw 8 shots on target from Liverpool compared to our one. I must have missed them because apart from the penalties I only saw 1 real save Adrian had to make.Then he decides that Tomkins was the worst player on the pitch with only 5 marks. Noble and Reid got 6 each whereas 9 Liverpool players got 7 or more. Utter rubbish.
shammy

Post by shammy »

Everyone on the Guardian football Podcast agreed that BOTH penalties were correct!...Thats basically me done with this game now. How can a keeper get the ball first and be penalised for what happens afterwards? Have they changed the laws?...So it means a keeper can never go to ground.
richywhufc

drop nolan and play diame in the 'yaya role'

Post by richywhufc »

As much as i love the chicken, i think diame playing behind carroll surging forward would be more of a threat than andy c trying to get nolan into the game
DODGYDAL

Re: drop nolan and play diame in the 'yaya role'

Post by DODGYDAL »

richywhufc wrote:As much as i love the chicken, i think diame playing behind carroll surging forward would be more of a threat than andy c trying to get nolan into the game

But Diame cant finish for toilet.
richywhufc

Post by richywhufc »

yh he's not the best but he is scoring as many as any body else in the squad, and more to the point more than nolan since he's been back in the squad
DODGYDAL

Post by DODGYDAL »

Nolan is our top scorer...
richywhufc

Post by richywhufc »

Yh so if u read it carefully, it says that since diame has been back in the squad he's scored more than nolan. 8-)
DODGYDAL

Post by DODGYDAL »

And that matters why? Diame has made more apperances this season than Nolan and scored less goals. Isnt that what matters when comparing goal scoring stats IE the course of the season as opposed to the last few games?